Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Plusnet offer FTTP?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: When will Plusnet offer FTTP?

@Lorian wrote:

FTTP doesn't rely on FTTC or DSLAMS - at least not what they building installing here -  I am miles from no where and the FTTC cab is 1.5 miles away and the exchange is about 2.5 miles. FTTC is terrible here.

The new FTTP service looks like its running over a 48 core single mode Fibre running directly from a near by pole off to the exchange. i'm expecting them to fit CBT(s )on the pole, which they havent yet.

it wasnt supposed to be going in, no fanfare they just turned up and did it over a few days. wholesale of course still says says FTTP not available - but openreach fibre check says "we are building ultrafast in you area" i

where are the "by 2025" build plans? be interesting so see if there is any mention...

I know true FTTP doesn't rely on FTTC or DSLAMS @Lorian - but from my experience the way it is being installed into new developments round here, that is the way they are going. There have been a couple of small new 'estates' built round here in the past 18 months, and they are FTTC only, although they are underground fed - no poles visible anywhere near, and no overhead cables.

Everyone else, including me, who has asked when we may get it has been told 'sorry, you are going to have a long wait' if we ask BT, and if we ask the two other 'cable' company's operating in the city, the response is 'no idea'.

Sorry, I'll have to search - or you could - in this topic, for the references other people have posted, I only have the February 2021 PDF report which won't paste on here.

John
Lorian
Grafter

yeah my situation is quite different - very rural - and after a google I see I am in a location that was added in their "2025" list.

I work from home using 4G as my FTTC is so slow.

jab1
Legend

Not surprised your FTTC is that bad, if the cab is 1.5 miles away. I'm about 100 yards away from the cab (as the crow flies) but closer to 500 when you see where the cables go, and just over 2 miles from the exchange, but have been advised by my intended ISP I should expect 35-37Mb/s when I do the switch.

John
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@jab1 Please don't make assumptions about the working of technology that you are quite clearly ignorant of the full details of.

You do not need to have FTTC broadband and supporting Cabinets in place to get FTTP.

The Capel exchange I am supported by in Surrey has no FTTP supporting cabinets for most of the lines in the central exchange area within a couple of miles of the cabinet.  This is because in 2015 they jumped straight from ADSL2+ copper to a Passive Optical Network (PON).  These PON cables still join up in order to jump to a larger fibre optic cable to the exchange but there are no FTTC supporting Cabinets and no FTTC available.  So you can have 900Mbps from BT Retail for £60 per month if you needs those speeds.

In any event your presumption that you need FTTC first to stand a chance of being upgraded to FTTP is totally and utterly wrong and almost certainly at this point in time remote rural areas not enabled for FTTC will eventually jump straight to FTTP because they are too far from the exchange for FTTC to give any appreciable uplift in speed to the surrounding homes.

Similarly new build estates do not have FTTC supporting cabinets or any old copper phone lines needed for FTTC and they only have fibre phone cables so the only broadband and phone service available is a fibre optic based one.

jab1
Legend

@Capvermell You have totally misinterpreted or misunderstood what I have posted. I am well aware that you do not need FTTC cabinets to get FTTP - if I gave the impression that I thought you did, it was in error. What you do need though, is the fibre/optical cables and associated connection equipment, and that is what is 'missing' in many areas - such as mine, except, as I said, where the said cables already exist and it is sensible and practicable to install the termination equipment into the new-builds rather than install ADSL or FTTC, both of which will (very) eventually be superseded.

The new-builds I refer to locally are 'infills' in areas where we DO have FTTC and the cabinets to support it, but where older properties are not as yet scheduled to be upgraded with the said full optical connection.

Also, although keyboard warriors don't bother me, please don't assume I'm stupid.

John