Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What an excellent business plan!!

Sunny
Grafter

Re: What an excellent business plan!!

Quote from: Oldjim
One thing does stand out - with that attenuation and noise margin I would have expected much faster speeds.
This from my system
Noise Margin:     8.1   dB
Connection Rate:  3808  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 51.0  dB
Power:            19.0  dBm
Note that speeds and noise margin are very similar but my attenuation is much higher
The point about this is that it indicates a fairly noisy line and if the noise got much worse the error rate could jump to the point where speeds are seriously affected

Any suggestions as to how I can test noise Oldjim or what other steps I can take?  Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Unless I missed it I don't know which router you have.
If it is one which is supported by DMT or Routerstats there will be a fair bit of information available.
The point about noise is that you can't measure it directly (BT might be able to but we can't) but what you can do is watch the error rates when the browsing speeds drop.
When the error rates get too high effectively you are losing speed.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Sunny
Hi JohnJ, my router stats show this, I have no real idea what they mean

That's really interesting, what router model is it?
Something not shown is the upstream/downstream power level which would be useful if you can find it.
As Oldjim has said, that's slow, even allowing for the 9dB SNRM. The commonest cause for this is internal wiring problems.
How/where is your router connected?
Can you connect it to the BT Test Socket and post the details again please?
hadden
Grafter

As the others have said, those statistics look OK for a connection that has been settled and stable, otherwise your downstream Noise Margin could have been a lot higher (the 9.2dB figure would have been around 15dB) and your profile would have been less than 3000 kbps.
You said that you had started to run Routerstats yesterday. So, it would be a good idea to monitor that downstream Noise margin via that.
If you can wait until Routerstats has been running for at least 24 hours, you should be able to view a graph of the Noise Margin. The norm is for that to gradually decrease during the afternoon and early evening (by up to 3dB) and then recover during the next morning.
If you get something other than that normal pattern then there may be a technical issue nearer home than the BT exchange, otherwise it is much less likely that the fault is in your hardware or wiring.
However, I still have a feeling that your problem may be partly subjective  Smiley (due to bad websites) and compounded by other multiple small factors.
I'm sorry that you appear to be getting contradictory responses in this topic, but people are just keen to help.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

They look very much like the stats from a Netgear DG834 series to me where each cell is on a new line.
RouterStats is designed for these and can be downloaded from http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstats
If you get that running we will be able to walk you through finding the error rates. They are available through the telnet tab.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

This screen would be very helpful - before anyone jumps up and down last night we had torrential rain and my noise margin dropped to about 5dB. This is the point where my error rates leap up. I was surprised it held sync as the total corrected errors jumped from under 600,000 to over 60 million in that 12 hour overnight  period
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Your version of RouterStats is somewhat behind the times Jim! (I know - if it ain't broke, don't fix it).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mal0z
Grafter

Do you have an overhead telephone line then Jim ? ,
don't see how rain can affect lines completely underground - unless water completely fills the ducts ?.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Overhead for a short distance (house to a shared pole) but the real problem is that the underground parts are under the water table when it rains heavily.
Note that with a shared pole (with electricity) BT  won't go anywhere near it unless something really drastic has happened.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: jelv
Your version of RouterStats is somewhat behind the times Jim! (I know - if it ain't broke, don't fix it).
Given the number of times I have been to that site recently - and forgot to check the version -  Embarrassed
mal0z
Grafter

OK Jim,
Just that I think that we sometimes don't ask for mmore details of peoples lines when they have problems. What time of premises - flat, house etc etc - age iof property and therefore telephone line etc etc as this can really effect the quality of line in some cases.
After all one would expect any property development, especially new streets / estates / flats etc  built in the last 10 to 20 years to have all new underground cable and therefore much much less likely to be of good quality. Huh
Sunny
Grafter

Hi Oldjim, is this what you need? I am not sure I have done it properly.
Sunny
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: Sunny
Hi JohnJ, my router stats show this, I have no real idea what they mean

That's really interesting, what router model is it?
Something not shown is the upstream/downstream power level which would be useful if you can find it.
As Oldjim has said, that's slow, even allowing for the 9dB SNRM. The commonest cause for this is internal wiring problems.
How/where is your router connected?
Can you connect it to the BT Test Socket and post the details again please?

Hi, BT master socket is in the loft even though the house is only 5 years old they put it there so it is difficult to get access just for testing but I have done it. The extensions run from that to each room and all filter are fitted. No Sky just a telephone connected. Router is connected downstairs.
I do not understand what SNRM means sorry but thanks fo rtrying to help really appreciate trying to get to the bottom of it. Currently Noise is showing 9.2 on router stats.
Router is Netgear DG834GT I have no idea where to finds the up/down power level sorry.
Sunny
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
They look very much like the stats from a Netgear DG834 series to me where each cell is on a new line.
RouterStats is designed for these and can be downloaded from http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstats
If you get that running we will be able to walk you through finding the error rates. They are available through the telnet tab.

I have R/S installed talking me through what is required would be apprciated to get the details people need to help.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is the sync speed what we want is this
Click on Telnet Router (you may need to enable debug mode first - if so just click on this link which will do it. It will then stay enabled unless the router is switched off or rebooted.
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug
It should take you to this screen - first picture
Then click on each of the sub headers in turn and tick the box in the bottom left
This is the one you want - second picture but the third one can also be useful