Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When a PN employee calls

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

When a PN employee calls

I have had some tickets open on my account for a while, one of them is a fault ticket. A PN employee (forgot the name sorry) has rung and said:
"I'm ?? form Plusnet, is your fault fixed?", or words to that effect. The number was withheld and I asked if it was to do with the extra 0 and the reply was that he couldn't answer that due to security.
REALLY?
He rings me from a unidentifiable phone number. Continues to ask me a question about a service I hold with a company and then refuses to answer my question on security grounds?
I don't object to the call per se, but the way it was conducted leaves a lot to be desired.
Mark
20 REPLIES 20
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: When a PN employee calls

Since I block all withheld numbers I haven't had any of them, but yep agree if they are calling from a withheld number & refuse to answer any questions they would get the same treatment from me.
joclark
Grafter

Good afternoon, if an agent calls you they do need to go through security to discus an account. I apologies if he did not go through this when he contact you. I find this rather peculiar, however, the agent will have left notes on the account to let you know what is happening in regards to the fault which you are experiencing.  
If you would like to find out how your fault is progressing please check your account.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Sorry
If a person calls from a withheld number and says -
I am from Plusnet regarding your problem
Please confirm - and asks for either personal or account details - how does the person being called know he is from Plusnet and that it isn't a phishing call
If someone called me and asked for anything other than to confirm my name they would get short shrift
I think Plusnet need to look at this
joclark
Grafter

Good afternoon, I understand your point when it comes to being called from a withheld number. I will be having this raised internally. However in the meantime if you receive a call from Plusnet and you are unsure if it is Plusnet, advise the person on the call to leave notes on your account and you will respond accordingly.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Just to clarify, no personal details were requested, it just seems really daft to ring and ask if a fault has been cleared but not want to discuss the fault and not want to take me through security. Ad all this when making contact from a withheld number, that was the issue as I don't normally answer them.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I think the thought is that you aren't discussing personal details (a generic fault). I've brought up in the past that the number is withheld, but unfortunately it wasn't possible to change. Agents can't do this manually though, which again is something I can suggest.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: plusnettony
I've brought up in the past that the number is withheld, but unfortunately it wasn't possible to change.

Sorry, but this is simply not true.  It is possible to change, all that is required is to lift CLI with-hold on PlusNet phone lines - PlusNet's choice to do that is a different matter, not one of possibility.
It is not necessary to "expose" the individual line numbers; a generic number can be configured across a group of lines.  This needs to go back to your phone system provider.  There is no excuse for withholding the calling number.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Townman is 100% correct.
As someone who has, in the past, been responsible for IT and telecoms in various corporates including large inbound and outbound call centres I can confirm that this has been possible for literally decades.
No excuses.  Angry
JohnJ-B
Grafter

@HPsauce & @Townman are 100% correct.
However, since any number can be programmed in, I'm NOT certain of the real value in doing it!
To be fair to PN, the Banks seem to have the same problem! I've lost count of the number of times that a Bank has called me (from either a Number-Withheld or an Unrecognised Number) & then expect me to simply take their word that they are who they say!
On each & every occasion, the Caller has INSISTED that I provide Security Clearance details BEFORE they will provide any confirmation of their own credibility! When I insist that I terminate the call & call back in on a known-number (where I'm fully prepared to go "through-security"), I've usually found that they have been vindictive & have either locked my Account or annotated a Note "alleging" that I was refusing to comply with Security!
HPsauce
Pro

It would contravene various rules, possibly laws, to program in a number other than a valid one for the organisation calling you.
JohnJ-B
Grafter

@HPsauce, I sympathise with the point made, but:-
1 - I'm not certain if the Scammers are concerned about that!
2 - I don't recall anyone ever being prosecuted for it (although I'm not certain which law would apply)!
In other words, even if an inbound call number looks familiar, would you blindly trust it & provide personal responses to Security questions?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I set up a company's phone system which included 10 DDI lines.
Some staff were happy for their DDI number to be returned to an inbound caller.
Others were not and I configured theirs to return the main switchboard number.
I also wondered about a scammer returning a legitimate bank number to people they called to reinforce their 'credibility'.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: JohnJ
In other words, even if an inbound call number looks familiar, would you blindly trust it & provide personal responses to Security questions?
Absolutely not, never ever. And I don't.
I've had calls from my bank about card fraud and the number isn't hidden, but seeing it means I take the calls seriously and am polite before hanging up saying nothing substantial.
I then ring back using a number taken from their paperwork.
Calls with no number get what they deserve;  at best a "brusque" response.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I had a call the other day from some who refused to identify themselves until I had answered some security questions. I hung up in the end as they wouldn't budge.
It's time companies in this day and age of scams got a grip and provided a 'reverse' password system they agree with the customer on sign up so the customer can ask the company for various alphanumerics when they call.