cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well. It's been a hell of a ride, but....... Bye bye.

Ado16
Grafter

Well. It's been a hell of a ride, but....... Bye bye.

I'm not daft. I appreciate that  'Line Rental/ exists and there is little getting around it whilst BT still have a Monopoly on Line control, but other companies are breaching the sacred £18.95 charge - and yes, probably losing money as a result.  So. whilst I understand that Broadband companies hands are tied - supposedly - one would still expect a bit of grovelling when politely asking to renegotiate your contract. The final reason why, with Contract end impending that after seven years with Plusnet - yup SEVEN years, we are leaving because Call Centre Staff attitude go like "Pfffffft Bye then! Take it or leave it Sunshine". Not even prepared to knock £3 off to match your own "New Customer" Deal.  Something which I have actually been offered on previous occasions when negotiating a new contract!

So guess what, we are leaving!  We are forced to go back to our previous supplier, who are offering a deal at £17 a month for 12 months.  We feel forced to do this, to hit Plusnet where it hurts, in their profits, because there is no longer any reward for being a loyal customer.  And maybe in a years time, we will come back to get their best deal as a new customer!  Is this the BT influence?

27 REPLIES 27
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Well. It's been a hell of a ride, but....... Bye bye.

Sorry to see you've decided to go after so long with us.

All the best with your new provider and hope we'll see you back at some point in the future.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's Note(s)

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to Plusnet Feedback.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Ado16
Grafter

Hi. Thanks for that.  Maybe we shouldn't have phoned last thing on a Friday when everyone is tired out! Wink
It is a shame though that you are forced to "Play the field" these days. Back in the Dial up Internet days I remember BT knocking a couple of quid off the bill every year as a goodwill gesture! Although then if you moved house they'd tell you you had to start again from the top! Shocked

Ach well.  All the best.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"Call Centre Staff attitude go like "Pfffffft Bye then! Take it or leave it Sunshine"."

I sympathise Ado, that's exactly the response I received when phoning to advise I was leaving because of a price increase. Six years as a PN customer and Madasafish before they were bought out by PN/BT.

No attempt whatsoever to retain a customer. It was only a very small price rise too. All they had to do was keep me at the same monthly payment and I would have probably stayed.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Hardly surprising that a company might not actually want you as a customer if they're not going to make any profit from you.

Ado16
Grafter

With links to BT and their Monopoly behind them, I doubt they will suffer that much.

One day, someone will come along, like Freddie Laker did with flights and blow this cosy little cartel into history.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ado16 wrote:
One day, someone will come along, like Freddie Laker did with flights and blow this cosy little cartel into history.

But that didn't last as the big boys got together and put him out of business.

Ado16
Grafter

Haha! 🙂 &c Those pesky Caledonians! Yup! But it is recognised that he shook the Market up. Possibly even leading to the Budget airlines around today.
notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@ejs wrote

Hardly surprising that a company might not actually want you as a customer if they're not going to make any profit from you.

This exactly. If you've been a loyal customer for 7 years, but Plusnet have only made £50 off of you, you're clearly not as profitable to them.

I don't know what the OP does as a career, but I doubt they'd be doing a job if the end payout meant just breaking even.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

The reality is that this market and most markets are on a race to the bottom line. Whilst consumers look for the cheapest price with no discernment for the content of the service, in an attempt to expand market share organisations will cut prices to the bone for new customers. There is no profit in year 1 deals.

Yes it stinks, everyone does it. Someone in the industry needs to be brave - load year one with the realistic cost of acquiring the business and then offer the service for less (whilst still delivering a margin) in the following years.

What I fear is that the industry continues its cut throat pricing, enticing people to switch every year, resulting in the industry cutting its own throat.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ado16
Grafter

I agree! The mobile phone and Contract Market is all over the place in a similar manner too. Back in '93. I bought a phone outright and just paid for my monthly minutes contract. Now "Free phone!" offers abound (and of course, it isn't!).
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

@ejs wrote

Hardly surprising that a company might not actually want you as a customer if they're not going to make any profit from you

Strange that they haven't made a profit from me in about 8 years. Do you really think they don't make any profit by offering a slight discount to a long term customer? If so, you are deluded.

It doesn't take long for the fanboys to leap out of the woodwork to defend their sacred, do no wrong Plusnet.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

@newagetraveller wrote:

It doesn't take long for the fanboys to leap out of the woodwork to defend their sacred, do no wrong Plusnet.

More likely they have a more realistic understanding of the current state of play in the business ('they' didn't actually say they liked it!)

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

I have been here even longer than seven years and with LRS I pay barely more than a new customer. I have said it before and I will say it again, you can't have the internet without a line to connect it to so it should always be an all in price. I don't use the phone that much but my O2 PAYG is 3p a minute which is much cheaper than land line charges.

The real lesson that everyone needs to be aware of is that all businesses are in business for their benefit not yours.....