cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of service from BT, no service for 3 weeks

SJK
Dabbler

Transfer of service from BT, no service for 3 weeks

Hi all, my case is in progress at the moment, but I would like to explain my experience here, and maybe if any one else does a search and ends up here following similar issues, maybe they could let me know and give me hope of a fix.....

Also, I will probably get a list of similar cases together for when I put in a proper written complaint to OFCOM.

I decided to transfer from BT to plusnet as BT continually put up prices, even with annual haggling, and I was not getting the same service as new customers, e.g. perks and new equipment, but being charged more.

I selected Plusnet as I am aware they are owned by the same company, so my logic was that it should be a simple switch with no issues like changing lines etc.

I received a date fromBT and a welcome info letter from plusnet, so I felt everything was going fine.... but no router appeared, so I contacted plusnet and they arranged for one to be sent out, better late that never eh?

On date of transfer (bear in mind I had spoken to team over router and no one had said anything to the contrary), I lost all services. I have dialling tone, but no ability to make calls.

I was told that the BT engineer should not have disconnected me, as it was a transfer, and now I had to wait for an engineer to look at the issue. I asked how long this would take but was assured that although they could not give a date, it would be days rather than weeks.

Over three weeks later I still have no service.

I am put through a cycle like this:-

1. Sorry, there is a fault (I am told something about my details lost by openreach), it will be fixed in 24hrs, so we will call you in 2 days

2. The fault was fixed, but needs to be tested, which will take 24hrs, we will call you in 2 days

3. The test passed, so we are just waiting to give you an activation date, so we will call you with a date next Monday.

4. We cannot give you a date, because there is a fault..... and so on

Has anyone managed to sort this? Surely if this is a fault that they have experience of (I have found a number of similar experiences on here), then it should be simple to fix?

My conclusion is...

1. Plusnet customer services are just relaying the same messages from openreach

2. Openreach are treating each cycle as a new issue maybe?

3. Plusnet are not signed up for the OFCOM automatic compensation scheme, so there is no pain their end and no compensation my end for the daily use of mobile data and time and effort on my part.

4. I could in theory pull out after 30 days, but if openreach is the source of the error, then unless I go with a supplier that uses a non BT system, I won't move forward any further.

Any suggestions?

Sarah

Tags (3)
27 REPLIES 27
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Transfer of service from BT, no service for 3 weeks

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Posts released from Spam Filter and duplicate removed.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I’m surprised that a Plusnet staffer has not yet come along to pick this up but no doubt one will be along soon.

As an aside, as I understand it the cancellation period is 14 days from the day you sign up for the service not the go live date. I have no idea how this squares with your current situation. Hopefully one of the proactive Plusnet staffers on this forum will get some sense out of Openreach and resolve this quickly.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I'm really sorry to see your switchover from BT hasn't gone smoothly and we're encountering problems. Sad

I've reviewed the order and discussed this with Openreach, the problem seems to be that the phone and fibre orders we've placed with our suppliers is basically stuck in the system and haven't reached a committed/confirmed date.

I've been advised that this is due to the line routing that needs to be updated on the phone order, however this appears to be stalled as our suppliers phone team are waiting for the broadband order to commit to a completion date.

I've escalated this with Openreach and I've been assured that the order will commit today. Having said that I wouldn't like to provide you with a guaranteed date as it's not really possible for us to guarantee this with you as further issues or delays may occur however when the order has been committed, we'll ensure that the order is fast tracked to completion.

Once you're up and running we'll also be happy to discuss a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience this has caused.

While it's your decision if you'd like to leave Plusnet and go with another provider, at this stage it's possible that we may not actually be able to cancel the order in the supplier systems which may cause problems for the new provider and you may also lose your telephone number as it'll automatically be released into the BT network if the order cancels. 

I've also escalated your ticket 192429176 to the social media team's workflow/queue for myself and my colleagues to take ownership of moving forward to proactively chase up and escalated where needed.

We'll ensure that this is sorted as soon as we can. Apologies again for the inconvenience.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SJK
Dabbler

So, another Monday, another failed promise of activation date.

Today the advisor did not even have the nerve to call me back as promised. I just got a text to say that once the exception clears, I will have service.

Is this the same exception that was cleared and tested last week or a new one?

Now I am back to stage 1 of my loop, only this time no promise of when we progress.

I suppose I take up this and call on Wednesday, as has been our routine for the last month.

Summer holidays for the kids with no internet access, I wonder what the guys in charge at plusnet would do about the situation if they were actually in it?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@SJK

I'm sorry. Unfortunately OR are closed this late to contact them (or at least the team we need). I've popped it to be picked up first thing and my colleague @LaurenB will get back to you. 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Morning @SJK, I have contacted our suppliers but I'm afraid that we have been advised that we should have an update on Wednesday as the details have been passed to the relevant team for the service exception to be actioned so the order can progress.

This has been escalated and we are doing what we can to get this committed for you, I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
SJK
Dabbler

Can I predict that in Wednesday the story will be that the exception is cleared, but I have to wait until Monday for an activation date, because that it what has happened EVERY TIME for the last FOUR WEEKS.

I think it is time to escalate it more than it has been escalated the last 3 times.

I will follow your complaints procedure and contact your trade body/ resolution service and Ofcom.

In the next few days my mobile data runs out and it won't be refreshed until 8th September.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @SJK, thank you for getting back to me. Given your experience so far I can fully appreciate your lack of confidence regarding the committed date but please know that we are doing all we can to get this resolved for you. As soon as we have any further updates we'll be sure to let you know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@LaurenB @JOLO @Gandalf 

Is this shabby BT performance lodge with DSO yet?

Who is failing here BTOR or BTw?

@SJK 

The shabby "fix one problem owned by BTw or BTOR (only after the retailer has identified it) at a time" leaving their own systems to stumble over the next issue in their systems, is at time sadly endemic.  In my personal experience, BT (whoever) are not overly bothered about fixing an issue quickly (48 hours each time), no matter how much chasing or escalating an ISP / CP applies … until after the end consumer writes direct to the CEOs of BT Group, BT Wholesale and / or BT Openreach.  Potential damage to BT brand reputation seems to oil wheels for the ISP / CP who is being stone-walled as appears to be happening here.  I have done such before and been thanked by excellent Plusnet support staff for unblocking the BT obstacles they were being faced with.

Sadly BT tell their retail customers if they cannot or cannot invoke higher escalation (e.g. DSO).  End user complaints direct to BT senior managers appear to remove such obstacles.  Ofcom ought to be addressing these issues, but the last time I recall them looking at sorting out such BT nonsense, they stated that they needed "Permission from Brussels" before they could demand better performance from BT.  Come the 1st November 2019, it might be hoped that Ofcom can finally grow some teeth and deal with BT's sloped shoulders buck-passing.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SJK
Dabbler

Thank you @Townman 
Today we actually made some progress, exactly 4 weeks in!
In the vein of the old joke about turning things on and off again, plusnet decided to cancel my order and re-start it.

When the fibre broadband was cancelled, for some unexplained reason, the phone line order then magically progressed itself, so they left it alone, and I now have the ability to make calls again!!

To be honest, I am not sure what this means about where the fault lies. I have no knowledge of how these things work, but it sounds like the whole thing got stuck in some loop (which I pointed out on round 2), presumably caused by some technical link up between plusnet and BT openreach systems and the fact I had two items ordered.

Pretty rubbish, but I am so glad to be out of an infinite loop, I am going to sleep like a baby tonight and dream of a time of actual internet connection.... it’s the school holidays, and I am asked daily.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear that your phone line is up and running now @SJK

We've tried to place your broadband order this morning however it appears some records for the line are incorrect which is preventing us from doing this.

I've raised what's known as a TAGS query to our suppliers so they can get this resolved.

As soon as we know more we'll update the open ticket on the account

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SJK
Dabbler

Well, I have a broadband service date.

Despite being assured I would get a super fast completion once issues sorted, I have been given a date of 19th SEPTEMBER. 

So, 6 weeks of no internet.... I cannot do the work I need to do in preparation for the new term and I have a kid's birthday 14th that I can't properly plan. That is on top of the lack of internet banking etc that I use on a twice weekly basis at least.

No access to tv services, which has been a major pain, it being the holidays .

Absolute rubbish.

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @SJK

Thanks for getting in touch and I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced.

Having reviewed the details of your order I would not be able to provide further insight today due to our suppliers being closed on a Sunday, I would advise that your account and order is being monitored by ourselves in the Social Media team and my colleagues will be able to provide further information tomorrow.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@Warwick

One simple question - has this been escalated to DSO? BT’s failure appears to be chronic here!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.