Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What, if anything, are Plusnet doing about slamming with the new system

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What, if anything, are Plusnet doing about slamming with the new system

I raised this because I have just read this http://www.revk.uk/2015/06/slamming.html
P.S. As someone asked on twitter, yes, you can pre-emptively tell us you are not planning to transfer so we reject a request (anti-slamming). It is on the control pages for your line.
19 REPLIES 19
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: What, if anything, are Plusnet doing about slamming with the new system

Interesting read. I remember Rev writing a blog post about this 7 or 8 months ago when we were first notified of the impending changes.
Even with the system that we have, we receive notification when a new provider places an order on one of our customer's lines. We already have the built in customer notification when it happens, which still works.
A couple of (not ideal but the best public) examples of this:
Broadband
Phone
P.S. As someone asked on twitter, yes, you can pre-emptively tell us you are not planning to transfer so we reject a request (anti-slamming). It is on the control pages for your line.

We can put a note on your account to cancel any orders from other parties, however we cannot stop them from placing an order in the first place.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I may be wrong but with the new system are you only permitted to send an email or letter but not phone them as that may be considered coercion to stay
If you are only sending an email is there any backstops if the recipient doesn't reply or indeed doesn't get it
This is specially relevant if the customer is in contract and will get hit for cancellation charges
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I think you're right Jim, calling isn't allowed (though I'm willing to be corrected on that).
Letters get sent out as well, but this is really the limit we can do as an ISP. Arguably a criticism of the process?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Yet another useless Ofcom own goal?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

amcclean
Rising Star

Where do we request a note be placed on our account to stop any unauthorised migration. I wish to place a note on my account.
I have had family who were slammed and lost their phone number not wanting that to happen.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Yet another useless Ofcom own goal?

I read through the consultation document on this and a lot of it made sense.
Slamming is less of an issue than first estimated by OFCOM. I believe the main ISP that was complained about was TT and that through the negative publicity/OFCOM enforcement, there has been a large decline in complaints against TT. The new migration system requires the gaining ISP to keep full details of transfer requests for 12 months, so if an ISP does slam a line, OFCOM has greater evidence to take action if necessary.
One of the big reasons behind scrapping a verification system for migrations was that it was sometimes very difficult for end users to gain a MAC code. There is no incentive from a departing ISP to provide an end user with a MAC code, so some of them make it difficult and put pressure on end users with sales tactics etc. when they want to migrate.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: podman
Where do we request a note be placed on our account to stop any unauthorised migration. I wish to place a note on my account.

Since tickets have (effectively) been abolished I suggest asking Live Chat to do this for you.
David
AndyH
Grafter

Is this actually going to work with Plusnet? Is someone really going to check your account for notes when they receive a NoT?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It certainly won't work if such a note isn't present.
Clearly relying on a such a note would not be wise if an EU receives a transfer-notice email or letter. However if the EU is on holiday and not able to check emails for 14 days, it could provide a back-stop against unwanted transfer.
David
matthews
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just tried and I wasn't able to have a note put on my account for it
Me: Hi, I'd like to put a note on my account to try and prevent against "slamming" now that MAC codes are no longer required. If I decide that I want to leave Plusnet then I will notify you myself first.
Agent: Unfortunately there is no way to 'stop' this from happening however you would receive a notification from us to advise that 'were sorry to hear you are leaving' or similar and we can cancel that takeover as well as feedback the company attempting to take over the line
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Adding a note isn't an official process, and if you have spoken to another provider and they then initiate a transfer it's actually them who have to stop this. It's only when they have refused to cancel the transfer that we can do so.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chrcoluk
Grafter

aaisp state they able to block transfers their end.
[me=chrcoluk]awaits for his line to be slammed.[/me]
matthews
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Chris
Adding a note isn't an official process, and if you have spoken to another provider and they then initiate a transfer it's actually them who have to stop this. It's only when they have refused to cancel the transfer that we can do so.

According to the OFCOM docs on this:
3.212 These actions include that the GP agent uses the appropriate systems tools to
identify precisely the target line/address. It also recommends that the LP notifies the
current occupant (its customer) at the target address. This ensures that the occupant
is well informed on any planned takeover of their line and enables the losing CP to
cancel the transfer if the occupant confirms it is in error

Suggests to me that the LP/LCP/Losing Communications Provider is able to cancel the transfer if the occupant confirms it is in error. Further down, the document states the the LP can use a "Cancel Other" message if there is evidence that the line is being slammed.
While there isn't an official clause to register that you want to prohibit transfers for your account, it looks like AAISP are being proactive about it.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yep, if it's error we can cancel it. However if the customer has spoken to a new provider they should be cancelling it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.