cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To whom are you selling my details?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: To whom are you selling my details?

Bob I have had three genuine e-mails end up in the spam box this month - all from the same company, what is the address we send a report to?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Getting a bit off topic but if they're all from the same address/domain pierre then you could always blacklist them?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Genuine email in the spambox, I think he wants to whitelist, not blacklist.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its the opposite Bob they are not spam
Chrism2
Grafter

Quote from: Bob

Not 100% sure what you're implying here? The only number that should be listed in any directory is the telephone number associated with a line installation. It wouldn't extend to daytime/evening contact numbers AFAIK.
Quote from: Chrism2
So why then did they call my mobile (the contact number on this account) and ask for my client by name (his name on the account). (Hello is that Mr. Br~~~~~~)
The PN account is the only way they could make this match....

Is it *definitely* the only way? Is there no other way the association could have been made? e.g. they've called the land line in question and been given your mobile number by somebody? (just one of a number of possibilities really). Whilst I'm inclined to agree that it arouses suspicion, I stand by what both me and James have already said.

My implication was that the mobile number I provided to Plusnet, in conjunction with the Landline setup by PlusNet, and customer name has been made available to third party.
The only other possible way this company could have got my details is particularly implausible as it involves the only person who answers the main landline to have said it was his owner (Mr B) that deals with such matters and given them my mobile which he (the user, not Mr B) does not have. I've checked with them, anyway.
It occurs to me that I was (i.e. my mobile)  the contact number given to Openreach to install the line.... could your issue be at that part of the process?
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi Guys,
Please check this site out.  It is a warning about the ID thefts etc.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/security/identity-theft-businesses-are-at-risk/5324
many regards.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Chrism2
It occurs to me that I was (i.e. my mobile)  the contact number given to Openreach to install the line.... could your issue be at that part of the process?

I did wonder that because after investigating, I can say with confidence that mobile numbers aren't shared with other parties for marketing purposes.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Chrism2
Grafter

In which case are you in a position to query Openreach?
I did not give them my contact details, so effectively the element of responsibility does land with you. Or should, in my opinion.
To me, this isn't going to be a massive issue, tbh I've worse things to contend with. I do believe you and your suppliers should be squeaky clean with matters of personal contact details. You never know when ignoring the snowball might suffer you the avalanche.
Epyon
Grafter

I've had a few marketing calls and such since i switched aswell come to think of it.
TicnTac
Grafter

just sticking this thread in reverse a bit and ignoring email spam (don't do spam - keep it simple and I don't use PN email addresses) - mobile number though is a whole different ball game, and has only been given as a contact number, and / or for PN to use to send me funny SMS messages that normally are totally pointless  -but can at least leave an amusing but rather confused facial expression on my face when they come through.  Roll_eyes
The mobile number that was given out to PN has never, ever, had spam / cold calls to it, ever, I know this because I've had the number for 18 years! By rights, my fault for giving it out, but..................and here's the but.................
................actually it ends there as I need to crack on with other things, but I'm sure the the "but............."could be expanded upon Smiley
Roll_eyes
tony8436
Grafter

This thread has grabbed my attention as I have been getting calls from the same number and alot of texts telling me about the compensation I am due for the accident that I have not had.  Until now I didn't even think that these people may have got my details from Plusnet, but if others are getting the same and Plusnet is the only link between OP and his client then perhaps they are getting our details from Plusnet either by stealing them or a staff member being bribed or maybe just someone being careless and leaving them for people to see.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Plusnet has had my mobile number since I first joined and to this day I have not received a text or a call from anyone on my mobile apart from friends,Family, And Plusnet.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=tony8436]have been getting calls from the same number and alot of texts telling me about the compensation I am due for the accident that I have not had
I have started receiving these over the last few weeks  Cry
What really frustrates me is if I answer these calls then there is nobody on the phone at the other end - just the background sound of a busy call centre, but if I don't answer the calls then I end up paying mobile call charges to listen to answer phone messages of background sound of a busy call centre !!!  AAAaaaaggggGGGGHHH !!!!!!  Crazy
tony8436
Grafter

I would be interested to know how they are getting our details.  Apart from friends and family, the only people who have my mobile number are my work, Plusnet and my childrens school.  Friends and family would not pass my details to these companies, I work for the military so they certainly would not pass any info about a serving member, and I can't see my childrens school passing them on.  also I can discount the school as the calls and texts started before my eldest son started school, which either means they got the number from Plusnet, or dialed a random number and got a lucky guess with the name.  only one of those seems likely.
WWWombat
Grafter

I've started to get some of those "accident claim" texts.
That's on a number the PN has no record of. And we get no such texts on the phone number that PN *does* have - nor any other marketing gumph.
I know conspiracy theorists see shadows everwhere, but sometimes there just ain't a correlation!
However... by law, they have to supply a way of you asking for the messages to stop - usually by texting STOP to a number they give. If they don't, then your mobile phone company can remove their service if you complain - and I've seen that happen.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.