Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timescale information for a new to broadband (and Plusnet phone) customer

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Timescale information for a new to broadband (and Plusnet phone) customer

Hi there.
Today I helped a friend sign up for broadband for the first time, and transfer their landline to Plusnet at the same time.  (Username: jemima2009)
On the phone, I was told that it would take 5 to 7 days for the broadband to be activated, and the router would be sent out 48 hours before this activation.  Then 7 to 9 days after the broadband had been activated, the home landline would be transferred over to Plusnet (including cancelling the service and anytime package with BT for us).
However the current portal home page https://portal.plus.net/index_portal.html for this account says:
Once your broadband service is active, we'll arrange to switch your phone service from your current provider. This will take 2-3 weeks.

which I don't think is clear - it might mean that the phone service transfer will take 2-3 weeks AFTER the broadband activation.
(Screenshot showing this.)
Then I've had another thought too.  My friends have paid the year's (eve&w/e) line rental up front, plus the first £3.24/month Value broadband, plus the £4.99 p&p for the router.  I was told on the phone that all this money would be taken at once, today.  But the current portal home page says under the "Your phone order" heading:
Your phone order
<...>
We'll take your first monthly payment 1 month after your service becomes active.
(See above screenshot.)
Which suggests to me that the year's line rental shouldn't be charged until the phone service is provided by Plusnet.  And anyway, it doesn't seem fair to charge for line rental when the phone service isn't active for 2-3 weeks.
I don't know whether it's the wording on the webpage (that only appears for new customers) that needs clarifying, whether there is genuinely something unfair going on, or whether I've been given incorrect information on the phone.  Please would someone clarify the timescales of service activations & money being taken from cards/accounts.
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
scotchwhisky
Grafter

Re: Timescale information for a new to broadband (and Plusnet phone) customer

Hi,
Plusnet really need to sort this out. I also had the first months' rental taken before the my broadband service is live. In fact I'm still waiting for my broadband service but that's another story.
To be fair; as soon as I pointed this out they immediately organised a refund.
Feedback posted here seems to get pretty urgent action.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI guys,
Ok, just to clarify a few things. We always take the first months' broadband as part of the initial fee, but the 2nd month isn't taken until the broadband has been active for one month. No charges are made for phone line rental until the phone service goes active.
As for the discrepancy with the lead time, from what you say it looks like the initial response was borne out of a presumption that the line was on the BT network, when in fact the previous provider was a full LLU provider. The reason behind that is that as we provide broadband over the BT network only, where there is a line that is currently on the BT network we can just place a broadband order which takes 7 days - we then bring the phone over later. If the line is not on the BT network (LLU) then we have to wait for the phone to be active before we place the broadband order. So it looks like your friend was actually on LLU.
Hope that explains things a bit better.
Jojo Smiley
snozboz
Rising Star

Hi JoJo.
Quote from: Joanne
No charges are made for phone line rental until the phone service goes active.

That's not what I was told on the phone.  Also Invoice no. 31866665 shows that line rental saver for £113.88 has already been taken and paid for (along with the first months broadband payment and the router p&p) - well before phone service goes active.
As for the discrepancy with the lead time, from what you say it looks like the initial response was borne out of a presumption that the line was on the BT network, when in fact the previous provider was a full LLU provider

Really?  I've seen the BT bill - it is this bill, and only this bill, that my friends have been paying every quarter up until now (for BT Anytime).  I didn't think BT were ever a full LLU provider - why would they ever be one?
In this specific instance and account, I'm still left asking:
Quote from: snozboz
Please would someone clarify the timescales of service activations & money being taken from cards/accounts.

This is for someone who was with BT Anytime, and wanted to sign up for Plusnet Value broadband (getting broadband for the first time, with the Plusnet wireless 4-port router) and Plusnet Home Phone Evenings & Weekends - with the line rental saver.  And paying by debit card initially and Direct Debit from then on.
And for general feedback I'm still left with the same questions and confusion, and think something needs to change - the person I spoke to on the phone needs to be trained to give better information, or the wording on the webpage needs clarifying, or the timescales of charges versus services being active themselves need changing.
Thanks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Also Invoice no. 31866665 shows that line rental saver for £113.88 has already been taken and paid for

Sorry, it does vary with line rental saver. If that's taken at the point of signup it should be charged against the first bill, if an existing customer opts for it we take the payment on the next billing date.
the person I spoke to on the phone needs to be trained to give better information,

As per your post that I replied to this morning I'll pass some feedback on about that. I believe that the initial experience of a new customer should be smooth and intuitive without them having to do the leg work to find out what's happening with their order.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
snozboz
Rising Star

Hi Adam.
Thanks for your reply.
I think you may not have read my original post fully, and may have conflated this thread with the other thread I started which you replied to.  The two threads are regarding totally unrelated accounts (as well as totally unrelated issues).
I'm glad you're going to pass on my general feedback from this thread - thank you.  Depending on the actual answers, either the webpage needs clarifying or the CSC analyst I spoke to needs some training or the actual timescales themselves need changing.
However I still haven't had answers to some of my specific questions about this account.
1) JoJo said above that the current phone provider is a full-LLU provider, which would explain why the current portal home pages says it will be 2 to 3 weeks before the Plusnet phone is active.  (It would normally be 7 to 9 days after broadband activation for Plusnet phone activation when transferred from BT or BT-based non-LLU providers.)  But as I said above, I've seen the BT Anytime phone bill, and as far as I know BT are never full-LLU providers.
2)
Please would someone clarify the timescales of service activations & money being taken from cards/accounts.

This is for someone who was with BT Anytime, and wanted to sign up for Plusnet Value broadband (getting broadband for the first time, with the Plusnet wireless 4-port router) and Plusnet Home Phone Evenings & Weekends - with the line rental saver.  And paying by debit card initially and Direct Debit from then on.

I still don't know what should be happening when!
Thanks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I think you may not have read my original post fully, and may have conflated this thread with the other thread I started which you replied

Apologies, you're right it looks like I might have done that, do point out if there's any other points I've missed and I'll make sure they get addressed.
JoJo said above that the current phone provider is a full-LLU provider, which would explain why the current portal home pages says it will be 2 to 3 weeks before the Plusnet phone is active.  (It would normally be 7 to 9 days after broadband activation for Plusnet phone activation when transferred from BT or BT-based non-LLU providers.)  But as I said above, I've seen the BT Anytime phone bill, and as far as I know BT are never full-LLU providers.

That's definitely rightBT have never provided full LLU, however we're not in any doubt that the current service is full LLU so you may want to check with BT as your service may not be with them at present. Either way the phone order will be on the 2 to 3 week timescale I'm afraid.

As mentioned we're looking at 2 to 3 weeks for the line install and a further 7 for broadband, the initial charge has been taken and subscription should be billed for upon activation.
hope that helps, let me know if there's anything else I can help with there.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
snozboz
Rising Star

Hi Adam.
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
we're not in any doubt that the current service is full LLU so you may want to check with BT as your service may not be with them at present.

This is worrying.  My friends are paying BT for BT Anytime on the phone number I supplied when signing up to Plusnet Home Phone, so how is another provider (full-LLU) involved?!  Who is this other provider? Who do I need to contact at BT?  I don't suppose you know the number and department to ask for...?  Also, should we put the transfer to Plusnet on hold, until we've sorted this issue out?  (I'm thinking it might make it all the more difficult, going from BT + a.n.other, to BT + a.n.other + Plusnet.)  Help!!!

As mentioned we're looking at 2 to 3 weeks for the line install and a further 7 for broadband, the initial charge has been taken and subscription should be billed for upon activation.

It still seems unclear to me, and either a bit unfair, or contradicted by the portal homepage on this account at the moment, or contradicted by what I was told on the phone.  Is the following correct?
1) The day I rang to sign up, initial line tests started.
2) When successful, first bill charged to Debit Card:
Line Rental Saver £113.88 + First month broadband subscription £3.24 + p&p for the router £4.99
Order Tracker says first payment taken now.
What do you, Adam, in the quote above, mean by "initial charge"?  Which bit of all this is the "initial charge", and how does it differ from the "subscription" which you say should be billed for upon activation and yet the first invoice shows the first subscription having already been taken - before activation?
3) 48 hours before (4), router sent out.
4) 5 to 7 days after (1), broadband activated.
5) Order Tracker says first subscription payment taken now, but as it's already been taken at (2), what does this mean?
6) 2 to 3 weeks after (3), Plusnet Home Phone eve&w/e active.  (And previous provider (still to be sorted out between BT and a.n.other) is automatically cancelled, but existing phone number is retained.)
The portal homepage on this account at the moment says "This will take 2-3 weeks."  I think for clarity it should say "This will take 2-3 weeks after your broadband is active."  And is it 2-3 weeks as in 14 to 21 days including weekends and bank holidays?  Or 2-3 weeks as in 14 to 21 days excluding weekends and bank holidays?  Given that the time for broadband to be activated is given in "working days", there's the potential for confusion here too.  Which is it?
7) One month after Home Phone being active, the first monthly payment is taken.
One calendar month (i.e. the same date each month), four weeks (28 days), or 20 working days?
8.) As my friends have taken Line Rental Saver, they will have paid/been paying for home phone for 2 to 3 weeks PLUS 5 to 7 days EQUALS 4 weeks (or 2 weeks 5 days at absolute minimum) without actually getting the service - this seems unfair. Next year, will the date of renewal for line rental be the date of signup, or the date of activation, or what?  If it's the date of signup, the quoted figure of £9.49-equivalent per month for Line Rental Saver is inaccurate - it's more like £10.35-equivalent.
9) What does the current portal home page mean by "first monthly payment" at (7) in this case anyway?  As my friends have taken Line Rental Saver, there isn't a regular monthly payment to take for phone.  But on the webpage, that sentence is in the "Your phone order" paragraph.  But if it meant broadband, then it can't be the "first" because this has already been taken at (2) (or maybe it should be (5)).
10) It seems that when I look on the current portal homepage, the Order Tracker page, or Adam's response to this thread, money is being taken well before service is provided, but also money is said to be being taken at several stages - stages that are different depending on where I look.  Also money is being taken when it seems to me that all necessary and due charges have already been taken in one go on the first invoice very early on after initial line checks.  The next time money should be taken is only when the second monthly subscription for broadband is due, and any phone charges for phone use outside the limits of the evenings & weekends package criteria.
I look forward to Adam's responses.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Who is this other provider?

We don't know which is why I'm advising that you contact BT.
Who do I need to contact at BT?

Your friends should have the relevant contact details for that.
With regards to payments there's only been one single invoice for an initial payment which refers to the first month of subscription, the activation fee and postage and packing for your friend's hardware, I can't honestly see any issues with anything else you've mentioned there.
says first subscription payment taken now, but as it's already been taken at (2), what does this mean?

The wording of taken now could also be taken as the fee has already been taken which is what that seems to refer to.
7) One month after Home Phone being active, the first monthly payment is taken.
One calendar month (i.e. the same date each month), four weeks (28 days), or 20 working days?

a billing month, so that would be done on their next invoice date, that usually means 30 days, of course if your friend has taken LRS that won't apply.
9) What does the current portal home page mean by "first monthly payment" at (7) in this case anyway?  As my friends have taken Line Rental Saver, there isn't a regular monthly payment to take for phone.  But on the webpage, that sentence is in the "Your phone order" paragraph.  But if it meant broadband, then it can't be the "first" because this has already been taken at (2) (or maybe it should be (5)).

Again, tt refers to both but that information will be displayed just the same whether someone takes LRS or not so they won't be paying the LRS payment and line rental together.
So to recap so far we've billed for Line rental saver, router postage and packing and the first month of broadband subscription. One month on from activation they should be billed for the next month of subscription (broadband only) and any excess data or call charges that may be applicable from the usage on their first month.
I hope that clears it up for you.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
snozboz
Rising Star

Hi Adam.
full-LLU or BT
we're not in any doubt that the current service is full LLU so you may want to check with BT as your service may not be with them at present.

This is worrying.  My friends are paying BT for BT Anytime on the phone number I supplied when signing up to Plusnet Home Phone, so how is another provider (full-LLU) involved?!

I spent half an hour on the phone with BT on Saturday, bashing my head against the brick wall that is BT call centres as you suggested.  Cry  They kept insisting that it was a BT line, with the Anytime call package supplied by BT, and that it couldn't be anything else as all the customer details and the account number matched up.  I then rang Plusnet and was told that it was a BT line, and BT were the current provider, and the transfer was going ahead without a problem - they couldn't understand why you had said otherwise.  Crazy  Perhaps you and JoJo failed to take note of the account username this is in regard to, which I put in my original post in this thread?  If so, I hope you haven't initiated phone service transfer from a different account that I have communicated with you about!  Wink
Phone activation timescale - told different things
They also said that the quoted 2 to 3 weeks on the current portal home page for phone activation is correct for a transfer from BT (as well as for a transfer from a full-LLU provider), so JoJo was wrong to say:
As for the discrepancy with the lead time, from what you say it looks like the initial response was borne out of a presumption that the line was on the BT network, when in fact the previous provider was a full LLU provider

It would be 2 to 3 weeks, regardless of whether it was a transfer from a LLU provider or straight from BT.  And my original phone contact at Plusnet CSC was wrong to quote 7 to 9 days for phone activation as well.
Your responses, with my corrections as strikethroughs and bolds
With regards to payments there's only been one single invoice for an initial payment which refers to the first month of subscription for broadband, plus the discount for the first 12 months, the activation fee the line rental saver and postage and packing for your friend's hardware

I see you get this right later on, in the recap at the bottom...
So to recap so far we've billed for Line rental saver, router postage and packing and the first month of broadband subscription. One month on from activation of broadband, presumably, they should be billed for the next month of subscription (broadband only) and any excess data or call charges that may be applicable from the usage on their first month.

But the phone won't be active till 2 to 3 weeks after broadband activation, so when you say "their first month" in regard to call charges, do you mean the 1 or 2 weeks from when the phone service is active till the end of your "30-day billing month starting from broadband activation"?
Am I right in thinking that your "30-day billing month" does start from broadband activation?
Even for charges relating to the phone service?
Even for Line Rental Saver, meaning one is paying for phone service without receiving any? 
And what do you mean by "usually means 30 days" - as in the 30-day billing month? Do you mean calendar month - September, April, June, and November have 31 days, and February has 28 or 29, but the rest have 30 - so the numerical date is always the same for billing?  If so, is there an exception on weekends and bank holidays, and if so, what is it?
Conclusion
So, all in all, every Plusnet person and every Plusnet webpage has either got something wrong or isn't as clear as they should be.  Would you like me to point all these mistakes out?  Undecided
I would still like clarification on all these points please, ideally in the form of a list of dates and events and charges.  Thank you.  Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I thought I'd already done what I can to clarify things to be honest. Happy to give you a list of dates and charges, literally the only thing I mentioned which isn't right is the mention of an activation fee (I meant to say initial fee) However I can't do that on here because it relates to another person's account which is why I've not been able to go into specific details.
If you can raise a ticket from the account in question and reply back here I'll make sure we give you what your asking for.
But the phone won't be active till 2 to 3 weeks after broadband activation, so when you say "their first month" in regard to call charges, do you mean the 1 or 2 weeks from when the phone service is active till the end of your "30-day billing month starting from broadband activation"?

The two billing dates are alligned so you'd only pay for a part month
Am I right in thinking that your "30-day billing month" does start from broadband activation?

Correct
Even for charges relating to the phone service?

Can you clarify that question please?
Even for Line Rental Saver, meaning one is paying for phone service without receiving any? 

Yes, however as mentioned the billing dates are aligned when the phone service is activated to take that into account.
As for 30 days, it means 30 days 24 hours x 30, literally Smiley
As mentioned, drop us a ticket on the right account stating exactly what you're after and I'll make sure you get a correct reply.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team