cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What an excellent business plan!!

Sunny
Grafter

Re: What an excellent business plan!!

Here is todays BT speed test result at 14:04 and very different from yesterday and the other tests recently. It is up and down but I will keep measuring.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 3712 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2671 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
Sunny
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: Sunny
James as far as I know nothing happens at that time,

Have you knocked on the door of every single person in your town/village who uses broadband on your exchange and asked them if they start using the internet heavily around that time? If you haven't you can't make that statement.

Not very helpful posting really, you have no idea where I live.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

From the first post:
it only happens after 2.30 every day

Nobody else is reporting significant reductions in speed around that time so it is very, very unlikely to be Plusnet network contention.
Sync speed and IP are holding up so we know it's not an noise/intermittent connection problem.
He's not running anything on his that kicks off around that time.
The only thing left is exchange contention and there's no way of knowing what all the other uses who use BT based ISP's on the same exchange are up to.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Sunny
Grafter

Quote from: Galdere
Typical Daily Mail reader wanting to blame anyone but themselves.  Wink
There could be many causes for this, from blocked fans causing overheating after being on for a while, to being infected as part of some bot net, that comes to life at certain time each day.
I'd suggest you maintain your computer, so you can understand the causes of and prevent most problems.

Not very helpful when you have no idea what my machine is like or what I know about maintaining computers.
Sunny
Grafter

Quote from: JohnJ
As far as I know the "1mb" was a rounding down of the 1301kbps figure obtained from a BT speed tester at 15:07 yesterday. Can that single measurement be trusted?
The later readings at the back of 6pm on Speedtest.net and MyBroadbandSpeed, were more in the ballpark of a reasonable connection for their profile. Wouldn't you trust those results more than a single BT speedtester result?

Thanks for all your advice on this subject JohnJ, it has been most helpful. As you can see I have posted todays BT result and what a difference. It is intermittent but I am sure it is BT's fault although they will never admit that.
I am going to try some of the things you suggested, your points are most useful, thanks again.  Smiley
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I think you'll find they do. Your forum account is linked to your broadband account.  Wink
Anyway, the comment relates to the load created by other users on your exchange so is a relevant point.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It doesn't matter where you live - I was just trying to point out that you can have no idea what other people on your exchange are up to. Don't forget that all users of BT based ISP's (i.e. everyone on the exchange except those on LLU if you are lucky enough to have that on your exchange) are going to be sharing the same resources.
[quote=Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, (Sherlock Holmes)]...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/83.html
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jim:post Gentlemen - Can you please calm this down otherwise I am going to remove an awful lot of posts from this thread mod:end
hadden
Grafter

Couldn't the real problem just be the pm SNR increase reaching a point that catches the OPs attention. Plus a couple of inefficient web sites.

@jelv (& oldjim) - please don't get upset but i can't resist...
Quote from: Sir
It is a capital mistake to theorize in advance of the facts.(Sherlock Holmes from the Adventure of the Second Stain)

@sunny - your Routerstats logs should be useful in indicating if your connection is suddenly getting worse during the afternoon or gradually (watch for an increasing Downstream Noise Margin).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Not sure where you are going here JohnJ when you talk about SNR.
The OP's last reported speed test showed
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 3712 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2671 kbps

while post 2:30 speed tests are showing speeds much lower than that. If it was anything to do with SNR surely the IP Profile would be much reduced?
I've not seen anything in this topic to suggest that the problem is internal to his house or between him and the exchange. If you've spotted something perhaps you could point it out please.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Actually I've just reviewed this topic and spotted something that hasn't been covered:
Sunny, do you connect to your router wired or wireless? If wireless have you tried using a different channel? (it occurred to me that someone nearby could be starting up on the same channel).
Sunny
Grafter

Hi JohnJ, my router stats show this, I have no real idea what they mean but you guys might do.
            ADSL Link
            Downstream
            Upstream
            Connection Speed
            3712 kbps
            448 kbps
            Line Attenuation
            44.0 db
            23.5 db
            Noise Margin
            9.2 db
            20.0 db
Sunny
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Actually I've just reviewed this topic and spotted something that hasn't been covered:
Sunny, do you connect to your router wired or wireless? If wireless have you tried using a different channel? (it occurred to me that someone nearby could be starting up on the same channel).

I am not using wireless, I have a wired connection to my router and no other machines are connecting. Today the issue is not manifesting, the gremlins must be asleep!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One thing does stand out - with that attenuation and noise margin I would have expected much faster speeds.
This from my system
Noise Margin:     8.1   dB
Connection Rate:  3808  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 51.0  dB
Power:            19.0  dBm
Note that speeds and noise margin are very similar but my attenuation is much higher
The point about this is that it indicates a fairly noisy line and if the noise got much worse the error rate could jump to the point where speeds are seriously affected
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Another possibility crossed off the list - it's getting shorter.
Your stats look consistent with the IP profile. If you keep an eye on them and report is you see either the downstream connection speed or the downstream noise margin change significantly.