cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting THREE MONTHS for broadband. Now no internet at all for weeks. Pathetic.

DelphGeek
Grafter

Waiting THREE MONTHS for broadband. Now no internet at all for weeks. Pathetic.

Hello again. I posted earlier about the problems of living in a rural area and expecting (hoping) that Plusnets new "super fast fibre" broadband would help. As an existing purchaser of Plusnets 'phone/ broadband service i sort of expected that this would be a simple upgrade.
So I ordered Fibre on 26th July and up to now I have...No fibre broadband...My existing broadband is almost unusable at 330k (remember dial up?)  Direct debits going out for two months at the increased fibre rate...A direct debit mandate that SHOULD have been changed but hasn't and a whole host of reasons why I should be getting 6.3Mb but currently have almost nothing.  Plusnet staff have been reasonably helpful but I have also been met with direct lies and fob offs by some. I do keep records.
I have not complained ever but have remained patient and pleasant at all times. So how long do I have to wait? Is 8 weeks and a day not long enough? Is this a record?
Having had missed appointments by Openreach, an ongoing rebook, rebook, rebook saga with Plusnet (any time, any day should be dead easy) and untold communications to and from them, a "senior" Openreach engineer finally turned up as promised on 14th September. (This all started on 26th July) He both understood what he was talking about and listened to our concerns. He managed our expectations as Plusnet should have done in the first place. However, having been assured that the line problems would be investigated early the NEXT week, we waited patiently. It's now Friday 21st September and we have now received another text from Plusnet claiming that further work is required and will update me again on Monday. Thanks guys. My main concern is that I simply don't know when or if we will have broadband/fibre, even at the old speed.
How long do i wait before saying enough is enough. Cancel everything, refund and compensate and move elsewhere. How difficult is it for someone in authority to break the rules and actually talk to me on the 'phone? Just reassure me, inform me and give me warm strokes (at least for me undying patience and good humour). Hey Openreach and Plusnet staff. Would you be happy for eight weeks without internet access but still paying for it?
Mass legal action anyone? Are your owners also your suppliers?
Best of luck to you all.
DelphGeek and Family.

64 REPLIES 64
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Ok, I give up. Waiting TWO MONTHS for broadband, any type of broadband will do.

Hi Delphgeek,
Thank you for taking your time to post and apologies for the long wait and issues you are having with your fibre install/service.
I have looked through your account and can see that there was some install issues that were overcome, albeit not with the quickest outcome. I have followed up on your fault and can see that this is currently in progression and it appears we are awaiting an update from our suppliers. I will monitor this and push for a speedy resolution as there can be times when we need to put pressure on our supplier and I certainly think this is one of them.
Regarding the billing date being changed, it is not something that our current billing systems allows. I am going to look into this for you and see what was said and when, I'll update you once I have investigated.
I will get this resolved as promptly as possible and keep you informed as much as I can. Not nice to hear that you feel you have "been met with direct lies and fob offs by some" this again is something I will look into and feedback on if necessary.
Finally I will be happy to look at a good will gesture for the service that you haven't received but I would like to get your fault resolved first with a matter of urgency.
Chris
DelphGeek
Grafter

Re: Ok, I give up. Waiting TWO MONTHS for broadband, any type of broadband will do.

Hello Chris and thanks for the reply. I hate to say that I've heard it before but let's hope something positive actually happens this time. I do appreciate that B.T/Openreach are at substantial fault here, but I don't care how much of the road they have to dig up,
I'd sure like to know when though. We were told to expect activity in the area, but sheep may safely graze.
Whatever button you pressed at Plusnet after I posted here, please push it again!!! Our "Broadband" went up to a whopping 1mb for a while. It quickly dropped back to the current .300k though.
I'm getting Distrowatch withdrawal symptoms, and my Wife can't watch Masterchef. (every cloud has a silver lining [ ; - )
"and can see that there was some install issues that were overcome". there were no issues that were overcome The situation got worse never better. Chris, we have not had a hint of fibre speed or indeed decent broadband speed for nearly two months.
Are you telling me that to change the DD mandate to a date nearer our payday is not possible?  We changed jobs, we get paid differently and on a different date. I managed to change every  DD and SO with other companies. Cancel it and start a new one?
What is most annoying about the above is that despite calling and eventually being informed by Plusnet accounts that the DD date had now been changed, you have again taken the increased fibre! money at the old date. I sure hope you don't take it out again at the new date.
I reiterate again that in the main, Plusnet have tried to help, but seem to run into communication problems with their owner/suppliers. Do any Openreach Managers know what a telegraph pole looks like? Would they dare climb one?
Finally, yes unfortunately, lies and fob offs. Happily only from two individuals. Not good from a company that advertises with the tag line, "we'll do you proud". Is it the "proud" that need removing?
Do your best Chris and good luck.
DelphGeek and Family.

WWWombat
Grafter

You've got another 2 weeks before you get up to the length of time ours took for installation - in that case the hold up was even worse... There was nothing wrong with the line or cabinet - all the delays were in the internal Openreach ordering system  Lips_are_sealed
The fact that the BT group own Plusnet as well as Openreach & Wholesale is a red herring. By law, the two sides cannot communicate in ways unavailable to other ISPs. They cannot be a favourite, or given any special behaviour. Pretty much the *only* thing that is allowed to happen is that consumers can add an extra moan because they're part of BT  Wink
I found that following up on here was the best way to make sure some consistent focus happened...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the reply DelphGeek.
I can fully understand your lack of optimism in regards to this, I can't promise that I will get this fixed today or tomorrow but I will pursue this and get the work progressed as a priority. I won't be able to speak with our suppliers until tomorrow and see where we currently are and what steps I need to take. I will also look to see why your speeds picked up(slightly) and then dropped back down again, I did ask our faults team to further investigate your line, I'll will get an update tomorrow too.
With the 'install issues' I am going on from information currently on your ticket what our suppliers have told us, I will pull everything together and see exactly what has happened.
With the direct debit date change, it is not something our billing system allows us to do at the present time, it would normally be a case of closing he account and re-opening an account if you needed/wanted an billing date change, however that is a fairly drastic measure and what I was getting at in my previous post was that I would look into this and see what I need to do to get this changed for you. I can see there is a ticket on your account that actually discussed this. I will again get this resolved.
We will always try to help the best we can, but at the end of the day you just want the work completing, whether it be us or our suppliers that have delayed you from having your Fibre and I'm sure you'r not too bothered who is to blame. You just want the work completing.
There will be no charge for the fibre as I will get this amended as we don't expect you to pay for a service that you haven't had. I will chase everything up tomorrow and update you ASAP! (As i know your missing Masterchef Smiley
Chris

DelphGeek
Grafter

Hello again and thanks for the replies Chris and Wombat.
At the risk of repeating myself...
Firstly, we had a new fibre modem installed (that's when the problems started). The fibre modem looks at the line quality/speed and cuts off if it's not consistent. They are far more sensitive to line speed fluctuations.  The old broadband modem simply let it through, hence a drop in speed compared to our previous broadband. Typically 1.4Mb. It's now around 300k and has never been better than 1Mb since 3rd September fibre modem install. But ordered on 26 July!
Yes Chris, you are correct, We do simply want it fixed or at least our old broadband speed pre fibre.  The most frustrating thing about this is that we seem to be thrown back into the same pool for someone else to fish out and "progress" yet, whilst waiting patiently, we still can't use the Internet with any speed. Even Google takes seconds to resolve.  eMail this morning says that this has now been returned to the BOT - FTTC Logged faults, speed pool  Surely this is not just about speed but a total lack of fibre broadband.
It's my Wife that is getting Masterchef withdrawal symptoms. We took a decision six years ago not to have a television in our house. The Internet is therefore very useful to us and the Children that we look after.
The date change for the DD is not that important Chris, please don't spend too much time on it. However, I was about to increase my download limit via fibre "Extra" as the original 40Gb is insufficient with fibre.
I'm a little worried about increasing it until we actually get broadband or fibre working. More cost, no service etc.
Please let me know in any way possible how your owner/suppliers are doing, lack of positive communication is frustrating. It's the not knowing....for two months...
Thanks in advance and good luck.
DelphGeek and family.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I'm sorry to read about the issues you're having too, I'm convinced Chris is doing a good job of taking care of this for you, I've spoken with him and he'll reply back before the end of today for you.
I hope to see this get resolved soon.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've updated your ticket today. I am still awaiting further updates.
DelphGeek
Grafter

Hello readers. The reason I joined this forum was an attempt to get someone at Plusnet or Openreach to do something. 'Phone calls have little effect.
For Chris and others who work at Plusnet, here is what I understand has happened. This may help Plusnet to understand the frustration we all now feel.  I'm sure that Plusnet feel frustrated too.
26 July 12: As an existing plusnet customer, I ordered Fibre broadband.
15 August 12: Openreach came to the house to install fibre modem internally. Engineer agreed that speed had DROPPED from original 1.4Mb to less than 1Mb (around 900k) Suggested cable at rear of house might need changing as others had been.
03 September 12: Waited in as required for Plusnet engineer. No show at our house.
14 September 12: Openreach engineer turned up. Very helpful in explaining the problem. We understand more now. He suggested that we would see increased Openreach activity in the area soon.
25 September (today): No sign of Openreach for the last 11 days. Broadband? is now consistently down to 33k. (4 minutes to be able to reply in these forums!) We are still paying for fibre. We can't cancel because B.T own and supply Plusnet and we'd have to start all over again.  Frustrating? A little.
And all of the above has taken place whilst trying to explain to Plusnet on the 'phone and constantly being met with "how can i help you today". or receiving texts and emails claiming that this is being investigated or escalated or has gone back into the pool.
Here's a question that someone in Tech support might help with. I'd be even more patient! if we could get some form of broadband at all. I joke about Masterchef for my Wife and Distrowatch for me, but it's extremely annoying not to be able to read email and browse the internet. We have Children here that would like to be able to do research for school projects. Etc, Etc...
If I replace the new Fibre modem with the original Broadband modem, will it prevent diagnostic tests by Openreach (If/when they might do them) or line speed tests to further determine the location of the problem? Because the Fibre modem would not be responding/replying.
Broadband that works might be a quicker option than Fibre that doesn't.
Talk to me please. Explain what's happening and give me a timescale at least. Or don't Openreach work to timescales anymore.
Please don't leave me paying for something you can't deliver in fair time. That's just unfair. Any advice would be welcome from other forum members.
I'm not aiming to break records but 61 days from order to now seems silly. Especially as most of them have been without Broadband of any kind.
Best wishes and a Merry Christmas to you all. Better get that in now in case my speed drops even more.
DelphGeek and Family. Ian W

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi DelphGeek,
A update for you, I have spoken with our suppliers who have confirmed that the dig work required will be carried out tomorrow. Once this has been completed I will be informed and I will check up on this.
I have updated your ticket regarding the payments you have made for your service and with some content from my conversation with our suppliers.  It now appears to be moving in the right direction and I will continue to stay on top of it so this gets resolved ASAP!

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I am still waiting for an update today from our suppliers.
Has any work taken place? I again have escalated this further and continue to monitor and press on this matter throughout the day.
I will update you again once I have received my update.
DelphGeek
Grafter

Hello all, Chris.
26 September 12 (Today) at 19.18.
Nice try, no change. I'm sure you are as frustrated as we are. Just completed a speed test to confirm my own visual speed test. Down speed is now at 0.133mb. Thats NOUGHT point 133
We have seen no evidence of Openreach as expected.  I take Children to and from school, i travel the route often.
Thanks for everything else you have done Chris.
Good luck and let's see what Plusnets complaints procedure comes up with. Already commenced.
Best wishes in despair.
DelphGeek and Family.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi DelphGeek,
Apologies once again that nothing has appeared to have happened. I have contacted our suppliers again after they provided me with no update. I have also escalated this up-to the next level.
This was their reply this morning:
"I have checked the escalation details and you should have got the updates by yesterday EOD which you did not so I would pass the case to my supervisor who would  make sure that the portal escalation team picks up the case within next 1 hour and provide you with the updates."
I will again be back in-touch today once I have spoken with them.
Chris
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Interesting language used in that reply; not a native English speaker methinks.  Roll_eyes
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

A further update from our suppliers.
"An Appointment is already booked on this but due to an error on the system the fault reference has not passed. This has been escalated so that this is resolved quickly.
We apologise for the inconvenience.
We will update you on the this at 15:30hrs today.
Please check the your systems for the updates and queries"
Just trying to keep you as updated as I can even if sometimes there is no news.
Again I will press on with this and I am now hoping for a quick resolution.
Regards,
Chris