cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Unlimited all went smoothly, thanks!

LordFox
Rising Star

Upgrade to Unlimited all went smoothly, thanks!

As of some time over night, I'm now on Unlimited (not fibre) instead of Extra. I was really concerned about my IP block being messed up, but I needn't have been.
I raised a ticket asking a few questions before starting the upgrade, which was answered by Sam. Then I telephoned to ask for the upgrade in person and make double sure about the IP block and, luck would have it, I got to speak with Sam again.
So, thanks PN for the new, painlessly-upgraded connection, and Sam for an efficient and concern-allaying service!
(Now I just need to buy another few TB of storage to store all the extra stuff I'm bound to download, lol)
14 REPLIES 14
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Upgrade to Unlimited all went smoothly, thanks!

You're really lucky not to be on Fibre then, I downloaded a couple of 1GB test files using my recently 'upgraded' Fibre Unlimited, each took about 3 minutes (I'm a little way from the cabinet so I don't get the maximum speed but not too bad),  On that basis I could fill a 1TB drive in under an hour - hadn't factored that cost into the upgrade Tongue
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
LordFox
Rising Star

Tell me about it!
That was actually a deciding factor in not going for fibre. I'm close to the exchange so get pretty much full ADSL2+ speed, and I couldn't keep up with the storage requirements with overnight downloading, let alone unlimited all day.
I have to keep telling myself, "just because I can, doesn't mean I must..."
Either that, or maybe PN should get into the hard disk market.
w23
Pro

Phew, just realised my calculation error (confused seconds with minutes), I'll only actually need 14TB of disk space for a full month's 'flat-out' downloading.  Cheesy
Seriously though, with the traffic prioritisation and 'no hidden limits' I think PlusNet have honestly got about the best implementation of 'Unlimited' available in the UK today.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
The_10th
Grafter

LordFox - glad your IP address wasn't altered. I have switched a few times and every time the IP has needed to be re-added and then a different address which included speaking to agents and being told it's all going to stay the same... I understand PN are to try a fix this coming week so fingers crossed it works or over to the Devs.
W23 - the PN Unlimited option doesn't look bad in comparison with the main players. Glad I stayed around instead of going Sky-bound. For me, the unlimited option just means less to worry about and the cost is good too - won't be constantly P2P or streaming to make use of it though can understand the 'newness' of it may mean this initially for some.  Wink
w23
Pro

Hopefully it's a sign that they're on top of the issue now, my static IP remained the same for my changeover on 4th Jan.  As for usage, mine will probably increase a bit since I will no longer worry about streaming (iPlayer etc.) but I'll probably not actually exceed my previous Fibre Extra allowance too often, just nice not to have to worry about it.
My performance monitoring before and after changing to Unlimited has shown no adverse effects so I'd certainly recommend this product to anyone.
Call me 'w23'
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Mine got changed today - AFAIK!!!
I wouldn't describe it as unlimited - it seems exactly the same as the 250GB offering...

8GB downloaded during the day - which is typical weekend usage.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I wouldn't describe it as unlimited - it seems exactly the same as the 250GB offering...

Apart from the lack of usage allowances which is what makes it Unlimited?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Some people are always moaning  Lips_are_sealed
[coat]
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@LordFox
Have you checked your upload speed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LordFox
Rising Star

Hmm - out of curiosity I just did the BT speed test (when it finally deigned to actually run).
According to my modem, I'm connected at 20459 kbps down and 1047 kbps up.
My own quick tests shoving files around on ftp show about 2.1 MBps down and 115 kBps up. That is the same as before the upgrade.
BT says:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 16.59 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 18.05 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.46Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
There seems some disparity between BT's results and what my own quick ftp tests show. Everything is working nicely as before though, so I'm happy and who cares about BT?!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Chris

Apart from the lack of usage allowances which is what makes it Unlimited?

The main reason I went for it was the lack of throttling content-based speed-limiting.
However, either it's not working, or the rest of the internet is all choked up. Cheesy
The only application that runs close to full speed is XBMC - and only at the right time of day.
Tried capturing a BBC flash stream to disk - but only got about 1 MByte/sec (absolute maximum speed is 8.5MByte/sec).
However, managed 7MB/sec on FTP from a BSD site - so I suppose it's unthrottled...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: LordFox
There seems some disparity between BT's results and what my own quick ftp tests show. Everything is working nicely as before though, so I'm happy and who cares about BT?!

The downstream values seem similar to me. MBps with a capital B are bytes and there are 8 bits in these to get Mbps with a lower case b.
Downstream 8 x 2.1MBps == 16.8Mbps compared with 16.59Mps in the BT test. Upstream 8 x 115kBps == 920kbps is double the BT measurement of 460kbps, which is an oddball.
David
LordFox
Rising Star

Yes, it's the upstream that puzzled me. I was watching while the test ran and I saw a consistent 110 to 115 kBps upstream on my meter. Nothing else was running.
(I know about b and B, it's whether the k is 1000 or 2^8 (and similar for M)  that always gets me. If in doubt, I'll assume the most pessimistic, lol).
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Un
Tried capturing a BBC flash stream to disk - but only got about 1 MByte/sec (absolute maximum speed is 8.5MByte/sec).

Well that is 8Mbps, you only need 3.5Mbps for HD streaming in iPlayer according to Auntie. There maybe speed limitations from BBC servers depending on load/demand.