cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well here we go, 2nd chance for Plusnet - Hope I aren't let down this time

simon7685
Grafter

Well here we go, 2nd chance for Plusnet - Hope I aren't let down this time

As the title suggests, having left once I have decided to give Plusnet another chance.  By and large the first time was great for long enough but when they got it wrong, they sure did get it wrong.  Also now that the market classifications have been reviewed since I left, which was a cause I tried to champion with Plusnet to no avail, it means Plusnet can give me Fibre on a better package than my current supplier Sky.  Also leaving Sky for Freesat was a good time to look at everything else as well.
So the engineer is booked for tomorrow PM to install our new fibre broadband, the plusnet router is here, the phone is going over tomorrow.  Hopefully by Teatime I will be up and running on unlimited firbre.  Unless of course someone somewhere has cocked any of it up - I hope not.  Plusnet have told me it should be a seamless switch over and we will only lose internet access for up to 1 hour.
So here's hoping I can come back tomorrow full of praise for the way it has all been done, I hope so, we have had enough go wrong this week already!!
9 REPLIES 9
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Well here we go, 2nd chance for Plusnet - Hope I aren't let down this time

Hi simon7685,
Welcome back to Plusnet.
I've checked over your account and can see that this is all set for this afternoon. Please let me know how it goes.
simon7685
Grafter

Pleased to report that everything went almost smoothly.  It could have been perfect if only my previous supplier had got things right.  Sky for whatever reason disconnected both my phone and broadband services at around 0615 this morning, which was extremely annoying to say the least.
My phone service was reactivated by around lunchtime and the openreach engineer arrived early around 12.15.  All went well and he installed anew extention, to get the main socket next to the TV and it was all done in around 45 mins to an hour.
So far everything seems good, although was a bit of noise on the line earlier, which I will keep an eye on, also the fibre has dropped a couple of times when the phone is connected.  I will see how it goes over the weekend and whether it settles down, if not I will ring up on Monday and I am sure it can be sorted in needs be.
So to sum up, really pleased so far, great service and no complaints.  Keep up the good work!
simon7685
Grafter

Fibre Installation and Microfilters - Openreach error

When my fibre was installed by Openreach yesterday, he informed us that we no longer needed microfilters anymore and took them out.  Firstly it might help if I detail the problems that followed by describing our unusual set up.
We are in a 2 bedroomed flat, the master phone socket is located in the main bedroom for some strange reason.  So we then have a BT installed extension to take it into the front room where we can connect the TV etc. 
So when he arrived he asked where we wanted the router locating, we said in the front room so the TV etc can be plugged in.  So he ran a new extension along the same path as the existing one, as the old one was nibbled here and there from when we had gerbils, it still functioned ok but we decided a new one might be better.  He wired this directly into the master socket and in the front room he put a new box on the wall with the new faceplate that included the built in microfilter.
After he had finished he said he would test the phone line and went into the bedroom where the phone was plugged in, he said it was fine and then proceeded to remove the microfilter, saying it was no longer needed.  We went back into the front room, where I noticed that the fibre modem had disconnected.  He said it was fine and it would settle down in a few hours and off he went.
I then picked up the phone to make a call and noticed the line was very noisy which surprised me because he had said it was fine.  Also I spotted that the fibre modem had disconnected again.  All last night and today whenever the phone was used, the line was really noisy and the broadband dropped.  I decided at this point that I was going to ring Plusnet as it needed to be sorted.
Then the penny dropped.......................
I suddenly thought hang on the telephone is plugged into the master socket, without a microfilter!  The one with the built in filter was in the front room.  So I decided to plug the microfilter back in in the bedroom and see where we went.  BINGO no noise and no disconnection.
So the Openreach engineer obviously had an off day and gave us duff information, I guess it was logic when I thought about it but surely the Openreach engineer should have thought of this???
Anyway problem resolved and if anyone else has the same problem and reads this, hopefully it might help them out.
All4One
Grafter

Fibre has dropped when the phone is connected. You definitely have all phones filtered correctly? Tried swapping filters etc? Perhaps the master socket is prefiltered as a result of taking fibre which doesn't require a microfilter but any extension sockets do require filters if  you're using phone on them.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Fibre Installation and Microfilters - Openreach error

What type of socket did he leave in the Bedroom? Sounds to me he wired it up wrong. He should have wired the bedroom socket back from front room removable lower front plate, not left it connected direct to the line.
Run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image). How does the Downstream BT IP Profile compare to you estimate?
Anotherone
Champion

I'm afraid that's not correct All4one, if the extensions have been wired correctly and a proper vDSL Interstitial Filter Plate was fitted.
A proper Data extension socket for the modem would have an RJ11 socket and there would be an unused RJ11 socket on the Master with the Interstitial Filter Plate. Any extension phone sockets would be wired from the removable lower front plate of the master.
Was it an real Openreach engineer or was it a sub-contractor that did the work simon7685?
Edit: To correct context having seen other post, which needs merging.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

My BTOR engineer told me to remove all the filters from my phone extensions once the new master socket was installed. They were removed & both phones & my fibre BB have worked perfectly ever since. Smiley
All4One
Grafter

In some cases, I have seen it where filters have been required, but I guess that's due to the master socket not being wired up correctly Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

From a lot of the cases mentioned on these forums where the detail has been available, it's often been where the installation was done by a sub-contractor and not a genuine Openreach engineer. Whichever, it's shoddy workmanship and not compliant with their own rules.