Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to Plusnet customer service and it's Broadband service

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: What happened to Plusnet customer service and it's Broadband service

One other thing I forgot to ask - is your connecting to the router wired or wireless.
If wireless can you try a speed test when connected by wire
Mand
Grafter

Re:What happened to Plusnet customer service and it"s Broadband service

Hi,
Firstly I'd like to apologise for what sounds like some particularly poor customer support.
Your speedtest results clearly show a problem.
Can I ask if you have followed the advice of our faults team and had the voice side of things checked out (it's important not to mention broadband when contacting your phone supplier)?
James
Grafter

Hi Relica,
I've reviewed the information that the faults team has received from you and I've run a check on your telephone line.  Unless your fault was raised via a telephone conversation, or you have spoken directly with our faults team, you appear to have given us practically no information other than "my speed is slow".
Looking at your line itself, it is behaving as I would expect it to, for a relatively long line, albeit with a high target noise margin, presumably down to noise being present on the line.  I would however, expect you to see faster speeds than that of which you have quoted given your 1750Kbps profile.  We are seeing a few errors on your line which could contribute towards your problems, but I still wouldn't expect it to be the cause.
Can you confirm that you are connecting to your master socket via a filter, that you've changed the filter and tried with all of your other telephony devices detached?
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Spider
Quote from: Relica
Date                             Download Speed                    Upload Speed  
Today 22:43                 726 kbps (90.8kB/s)               380 kbps (47.5kB/s)
... then then I may as well cancel broadband and just use dial-up.

With the speeds quoted being at least 12x faster than dial up (max 56kbps) I would stick with broadband.

<pedant mode>
I'm gonna wade in here and just clarify that 56k modems never transmitted at 56k (it's a bit like 'up to 8Mbs').  Their base rate was 33.6k, with the option to be able to use inline compression to increase downstream rates above that (depending on whether the downloaded item was compressible or not)
For most downloads, the maximum achievable rate was 3.4 kilobytes per second, basic rate. 
So, in this instance dialup would be approximately 26.71 times slower than the throughput achieved.
</pedant mode>
That being said, the throughput isn't what it should be on a speed test, so please follow the advice given to see if you can track down where the slowdown is occurring
B.
Relica
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Relica,
I've reviewed the information that the faults team has received from you and I've run a check on your telephone line.  Unless your fault was raised via a telephone conversation, or you have spoken directly with our faults team, you appear to have given us practically no information other than "my speed is slow".
Looking at your line itself, it is behaving as I would expect it to, for a relatively long line, albeit with a high target noise margin, presumably down to noise being present on the line.  I would however, expect you to see faster speeds than that of which you have quoted given your 1750Kbps profile.  We are seeing a few errors on your line which could contribute towards your problems, but I still wouldn't expect it to be the cause.
Can you confirm that you are connecting to your master socket via a filter, that you've changed the filter and tried with all of your other telephony devices detached?

Very unfair that comment as I have given all the information required. This includes speed tests results information regarding my router and microfilters, Virus check and confirmed no change in settings. It sounds as if you are saying  I have to be a fully trained telephone engineer to have a Broadband contract with Plusnet. Of course it's your companies word against mine. The best thing is I change suppliers as like I say i have lost total confidence in your company.
My broadband router is wired and is connected in the master socket as instructed.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the only thing you will achieve by swapping ISP's is taking the problem with you.   people might be able to give you some help, they dont normally ask about Virus, but Kaspereski and Norton are both known to slow  things down.
Edit removed repeated items
Relica
Grafter

Sorry I don't want to appear rude but how can you know this.
What you say is a typical British one in the sense just put up with it! I am not in a fortunate position to give money away for a poor service so that is why I am considering my options.  
Tomorrow It will be over a week since I contacted plusnet about my slow speeds I have had the same automated responses as previous occasions via the ticket system, spent a minimum of two hours waiting for customer service to respond to me via calls and 4 hours of my own time trying to resolve the problem. I have contacted the BBC Watchdog and forwarded my issues to see if they can support me along with trading standards.
Again I don't want to appear to be rude but my speeds are still rubbish I am as confused as ever. I have posted on here my stats as requested but I am still nowhere near getting a fix for my problem.
I would assume that the majority of plusnet customers don't fully understand how broadband works or the information they have to provide to get problems fixed and probably suffer in silence?
Relica
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
the only thing you will achieve by swapping ISP's is taking the problem with you.   people might be able to give you some help, they dont normally ask about Virus, but Kaspereski and Norton are both known to slow  things down.
Edit removed repeated items

I removed AVG free  from my PC to see if it was my anti virus software and these are the results I have after a speed check.
Date                                   Download Speed                               Upload Speed  
Today 21:40                     275 kbps (34.4kB/s)                           375 kbps (46.9kB/s)
I will now reinstall my virus software. Don't think there is anything else  my end I can check?
Mand
Grafter

Is there any noise on your phone line? Do you get disconnections at all?
Relica
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Is there any noise on your phone line? Do you get disconnections at all?

At times yes. Just checked it a few minutes ago and no noise. So what does this mean
Relica
Grafter

Can anyone recommmend fast.co.uk?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you've got a noisy line you'll have exactly the same problems!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
scootie
Grafter

extra usage is all so more expensive unless you buy at 6 or 10gb chunks http://www.fast.co.uk/broadband_extra.php
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi
I dont wish to sound like I dont appreciate your issues, I do, but from what you have said, moving to a new ISP, will more than likely culminate in the same issues. I have thought on numerous occasions of moving ISP for various reasons, but resisted, mainly because of these forums, and some very helpful CSC staff, Other ISPs just dont have this.  If you give all the info, the more knowlegable chaps on these forums, will give you a weath of advice, and fault finding checks.  You are correct in that your speeds nowhere near match what you should be getting. Just a couple of other things, that you may or may not have checked....
What package are you on, have you gone over your allotted bandwidth?
Do you have a Master Socket with a removeable faceplate. If so, are you connected to the test socket behind the removeable faceplate. This takes any internal wiring out of the equation.
Try the quiet line test, at various points during the day and night, Dial 17070 option2. If you hear any noise, crackels hissing etc, then there is a voice fault that will affect your broadband too. Report to your voice provider, but DONT mention broadband.
Do you get alot of disconnections of sync. If you dont know, Plusnet should know from their radius logs.
PlusNet are just trying to ensure its not a problem with your setup. If they call out BT, and they find its your equipment at fault you will be liable for a charge of 144+VAT, regardless of what ISP you are with.
I do hope you get things sorted, and I am sure the chaps on these forums will do all they can to help.
Relica
Grafter

Ticket number: 30485057 (Slow speeds)
I have had no response to the above ticket number now covering a period of 8 days. Regardless of what people say on here about the supposed quality of the plusnet broadband service. Surely this is evidence that customer service is poor? The ticket system which is promoted strongly by Plusnet to avoid having to talk with customers is not working for me!
What am I supposed to do when my ticket is being ignored?