Did you mean: 

Totally fed up with Plusnet!!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Totally fed up with Plusnet!!

@Gandalf,

As I hinted, it depends on the email client being used.

If it is possible to retain email RECIEPT capability on the old account for free, it should be possible to do the following...

• Inbound - pop.plus.net or imap.plus.net authenticated with OLD ACCOUNT
  • Outbound - relay.plus.net authenticated with NEW ACCOUNT

That is set Outbound to required authentication ... but with different credentials to the Inbound server.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Just discussed this with Bob and yeah that should work.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
atomit
Dabbler

Hello

I wish - I tried that and it doesn't work.

Best

Anne

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Anne,

I can’t confirm things since I’m not in the office at the moment but that could be because there’s no email service setup on your new broadband account. If you set it up here www.plus.net/email then wait about 4 hours before trying again it should work.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

This has all come about because the user was given duff information when they discussed the requirement to have broadband at both places for a short period. Now they are being considerably inconvenienced.

Is there no way the broadband element can be reactivated on the old account at the new property?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
atomit
Dabbler

Dear jelv

Well put in a nutshell - what I am objecting to more than anything is that such an innocuous request should be such a problem for PlusNet, who are one of the largest broadband providers. There must be thousands of people who need lines installed to a new house before they move and not just on the day itself so why should this be so difficult?

This has turned into a major palaver because the guy who gave me the duff information was really trying to help when everyone else I spoke to said "computer says no". This is the fault of PlusNet's very limited box-ticking support systems - otherwise I have found the people in support competent and helpful, just too few of them to answer the phone before 30-45 minutes and rubbish systems back-up.

I have to say that my problem is nearly fixed but I did not get the support by ringing, emailing or chatting online. I had to write a ranty message to the PlusNet community forum and then it got escalated and all sorts of people made valuable suggestions. Surely such a simple problem should not have to take several weeks to solve but having to cry for help outside the support system!

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Gandalf ..... Some good points made in that post.... perhaps the Management & Team Leaders should take note of where they are not performing as expected by the customer,... ( although they may be "ticking the boxes" for the company ) ...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Is there no way the broadband element can be reactivated on the old account at the new property?

Whilst it's technically possible to add the components back on to a downgraded account, it requires a lot of manual work with potential for things to go wrong. Plus, an existing contract itself can't be moved between accounts.

The above workaround will mean that your email service is free of charge and you'll be able to send mail via mail client for as long as you have an active broadband account with Plusnet.

If you ever decide to move your broadband services away, there's the option to pay for your email service.

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
atomit
Dabbler

Or simply move everything elsewhere and accept the change in email address. I assumed that it would be easy to move my email address to the new account because I was told I could and because everything used to be so easy with Plusnet but it ain't the case anymore so I'll probably just shift to a provider that gives proper service.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry about the incorrect info you've received.

I'll make sure feedback is passed on.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mgfvvc
Hooked

I am shifting my email account to gmail, which is far more generous and efficient.

gmail can be good, until you have problems, but they really don't do customer support.