cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View my Usage?? I don't think so.

Highbury

View my Usage?? I don't think so.

For the last couple of months the "View My Usage" function has not worked. 
I wonder if this is a common problem and if other people are satisfied with the support staff's somewhat lame response of 'we're working on it but have no idea when it'll be fixed'.
Do any techie users understand why something which seemed to work very well shouldnow be so very difficult to fix ....... it seems more like the function has simply been turned off.
17 REPLIES 17
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: View my Usage?? I don't think so.

Hi Highbury,
I've just had a quick word with one of my colleagues, we're just looking we'll have a look into this today for you. I'll let you know once we have a further update for you.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi,
It is generally working fine - I have just checked mine here - you'll need to login.
What might be the case is that there is something specific to your account causing it not to work for you, which will require a fix peculiar to you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

So that we can investigate this one further, can you please connect to the Internet as we're seeing a loss of connection at the moment.
Highbury

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply.  I logged off shortly after posting yesterday (and weill do again this morning).  The support guys have never suggested running any kind of test while I'm connected but I'm happy to do this if we can arrange a time ......mornings is usually best, say around 9.00am.
One advance was that the lads at support actually managed to give me a reading for the month which was helpful as I don't like going over the limit.
Highbury

Townman,
thanks for your reply ..... the problem has been going for so long that I assumed that the function had been turned off for everybody.  Maybe I was wrong about that ( moi? wrong?Huh) but the support boys haven't suggested anything other than 'we're working on it'.
Still, thanks again.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for connecting, I'll get this looked over and I'll let you know what the outcome is.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If your concern is that you are clocking up too much usage I would suggest leaving the router connected and all the PCs etc. either off or disconnected from the router. Plusnet can see the hourly totals so it would be interesting to see if there is significant usage while your PCs are off.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can you ensure that you leave your router switched on (this won't use a great deal of usage) so that we can investigate further on this please?
Highbury

Hi Chris,
Thanks for replying.  I'll leave the router on for Friday/Saturday ...... I usually disconnect when I'm not browsing for security but if it helps I can leave it on for a bit.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's great - thanks for doing that for us.
I've passed your details on so we can have that looked into for you.
adrianmarsh

Highbury,
Just an aside, but if this is a DSL line, its usually better to leave the router on.  When on, PlusNet/BT will monitor quality of the copper connection and auto-rate-adapt the circuit if they think there's a problem.  Sometimes turning the router on/off repeatedly can make it think there's an issue and it results in the system dropping the estimation of quality, and then reducing the maximum up/downlinks.
For security, run a shieldsup test from www.grc.com, and keep the firmware of the router up-to-date, disable remote access if its on, and UPNP as well.
Just my 2c...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you leave the router on 24x7 and just turn off all the PCs it's just as secure as it is when you turn off the router (providing you have the wireless properly secured or disabled).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highbury

Jelv, adfrain marsh.
Thanks for the tips.  If it turns out that disconnecting has suddenly started confusing things I'll have to think again.  But I've been with Farce9 for about 15 years now and everything's worked quite happily for all that time.  Besides which I am an old dog and it is a new trick!!
So, let's see if the tech boys have any suggestions.
Highbury

Hi Chris Pettitt,
I left my router connected ..... apparently for no point whatsoever. .... The support boys and girls have never asked about this.  Stranger still, my last visit to 'support' confirms (??) this problem is widespread.  More alarmingly I was told that I have just been added to the general 'development fix'
Since support has been aware of this problem for over 2 months, I have to think the whole support reponse is smoke and mirrors.  Either they have no clue at all or the "View My Usage" function is being withdrawn ..... say, for those on the 10GB packages, presumably so we can be charged when we go ever that limit.
But one lives in hope and I wonder if you have anything positive to offer that support may have missed.