cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING: Plusnet/BT do not allow you to turn off the power to your router

gstanbridge

WARNING: Plusnet/BT do not allow you to turn off the power to your router

It would be useful if Plusnet could add to their web home page a clear warning that if you turn off the power to your router, when you turn it back on the broadband speed will be gradually reduced by Plusnet/BT to as little as 0.2 MB download speed. So you may wish to consider this when you position your router in your house.
If you do turn off your router you will experience increasingly slow speeds over a period of weeks, until you have to log a fault with Plusnet (which can take up to 1 hour on the phone) to find out that the slow speeds have been deliberately imposed by Plusnet/BT. Of course by then you may have decided to switch supplier because your connection is so slow.
Also be aware that Plusnet cannot accept any suggestions or feedback - it took the call centre 10 mins to guide me to this online forum, and they said Plusnet may or may not read any suggestions made, and stated that the call centre cannot register any feedback or suggestions nor is their a feedback or suggestions button on the web homepage.
The call centre at Plusnet are very helpful and knowledgeable, although even they had to walk me through half  a dozen or so links from the Plusnet home page to drill down to a page that provided a warning about this power on/off problem.
28 REPLIES 28
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: WARNING: Plusnet/BT do not allow you to turn off the power to your router

It would be useful if Plusnet could add to their web home page a clear warning that if you turn off the power to your router

Feedback definitely taken on board. However you are quite able to turn the router off for extended periods without a negative impact on your connection. Its doing so frequently that can affect the connection speed in an adverse way.
Also be aware that Plusnet cannot accept any suggestions or feedback

See above, I'm sorry if the call centre didn't seem receptive to your suggestions, however this is a good place to feedback to us and we do always accept feedback.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Welcome to the Forum
<snip>
one disconnect will do nothing,
if you turn it back on during the busy hours you might resynch at a lower figure,  this is not in any way accumulative
Wha you should not do is turn or several times in a short period
jim:blue unkind remark to new poster remove mod:end
klyne
Grafter

Also somewhat impractical if you have to turn the power off to do other electrical work Undecided
David
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

So, position your router where you do not have to turn it off to accommodate your other electrical work.
Is your line very long?
Chandu.
adie:quote
ckcomputing
Rising Star

As pierre_pierre has said above, one disconnection will not impact adversely on your service; However,  if you turn your router off frequently, no matter which ISP you are with, you will more than likely re-sync at a lower rate - this is not just peculiar to Plusnet.
Depending on the time of the day that you do this, then it can have a negative effect on your connection.
Best to leave your router connected 24/7.
Brian
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A New Years Resolution - be kind to new posters  Cool
I have modified one post and removed a second
Please consider that we were all new once - I can't remember that far back but I am sure it must have been the case  Grin
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Strange then, that when there are "outages" that PN "recommend you unplug your router for at least 30 minutes and then re-connect...."
also ,in the speed issues on feedback. if a line has dropped it`s speed, it is also recommended to power down the router, for a few minutes then re- connect.
(this usually results in a connection through another gateway, and and INCREASE in the line speed.)
I have used this many times to "correct" my slow download speeds, when my  line only supported a max of 1.2 meg....
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If your connection keeps "dropping", then equipment in the exchange will treat it as unstable and re-sync at a lower speed in an attempt to make it stable. You don't have to "unplug your router" very often to have the same effect. It happens automatically and, with all due respect to the OP, has nothing to do with anybody not allowing you to do anything.
Quote from: Mr
Depending on the time of the day that you do this, then it can have a negative effect on your connection.

Brian, I think this confuses two different things. Connecting at certain times of the day may adversely affect your sync speed because of greater interference on your line at those times. This is not the same as the line appearing unstable at your current sync speed because of disconnections.
Hope I'm right about this....
Chris
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Please consider that we were all new once - I can't remember that far back but I am sure it must have been the case  Grin

I have never really understood why some posters (unfortunately often new ones)have to be rather aggressive on forums
This is on all forums on the internet not just plusnet.
If they came on saying something to the effect
"look, I don't really understand this, this is what I think might be happening, can you look and can you help and indeed correct me where I'm wrong"
then a lot (more) people would be prepared to help.
Instead we sometime get variations along the line of  "This is what Plusnet/BT/Barclays/MBNA/police have done, its nothing to to with me, its all their fault and am I in line for compensation."  The fact that they might just possibly have got it wrong seems never to occur to them.
Meanwhile I read it and think well I'm not going to give up my free time to explain since they seem to have a negative attitude and an unwillingness to learn or be corrected.  I often do seriously wonder how they manage in their job/employment
Possibly I have a different mind set - when I come across a problem - I tend to try and find the answer myself, hopefully learning something in the meantime - and only when I've given up do I take up people's time on forums.
PS:  'ChrisL' post above is indeed correct.
Happy new year to all...................
pierre_pierre
Grafter

never mind jim, he hasnt seen what we said
Name: gstanbridge
Position: Member
Date Registered: 03/01/2012, 13:01
Last Active: 03/01/2012, 13:24
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@x47c
You might of added that when a more constructive approach is suggested they often turn around and get nasty with fellow users who are trying to offer good advice.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

and a large proportion don't recognise the difference between a fellow customer and a member of PN staff
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
ckcomputing
Rising Star

Brian, I think this confuses two different things. Connecting at certain times of the day may adversely affect your sync speed because of greater interference on your line at those times. This is not the same as the line appearing unstable at your current sync speed because of disconnections.

Yes, you are right, Chris. Will have to think more before putting mouth in gear!
Agree 100% with the previous posters on the belligerent attitude of "some" new contirbuters to the forums (fora.)
And a very Happy New Year to one and all.
Brian
adie:green fixed quote
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm sure the OP better understands how disconnecting can affect an ADSL connection now if they've read these responses, let's make sure we're doing what we can to educate and welcome new comers to the forum.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team