cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speeds are worse than useless compared to my last ISP

southheathen
Dabbler

Upload speeds are worse than useless compared to my last ISP

Why is it that my upload speeds are so poor? I changed to Plusnet to take advantage of Fibre optic, due to BT not upgrading faulty equipment at the box (DSLAM card) I am now left with a broadband service that I never wanted and is totally useless to me. Whereas I always used to get a slow 1meg upload from BE Internet, I am now getting as low as 20% of that from .2 to .4 meg and I need upload speed when I am at home because I am a Web Developer. I have been given a review date of September for BT to pull their finger out, but if they actually do something I would be amazed!
12 REPLIES 12
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Upload speeds are worse than useless compared to my last ISP

Hi southheathen,
I'm really sorry to hear that you're having problems with your upload speeds. I can place an order tomorrow morning to uncap your upload speeds if you'd like?
The upload speeds are likely to be in the region of 1Mb or maybe a little lower.
southheathen
Dabbler

I signed up for fibre, if I wanted broadband I would have stayed with BE Internet, their service was better with faster download and MUCH faster upload speeds. I told Plusnet that I was a web developer from day one, common sense should have prevented upload capping to a user like me. Frankly I am incensed with the whole business, Plusnet promised so much but delivered nothing and don't even get me started on BTOpenreach, any thoughts I have on that shower would be unprintable!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I completely appreciate the the circumstances that you've outlined and I'm more than happy to take a look into your connection as well as any issues that you have with ourselves and your upload speed.
If you could let me know how you'd like me to help you, I'll do all I can to ensure it happens.
southheathen
Dabbler

It isn't that complicated Chris, what I want is the fibre I contracted for, not the broadband I would never have wanted, especially SLOW broadband that made BE Internet look like a cheetah on speed! I don't know how I even ended up in this dark place where snails laugh at me as they pass by. What am I supposed to do with .2 - .4 meg upload? Jeez! I can sweat faster than that!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

All you need to do is say "yes" and Chris said he'd place an order to uncap your upload speed in the morning. Maybe something can also be done to improve download speeds.
Neither of these achieve getting FTTC to you but they do improve the present position.
David
southheathen
Dabbler

When I was left with broadband I should not have needed to ask for uncapped uploads surely? I had ordered fibre, so clearly I was looking for a speedy connection and I made it very clear that I needed fibre for upload speed more than download speed from the outset. The changeover from BE was months ago and I left it awhile hoping things would improve, I didn't even think that speeds would be capped, therefore I assumed it was just a rubbish service. Tonight is the first time I even knew that capping was being employed. Do I want to be uncapped? Frankly I am not even sure I want Plusnet, I am totally cheesed off with the whole matter!
southheathen
Dabbler

In case anyone wants to know, BTOpenreach knew about the DSLAM issue months before Plusnet asked them to sort the problem out. They of course sent out engineers to look in the box, so that they could go back and say the card needed upgrading, then they sent out some more engineers to look in the box, then more... then another... How many BTOpenreach engineers would it take to change a lightbulb? Answers on a postcard...
southheathen
Dabbler

While I think of it Chris.... I don't want uploads to be capped... I never wanted them capped. Thought I had better explain that in case there should be any misunderstanding. When I want it capped again... I'll call you!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

There were good reasons with BT's initial 21CN WBC product why capping upstream, on balance, improved the customer experience (an overused phrase). However that is no longer the case and I believe the order processes are down to be changed. Users having to discover the uncapping option by visiting the forums is bad.
Sad tale about repeated BTOR visits to the cabinet. I hope Plusnet can get them to press the stop button for the roundabout soon.
David
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: southheathen
While I think of it Chris.... I don't want uploads to be capped... I never wanted them capped. Thought I had better explain that in case there should be any misunderstanding. When I want it capped again... I'll call you!

I've just placed an order for your upload speeds to be uncapped. It's likely that this order will complete on Monday morning.
southheathen
Dabbler

Download speed tonight reached as high as 5.46 Mbps still not as good as BEInternet was, upload was .1Mbps which frankly is totally useless to me! Next time I need to upload something, I would be quicker putting it on a penstick, driving to Manchester and uploading it directly to the server. Speedtest: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=137367655564549163490
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Your upload speed is now uncapped, your downstream profile has also increased slightly too so you should see an improvement both ways.