cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unjustified price increase.

Scribe
Grafter

Unjustified price increase.

In June last year I took out a 2 year broadband only contract. In July - the very next month (and without any warning when I agreed to the contract), you increased the price by £1, which I thought really wasn't playing the game. Now after only 18 months you are going to increase it by a further £2!

It looks a lot like you are punishing those that have a broadband only contract, and as a loyal customer of 9 years standing I would have hoped for better treatment than this.

I used to rate you very highly and firmly believed I could trust you to be fair, so it does sadden me a lot when I say that you most definitely are no longer 'doing me proud.'

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Unjustified price increase.

You're probably right in saying that Plusnet no longer wants broadband only customers. To be honest it is lousy value for money compared with a combined broadband and phone deal. I have it in the back of my head, but might be wrong' that Plusnet are not offering this option from December.

You may be able to get around this if you pay 12 monthe up front with a line rental saver package. Alternatively of course you could ring customer services to see what deals are available if you start a new contract including your phone.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Scribe, thanks for your post.

We're sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction at the news of the upcoming price increase and will ensure that your feedback is passed along to the relevant team.

@Baldrick1 - that's right, we won't be offering broadband only contracts from December of this year, although @Scribe is of course able to remain on his current package should he choose.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

To be honest, I do not comprehend why anyone would want separate providers for phone and broadband.

Due to the way BTOR operates in the event of a ‘broadband’ issue, a user could find themselves ping - ponging between CP and ISP providers seeking a resolution.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Once upon a time ISP's actually were Internet Service Providers.

However, they saw that they could make more profit by offering multiple other services that had little to do with the Internet.

About 12 years ago I moved my internet from one ISP to Plusnet.

Plusnet didn't offer all these "extra services" so I kept my phone with BT.

I've never been tempted to let Plusnet's accounting system mangle my phone bills - which is why I retain separate phone & data providers.

For voice problems BT would get BTOR to fix it.

For data problems Plusnet would get BTOR to fix it.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Scribe
Grafter

It's all - or should be, about choice, but however you look at it, a £3 price hike in 18 months is way over the top. I'm sure there never used to be such big and frequent increases, and that was when inflation was much higher, so there is no excuse for it. But maybe back then, they didn't waste so much money on advertising...

I have no complaints with the service, so it's especially disappointing that they have chosen to let themselves down like this.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@VileReynard

The ‘interesting’ problem comes when a ‘data’ problem is being caused by a ‘POTS’ problem ... but the ‘phone’ service is not impeded. If there are split suppliers the ISP cannot raise a POTS fault report ... and the CP is not likely to foot the cost of a POTS repair which is not impacting the service they provide.

As for billing, BT Retail has always been more expensive than Plusnet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@Scribe wrote:

It's all - or should be, about choice, but however you look at it, a £3 price hike in 18 months is way over the top. I'm sure there never used to be such big and frequent increases, and that was when inflation was much higher, so there is no excuse for it. But maybe back then, they didn't waste so much money on advertising...

Is it not the case that if there is a price hike part way through a contract  and you tell Plusnet within 30 days of being informed that you want to leave for this reason then they will release you without penalties?

Plusnet no longer want broadband only customers as evidenced by the fact that they are not offering this option from next month.

Maybe it’s time for a fresh start?

Moderator and Customer

Scribe
Grafter

@Baldrick1, yes I believe that's the case, but I don't really want the hassle of having to leave after all this time, and - perhaps naively, I just keep hoping that they will once again live up to their 'We'll do you proud' slogan. Although having said that, there is a limit to everything!

VileReynard
Hero

@Townman wrote:
The ‘interesting’ problem comes when a ‘data’ problem is being caused by a ‘POTS’ problem ... but the ‘phone’ service is not impeded. If there are split suppliers the ISP cannot raise a POTS fault report ... and the CP is not likely to foot the cost of a POTS repair which is not impacting the service they provide.

As for billing, BT Retail has always been more expensive than Plusnet.

There isn't a split problem - the voice provider has to provide a voice service and the ISP has to provide a minimum speed over "fibre".

I make virtually no chargeable calls - so I expect the line rental isn't much different between the two entities. The service level is definitely superior at BT - so I have no reason to gamble with Plusnet.

Baldrick1

@VileReynard 

I understand that the basic line rental charges are not that far apart. The big isse for me is the difference in cost between adding on a broadband package to BT and paying a different ISP for the broadband service only.

Presumably if BT custower service is better for your phone service, doesn't this also apply to broadband? If this is the case wouldn't it be cheaper to get both services fron BT, be it be at a higher ptice than getting the same package from Plusnet?

Moderator and Customer

VileReynard
Hero

I'd expect BT's broadband customer service to be better than Plusnet - but the price disparity is so large that I wouldn't consider BT for broadband.

I haven't received a notification of a price increase - yet!

I'm hoping that my Unlimited Fibre package - dating from May 2012 puts me outside of the specified categories of price increases.

But if I get a bad notification, I'll find out more info on combining services at Zen.