Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treatment of existing customers

trymyluck
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Treatment of existing customers

I am an existing customer of Plusnet, paying for Fibre to Cabinet broadband plus Anytime phone. My broadband/phone tariff limits me to 40GB download per month for daytime and evening broadband usage for which I pay £16.49 a month. Anytime calls incur an additional charge of course.
When checking Plusnet advertisements I found that new customers were given special introductory deals as I was when I moved to Plusnet so I have no complaints about that. However, I also found that, after the introductory deal, the regular terms were now a monthly charge of £14.99 i.e £1.50 less than I am paying AND no daytime/evening broadband usage limits.
I have now gone on line and signed up for the better tariff which will not come into effect until my next monthly bill is due.
Would it not be decent business practice for Plusnet to automatically transfer existing customers to the better terms and conditions or at least draw the customers' attention to them or does it need a regulator to enforce codes of ethical business conduct?
27 REPLIES 27
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Treatment of existing customers

But in changing products you will have accepted  a new 18 month contract. Would you have been happy if Plusnet had imposed that on you?
Although you already have changing product in progress I suggest you give the Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 or 0330 123 9197. They are open Monday to Friday 9.00am - 8.00pm (except Bank Holidays) and Saturday 9.00am - 5.30pm. It's worth seeing if they have any offers for existing customers.
David
David
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I would certainly give COT a ring you may be pleasantly surprised.
trymyluck
Rising Star

I will give customer services a ring but I think this is missing the point. Many people, for example those ( and there are probably many more than you might think)  who find difficulty dealing with life's many complications,  will continue to live with bad deals from commercial organisations. I would not want to have a new 18 month contract just foisted on me; but is it too much to expect to be informed that I could be paying less for more if I am willing to sign up for another fixed term contract?
stormchaser2005
Grafter

to be honest if this is the worst you have experienced from plusnet then think yourself lucky!
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@trymyluck
If you did a search on the Forums you would find that this I a regular topic and no they won't change  Lips_are_sealed
This business model is standard across the industry and to break ranks would be economic suicide
But PN do it better than most and a phone call or hanging round the Forums will show you that the agents are human, knowledgable and have enough authority. You will be pleasantly surprised.  Smiley
It just the way Plusnet do things!
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
trymyluck
Rising Star

I am willing to accept that Plusnet are one of the better organisations selling broadband and telephone services. Nevertheless things will never improve while there there are so many apologists for bad business practice.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I get your point.
We do occasionally have outbound campaigns to offer existing customers better deals. Of course, that is subject to recontracting.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
nffc1954

Quote from: spraxyt
But in changing products you will have accepted  a new 18 month contract. Would you have been happy if Plusnet had imposed that on you?
Although you already have changing product in progress I suggest you give the Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 or 0330 123 9197. They are open Monday to Friday 9.00am - 8.00pm (except Bank Holidays) and Saturday 9.00am - 5.30pm. It's worth seeing if they have any offers for existing customers.
David

Hi David,
Just tried what you suggested  -  I'm currently on unlimited broadband and pay advanced rental.
When I took this out , I was worried about having to sign uo to 18 months (12mths @ 2.49 plus 6mths @ £9.99), the Plusnet adviser told me
not to worry and to phone in after 12mths and I would be allowed to switch to one of the offers that are current at the time.
So, having spoken to Retentions on the number you quote I was offered a 24mth £5pm contract !!
Even after mentioning what the adviser told me 12mths earlier, I was informed that was the only offer available to current clients.
Having seen all of he current TV adverts and also the £75 cashback offer on Broadband Choices and Moneysupermarket I was very disappointed.
Especially as Plusnet also have to provide new customers with equipment too.
Peter
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just to rub salt into the wounds (mine) - as a very long term customer - that was all I was offered as well
Of course I expect to go back some time next year and ask for a new deal if - here's hoping - fibre arrives at my cab
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi Peter,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the offer.
Our retentions team aim to offer the best they can within the limitations of the company. It really shouldn't be standard practice for a sales agent to encourage you to call and ask for a new offer once the initial discounts expire so I'll make sure that I get that fed back.
My apologies again.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
nffc1954

Hi Matty,
Thanks for your quick response.
I understand the position your staff are in and I did apologies to the one I spoke to earlier today.
However,  having trusted one of Plusnet's advisors back in November 2013, I am now left in a position where I am at a disadvantage.
If I wish to leave, I need to now pay £9.99 for 6 months and if I wish to stay, I need to sign up for 24mths @ £5pm.
Surely if you wish to grow your customer base, one of your priorities should be to retain current clients.
By offering new customers better deals (AND CASH BACK !!) you rubbing current customers noses in it.
The least we should be offered should be the lowest price offer for the services we are signed up to !
Kind Regards,
Peter
AndyH
Grafter

Most service based companies offer better deals for new customers to attract their business. This is the nature of being competitive in a market place like broadband, there are always new customer deals to try and undercut the competitors' offers.
Quote from: spraxyt

Is this right though?
I had a quick glance through the T&Cs and looked for the relevant bits for fibre broadband:
If you upgrade to Plusnet Fibre from any Plusnet broadband package, you will need to agree to a new a new minimum period of 18 or 24 months depending on the service you choose and pay any applicable Plusnet Fibre set-up charge.

If you go over your usage guideline, we may charge you for your extra usage, upgrade you to another Plusnet Fibre option that is better suited to your usage or end your agreement. You can find details of the extra usage charges in the Plusnet Price guide. If we upgrade you to another Plusnet Fibre product, any remaining minimum period will be carried forward to your new product.

None of these state that a change of fibre products means a new 18 month contract though.
Anonymous
Not applicable

A 24 month Fibre contract for £5pm, if only. I'm stuck on a sticksville exchange (yes I know it's my choice to live here) with no competition so when I joined PN last year I didn't even get to take up the £2.49pm offer due to the lack of competition.
You really don't know how lucky you are, having a service like that at that price.
nffc1954

If it were fibre I wouldn't be complaining !!  Just bog stndard BB
dick:quote