cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume of complaints re: slow speed

drewid
Dabbler

Volume of complaints re: slow speed

Looking at complaints in the forums and twitter it's obvious that Plusnet has a major problem with slow speeds. I think that this is likely due to Plusnet either being over-subscribed or insidious throttling and they make us jump through hoops to make it seem that they are doing something about it.
30 REPLIES 30
rneilg
Grafter

Re: Volume of complaints re: slow speed

I totally agree with you. Loads of complaints from previously happy people and you still get asked what router are you going through etc. The question should be...are some routers crap? if so do something about it!!!!!!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have had a Thompsom Router since January and am very happy with my Synch 8128, Profile 7150 and download 6650
Get with it lads
mal0z
Grafter

Tell us something about you situation - how far from exchange, has it always been like this, have you tried the router plugged into the inside of the master socket
what router stats do you get, and router if you like.
PN's standard router - as Pierre alludes to is the Thomson TG585v7 - and I too have been using one for 7 months with same stats as Pierre.
Mark
Grafter

To be clear, we're not oversubscribed and I'm not aware of any increase in speed issues, short of the issues raised by some rather uneducated reporting in the media recently, but thats another story.
We carefully monitor our customer growth coupled with usage patterns and ensure we're ahead of the curve when it comes to capacity requirements. The number of centrals and segments we've lit in the recent past will bear that out and indeed we're not far off lighting more.
As other's in this thread have said, if you have a specific problem post up the details and we'll have a better understanding of the nature of the problem. There are a wealth of factors which can and will influence the speed customers receive and our capacity is not going to be one of them.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Mark
and I'm not aware of any increase in speed issues

So what's your explanation of the dire Usenet speeds being reported in these forums?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drewid
Dabbler

This says it all. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-10/1221023/capture14.jpg
I was with Entanet before and getting on average 6.4Mbps
Plusnet average 5.4Mbps [insert emoticon to express extreme fury]
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes it does say it all you are using an unreliable speed tester  try http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ instead
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: drewid

Can I ask what affect only having an average of 5.4Mbps instead of 6.4Mbps have on your enjoyment of using the internet?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Mark
To be clear, we're not oversubscribed and I'm not aware of any increase in speed issues, short of the issues raised by some rather uneducated reporting in the media recently, but thats another story.
We carefully monitor our customer growth coupled with usage patterns and ensure we're ahead of the curve when it comes to capacity requirements. The number of centrals and segments we've lit in the recent past will bear that out and indeed we're not far off lighting more.

To be frank though you're not going to come on here and publicly state that you are aware of speed issues or being over subscribed are you?!
Lets also face it the media only get wind of a story through things that have happened - Rumours. Rumours only come around when stuff causes them. What could of caused these rumours then?
Yes we're all aware that you measure your customer growth and usage patterns - thats what causes you to start tinkering with the prioritisation AGAIN and upset customers even more.
You guys can not understand upset customers full stop. Thats bad.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
James
Grafter

The media rumours that are being referred to are a demonstration of shocking journalism based on technical untruths from the BBC.
I personally don't believe that we're seeing more genuine speed complaints (barring recent Usenet issues) and I deal with them on a daily basis.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

So all the posts I've read about stuttering utube videos are a figment of my imagination? Some of them are down to problems on the users PCs, but by no means all.
These constant attempts to pretend that there are no problems when anyone watching the forums with two brain cells to rub together can see there are is getting me pretty pissed off!
drewid
Dabbler

Quote from: pierre_pierre
yes it does say it all you are using an unreliable speed tester  try http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ instead

Oh! you mean the one OWNED by Plusnet, Yeah right.
And how do you know if the speed tester I'm using is unreliable or not?Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: drewid
This says it all. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-10/1221023/capture14.jpg

Quote from: pierre_pierre

Pierre: I would rate the TBB speedtester as being reliable - it is not unknown for Plusnet to ask users what speeds it reports so I'm pretty sure they are happy with the results it produces.
drewid
Dabbler

If you where to ponder on your reply a bit longer, you might just realise the huge hole in you argument.
jim:quote