Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the official policy on retaining email after migrating

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What is the official policy on retaining email after migrating

You may think I should know - being officially a Legend - but I am just confused
A bit of history - as I remember it
Originally when migrating the email addresses were retained with the account downgraded to a free account and I am not even sure this had to be requested
I think that feature may then have just been removed but I may be wrong about that
Subsequently It changed to only being retained if you paid for it and this is still officially the case http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/cancellation.shtml#generalPolicies
5 When we receive confirmation that the migration has completed, our systems currently will automatically downgrade the account. See General Policies, points 5 and 6 for details.
5 When an account is closed, access to all account features provided by Plusnet will be removed. This includes email, hosted web-space and Member Centre access (including discussion forums and access to the Help Assistant Ticketing system).
6 It is possible, when requesting an account cancellation, to request a downgrade to a mail only package for £20 a year instead of full account closure. This will allow continued access to email and some member centre features. This option must be requested at the time of cancellation.
However this was posted last week
Quote from: Matthew
If you want to keep the e-mail address active all you have to do is request it when your cancelling.
We'll move you onto a free account after you move away.

So which is correct and can the official documentation please make it absolutely clear
In addition what happens to an account holder also has Referrals
- does the account automatically close so all referrals are lost
- is the account downgraded to a free account so that the referrals continue to be paid
- if the above happens what other facilities associated with the account are retained such as email, web space, etc.
9 REPLIES 9
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: What is the official policy on retaining email after migrating

I believe that the account is closed with components being removed. If mail or referrals need keeping we'd suggest requesting a downgrade when contacting us to cancel.
The policy needs updating as part of the MAC removal changes that are upcoming, it's possibly already included in those.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Chris
Can you please respond to the specific questions
Downgrade - free or not
Referrals - effect of having them on the request or otherwise to downgrade
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

In addition what happens to an account holder also has Referrals
- does the account automatically close so all referrals are lost
- is the account downgraded to a free account so that the referrals continue to be paid
- if the above happens what other facilities associated with the account are retained such as email, web space, etc.

- If the account is closed, rather than downgraded then no referrals discounts will be paid.
- If requested, yes.
- Email can be retained, if it's a free email service then I don't believe there is authenticated SMTP available. Web space will be removed I believe (although most accounts do not have webspace now)
Downgrade - free or not
Referrals - effect of having them on the request or otherwise to downgrade

- Depends on the type of mail account requested.
- If the account is closed rather than downgraded then the referrals won't be paid.
I've asked for the online policy to be clarified and internal documentation made clearer too.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Thanks Chris
I assume that any external viewable changes may not happen until the rollout of the gaining supplier led migration on 20th June 2015
gofaster
Rising Star

- Email can be retained, if it's a free email service then I don't believe there is authenticated SMTP available.
Downgrade - free or not

- Depends on the type of mail account requested.

I didn't realise that there were different types of email account.
What do I specifically need to ask for to keep my email account going for free?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I see this question was never answered!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not only wasn't it answered but I can't find anything about it in the current Terms and Conditions when looking at Migration only Ceasing the Service where it says

It is possible, when requesting a cease of service, to request a downgrade to a mail only package for £20.28 a year instead of full account closure. This will allow continued access to email and some Member Centre features. This option must be requested at the time of cancellation.

Assuming that this also applies to migration if requested before the migration happens where are the details of this package

Now we come to the question about referrals

Previously customers with referrals would have the account kept open for payment but now I see here https://www.plus.net/help/legal/my-referrals-scheme/ that

• Should you decide to leave us, any outstanding referral credit not yet applied to subscription charges will be lost and cannot be converted to a monetary value. Referral credits are non-transferable between account holders.

I assume that this means that to keep the referrals you now need to change to the mail only package

Finally - and probably more tricky - what is the position with respect to hosted web space and web site registration for those of us who had a free one after the webmail leak many years ago

So just what is the present legal position

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

@gofaster wrote:
What do I specifically need to ask for to keep my email account going for free?

l believe the free email account is called Plusnet Residential Generic Services.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Oldjim
Resting Legend

where is that described or even mentioned in the legal part