cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive any emails for some time

randpwar
Grafter

Unable to receive any emails for some time

I’ve raised a couple of calls with the Customer Support Desk over the last couple of weeks concerning why our Metronet email account is showing as 100% full when there are only 40 odd emails in with a combined size of less than 1mb
Both calls have been dealt with efficiently, helpfully and politely and were passed on.
Unfortunately I heard nothing else and consequently raised a support ticket (74280640) . This was submitted through the Plusnet member support and I’ve since been requested to log the same ticket through the Metronet member support for Data Protection reasons. I tried to access our very, very old Metronet account and failed. I have put the username and password of our Metronet account and email account and Plusnet account on the ticket a couple of days ago but have had no response since
It has now become a big problem for us that this email account has completely stopped working. Would someone please take ownership of this problem and expedite a solution
21 REPLIES 21
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Unable to receive any emails for some time

Hi there,
The person you spoke to opened a ticket on your Metronet account (Ticket: 73898617) and passed this down to our net ops team to look at. They found that although the inbox had a small number of mails, the deleted items had a large number of mails in. Try logging in to webmail, clearing the deleted items and it should work as normal after that.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

On Plusnet the deleted emails get automatically purged after (I think) a week. Is it not the same on Metronet and if not, why not?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks Chris but no it hasn't. My view of 'Deleted' is showing as completely empty. It may very well be that your net ops team has a totally different view of the mail account from mine as purely a user.
The total of all the emails in all the folders, including 'Deleted', is 40 odd emails with a combined size of 0.67 mb.
Chris
Legend

OK, let me take a look. I'll get back to you shortly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Got it (I think)....
At the bottom left of the screen, underneath the folder listing, click the cog and choose 'Manage Folders'
There should be a list of all folders and there's probably one called 'Deleted Items' that's not currently selected. Select this and then go back to your inbox, you should see the new folder.
(I've just found the same in one of my mailboxes, I'm assuming it's from an email client I've used that's created it's own IMAP folder.
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks Chris
At work at the moment and therefore not allowed to access webmail but will check tonight.
Rather than laboriously deleting (apparently) very many emails can I just delete this (apparently) spurious folder?
Rob
Chris
Legend

Yes.
When you've selected 'Manage Folders', if you click on the folder you want to get rid of (make sure it's the right one!) you can then click the cog again and choose 'delete'.
randpwar
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Well that certainly worked inasmuch as deleting the ‘Deleted’ folder reduced the capacity to 8% and emails started to flow in, however, when trying to delete some of the new emails I’m getting a ‘server error CREATE invalid mailbox name’ error and I’m unable to delete any emails from the Inbox
Rob
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If this is in webmail you could try turning on the preference "If moving messages to "Deleted Items" fails, permanently delete them".
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks jelv. Would this be in the settings 'cog'?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Personal settings (top right), Preferences, Server settings
When I saw the suggestion to delete the Trash folder I was uneasy (if you look in the special folders section you'll see deleted items is mapped to the special Trash folder).
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could try having a look at Special Folders under Personal Settings
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you deselect Trash in the special folders (select the -- entry), all webmail deletes are instant permanent deletes.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Do you only access your mailbox using webmail or do you connect to it using any mail client on your PC?