cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanted - One Service for Two Locations

bobmac

Wanted - One Service for Two Locations

I spend time between two UK geographical locations (a few consecutive months at one and and few at the other), for both of which I require a land-line and broadband service. Currently, PLUSNET can only provide this service by providing two separate services at full twelve months provision for each site. Obviously,  I would much prefer to have to pay for only one service, which could be "switched on and off" as required, but although this is technically feasible, it is not an option available from PLUSNET. Given the recently communicated increase in line rental charges, I am now faced with an additional approximate £24 hike in line rental charges, which makes the whole arrangement a very expensive option and a clear incentive to switch to a single mobile service. I know from conversations with others that I am not the only person in this situation. Perhaps PLUSNET could continue its Award Winning service by introducing a service that can be activated only when required and dispenses with the need for a single customer to have two separate services.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Wanted - One Service for Two Locations

The obvious question is who pays BT Openreach for the lines and for the connection/disconnection charges every few months
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: bobmac
  I would much prefer to have to pay for only one service, which could be "switched on and off" as required, but although this is technically feasible, it is not an option available from PLUSNET.

This isn't available from any provider!
I'm out for most of the day so I would prefer to only pay for use at evenings & weekends but I live in the real world Smiley
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I know a service you only have to pay for on demand Its called Witherspoons or perhaps Costa Coffee  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
x47c
Grafter

I can just see the OP going to their local council and demanding that they only pay council tax for when they are "using" the property
That will go down well - not.
PS Welcome to ther forum.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

There are ways of archiving the service the OP desires but not within a domestic budget.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Don't forget the Plusnet option of monthly contract on some products.
There's an activation fee (£50 broadband only, £25 with phone line) and cessation fee (£25, increasing to £30 in October) - if these are factored over, say, six months then it's less than £10 per month (unless taking broadband only) which should be a saving compared with continuing to pay line rental etc. on a second line.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If the OP needs a higher allowance than 10GB on the active connection some money could be saved if both lines are provisioned on the plusdsl.net domain by having one account on Unlimited and the other on Essentials. As long as the inactive connection has the router turned off, the Unlimited account should work on both lines.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Also a small amount could be gained/saved each month through PNs referral system if one account referred the other.  If different account types are used per Jelvs suggestion above, check the referrals page to see which type pays the most, and refer the higher paying account from the lower.