cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is happening to my Broadband?

Word_Warrior
Grafter

What is happening to my Broadband?

It's getting slower and slower, that's what is happening!
See attached.
I've reset and restarted my modem (Netgear DG834n) several times since and it is still getting slower. BT OpenReach have been messing in the cabinet lately, presumably in preparation for the roll out of FTTC in December, should this be causing a slow down or is it more sinister, give me slower and slower BB to sell me the new faster system. Roll_eyes
8 REPLIES 8
TicnTac
Grafter

Re: What is happening to my Broadband?

If resets are re-syncs, then it is possible your profile has been lowered  Undecided However if you think there is a problem going off, raise a support ticket and get things in motion for BT to come and mess your line up even more, sorry for BT to come and sort the line out Wink
For the fibre trials, they normally stick in a new vented cabinet next to the normal green cabinet, so not much messing about should be done in there, plus, BT hasn't done any of the fibre work round us, it has all been contracted out.
Get a fault raised first, and then go from there, or wait until someone with a PN symbol comes on here and throws a few more ideas into the mix.
All the best  Smiley
Word_Warrior
Grafter

The reset I did was the reboot in the Netgear diagnostics and the restart was unplugging it and plugging it back in half an hour later. I have also done in the past a hard reset by holding the reset button in for one minute (read about that one somewhere)
Okay on raising a ticket but it would mean having to unplug everything (again) put the modem into the master socket and wait for them to do their tests to come up with the answer, "it's working" Angry
I'll continue to monitor it and wait here for a PN techie to say something too! Cheesy
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Word Warrior,
I've run some diagnostic line checks for you, they don't show anything obvious, no drop in IP profile and the connection seems stable. However don't read into that too much as it doesn't mean that there isn't an issue.
Could you please raise this via https://faults.plus.net/applications.php?Module=Faults and reply here with your ticket ID.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Having worked late last night and not arriving home till 1.00am I decided to check emails etc (sad, I know) Anyway, I couldn't. I checked my connection and the wifi network was fine but the diagnostics on my Mac determined first that I had an ISP and Server connection but no Internet then tried again and no Server connection. So I gave up and went to bed. This morning (now 8.47) it was back without me doing anything. This is not the first time this has happened and I have raised a ticket about it a few times with inconclusive results. I have also done another couple of speed tests this morning and lo and behold speeds are back up to an acceptable level (see attached). Has someone been tweaking?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Word Warrior,
No, nothing done at this end. I've noticed that you decided not to raise a ticket in the end (I guess this was due to the last set of diagnostic checks being returned as inconclusive).
If you start to have problems with this again, raise a new fault then let give one of us a shout on here as we'll be happy to do some manual testing for you.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: Word
Having worked late last night and not arriving home till 1.00am I decided to check emails etc (sad, I know) Anyway, I couldn't. I checked my connection and the wifi network was fine but the diagnostics on my Mac determined first that I had an ISP and Server connection but no Internet then tried again and no Server connection. So I gave up and went to bed. This morning (now 8.47) it was back without me doing anything. This is not the first time this has happened and I have raised a ticket about it a few times with inconclusive results. I have also done another couple of speed tests this morning and lo and behold speeds are back up to an acceptable level (see attached). Has someone been tweaking?
That was a fault (last nights) across much of Plusnets network, when I called to find out what was going off at 1am, a recorded annoucement said 21CN network connections had failed, 3rd party suppliers were going to fix, and that the waiting time for support was in excess of 20 minutes.
I rang off and went to bed, when I awoke all was well.
One strange thing I did notice though, during the fault, my static IP became dynamic, and I suspect the IP addresses I was being assigned were BT's not Plusnets.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Hi Word Warrior,
No, nothing done at this end. I've noticed that you decided not to raise a ticket in the end (I guess this was due to the last set of diagnostic checks being returned as inconclusive).
If you start to have problems with this again, raise a new fault then let give one of us a shout on here as we'll be happy to do some manual testing for you.
Adam

No I didn't in the end as I had to go do some work and it's always a faff as my modem has to be moved to the BT Master socket while the tests are carried out etc but it does happen a lot lately. Also I have to use my iPhone on 3G (when I lose it completely) to fill in the fault checker which is not the easiest thing to do, is there "an App for that"?  Grin There you go, there's a job for your software guys  Cool
Thanks to fourfourdevon for the additional info.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No, there isn't an app I'm afraid but that is a solid gold idea Smiley please don't take this the wrong way but if you don't report it, we can't fix it so please log a fault via the checker if you continue to have problems.
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team