cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable referral payments - why the mystery?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Variable referral payments - why the mystery?

Ref ticket 62748142
Of recent months - since the time that I changed my subscription package such that the monthly subscription is less than the usual referral credit - my reported referral payments have been markedly lower than they used to be.  OK I understand that referral credits are not 'posted' if the referred accounts are in default or whatever with PN and that PN cannot discuss the detail.  However given that the reported referral credit was more or less exactly the same as my subscription, something seems fishy and less than straightforward answers from Customer Support do not inspire confidence that the figures are correct.
A drop of £2.50 to £2.85 per month is a lot of (implied) non-payment by my referrals... something seems wrong with the calculations.  These are 'odd' amounts to be deviations on referral amounts and to be honest look like the referal credit values have been capped to the value of my subscription in September & October, with the November cerdit suplus payment making no sense what so ever.  The answer to my previous ticket on this suggested that the 'surplus' is not reported at all through the user portal.  I'm confused!!!  Any chance that one of the care team could review this for me please?
Where referral value exceeds subscription, it would be so much clearer if the billing system advised...

• 1. Your subscription is £X

• 2. Your referral credit is £Y

• 3. Your bank / credit card will be debited / credited with X-Y / Y-X

Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Variable referral payments - why the mystery?

Hi there,
From reading through that ticket and checking the referral details myself I don't think there's an issue. I can see that my colleague who last replied mentioned some unspent credit which will be accounted for on the December bill.
I can see that the referral values that have been accrued have varied but unfortunately (and as I'm sure you're already aware) data protection prevents us from telling you the precise nature of the issue. One of your referred customers cancelling or having a billing issue or downgrading their account for one of a lower referral value are the most common reasons so that's something I'd advise considering.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Re: Variable referral payments - why the mystery?

Hi Adam,
Thank you for your reassurance: after a very detailed inspection of invoices and referral token listings, I think I have got to the bottom of this issue.  I conclude that the way 'above subscription' referral credits are handled could be improved.  Given that we have a very clear listing of active (and dead) user identified tokens, I do not understand why credit payments cannot clearly indicate the associated token.  Also, whilst 'tokens credited to match the subscription value' invoices are itemised (including part redemptions) when an 'excess' payment is made, that invoice does not similarly identify the tokens being paid in whole or in part.
In respect of my concern, I now guess that a correction has been made to my referral token count - I used to get 20 tokens credited albeit I only had 18 active tokens listed.  I suspect that historically I have been getting a referral credit on my own BB & phone account and having changed my package that has been corrected, accounting for a loss of 2 tokens £1 per month  Sad  Working the referral credit value out based on this theory and my actual subscriptions, I get the same answer as does PN.  Cheesy Grin
I note in the Nov Invoice 37641453 there are 3 credits (9853480, 10010526 and 10165532) each for £0.59 - I have only one referral listed as generating £0.59 per month and that is my own business BB account (you can cross check that by associated mobile numbers).  I conclude that the 3x credits in one month must be something to do with this token's absence in Sept & Oct for whatever reason.  To the best of my knowledge (and as indicated on the business account's payment history), we have had no issue on our business account, thus I am at a loss to understand what has happened here.
Given the above analysis the paid balance seems correct.
I suggest that in the context of this enquiry, the CS agents could have said "With the change of your subscription package, we have corrected an historic error with your referral tokens, also there has been an internal delay in processing some of your referral tokens, however this is now fully up to date and the balance is correct".  This would not have infringed any data protection 'issue' but would have better informed me,removed my reservation that the referral system is 'broken and saved a lot of time for PN staff'.  I conclude the referral system is not broken, just simply it can be confusing!  Roll_eyes Huh Crazy  Will close the ticket with some relevent feedback.
Thanks & cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.