cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for basic usage allowances to be increased?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Time for basic usage allowances to be increased?

I agree with you, it is too easy with all the bloat around. There may be an odd legacy package around that people still use that may have less than 10Gb usage.
dfunked
Grafter

I remember the good old days on windows 3.1 and Dos 6.22 where you could format your computer and reinstall everything 3 or 4 times within the afternoon.

I reinstalled and fully updated Windows 7 during an episode of come dine with me last night... It's really not that time consuming if you've got a copy with SP1 integrated and have all of your drivers downloaded and ready to rock...
Can't imagine doing that with a 10GB limit though, and even with a 60GB limit the usage was pretty excessive!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you all stopped posting on here how much webpages are taking to load, then that must save a few kb Tongue
Typical problem which has happened throughout the years where new services are launched (be it TV on demand, films on demand, Sky Anytime, HD, etc.) where average usage will increase. It's a shame with PlusNet as if I were back with them (as my main connection) I'd either have to become nocturnal, or limit myself to the occasional browsing or e-mail. There are competitors where I don't have to do this, so no prizes for guessing where I am now.
PlusNet will keep repeating the old 'it isn't sustainable' in regard to increasing allowances, but when competitors manage it, PlusNet used to do it, and currently do it via John Lewis makes me question the integrity of such statements.
A few years ago if you said 120Gb was not enough, many people (including myself) would have thought you were some mad power user. Not the case anymore.
Oh well, my Fibre date has been pushed back from June to December 2012 Sad
Maybe the mysterious product refresh will make an appearance by then.
Personally I wouldn't touch a 120Gb cap with a bargepole, when alternatives exist mean I don't have to.
Even though at the moment, I reckon my usage would be around the 10-20Gb mark.
PembsPanther
Grafter

Now then! What is all this talk of Plusnet providing John Lewis's services and an unlimited option for £18 at that! Just had a look and there is no obvious dodgy fair use policy either, from the site:
"Unlimited usage
Simply put, there are no restrictions on how much you can download, allowing you to enjoy all the internet has to offer. Download as much or as little as you like, whenever you like."
I would like someone from PN to comment on this please.............
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There isn't much else we can say that we haven't already mentioned in previous threads about John Lewis.
We're working with them to provide a broadband service and the products were designed with John Lewis customers (not Plusnet customers) in mind.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If John Lewis customers start downloading 100's GB and you have to increase capacity to cope is it JL that take the financial hit (or have to change the product specification to include a FUP or similar).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PembsPanther
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
There isn't much else we can say that we haven't already mentioned in previous threads about John Lewis.
We're working with them to provide a broadband service and the products were designed with John Lewis customers (not Plusnet customers) in mind.

Thanks for the reply Chris I really appreciate that Wink
Not sure what I make of the answer though, struggling a bit to understand what the difference between a John Lewis customer and a Plusnet customer actually is? I am a brand new customer to Plusnet the lack of an unlimited plan has been my biggest issue since first starting to research Plusnet some months ago, I completely missed that you provided the John Lewis service otherwise I would have joined through them, how would that have made me different though? Why would I be able to opt for an unlimited plan at a very competitive rate through an "agent" yet not through the source themself?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think jelv's answer gives something of a clue.
x47c
Grafter

Or to explain it more plainly........
It's called Channel Marketing. You offer essentially the same product with a few minor tweaks at the edges to differing sections of the population.
The 'tweaks' will be designed to appeal to the particular sector you are aiming at in some way.
It helps if the two sectors do not intermingle to confuse the issue and get to hear of the other offer - which was never really a problem prior to the internet!
This is how business works. 
A seller of a product may have a website as well as an ebay shop and the same product will be sold at different prices in either outlet.
A plumber will charge a different price for mending something in a rich neighbourhood then he will in a poor one.
A supplier of carrots to both Tesco and Waitrose will see his product being sold at different prices in each shop, the only actual difference will be the packaging.
Likewise I charge what the market will bear - which will have little connection to how much it actually cost me to do the job.
PN is a supplier of BB and re-sells it though different channels, one of them being under its own name.
So, a typical John Lewis customer is not the sort of person who will be spending hours of their time on the web, nor will they be downloading endless films.
They have things to do, families to sort out, business to run, flights to catch, holiday homes in France to visit, expensive wines to buy, cruises to go on....................
So PN can safetly offer them unlimited internet usage in the sure knowlege that their customers as a group will never actually use up much "usage" and they both PN and JL customers don't really have to bother about it.
Again this is all part of business - you offer something that appears to be a benefit, but in reality hope that not everyone actually takes you up on the offer, and only those few awkward individuals who do take up all the benefits actually do as a whole benefit from the product.  Typical examples of this are paid for bank current accounts which give you benefits such as 'free' annual travel insurance etc where unless you travel on endless holidays is not worth it.
There are famous stories told in business schools of where such things went wrong, the offer was misjudged by the company, 100% of the customers took it up and the firm concerned nearly went bankrupt over it.
Now if PN find that PN customers are migrating over to JL and are prepared to put up with the hassle of doing so, and if these migrators start to use lots of usage to the detriment of everyone else, then they will find that PN will introduce a fair usage policy on unlimited BB from JL.
At this point there will be howls of outrage on forums: in reality only a minority of total customers.  The recent migrators will claim foul play by PN and those existing JL customers who were quite happy with their unlimited usage which they didn't really need will be outraged that the minority have spolit it for the rest......as minorities seem regularly do with everything and anything. (Think of speed cameras for an example of something to control the troublesome minority ending up a major hassle for the majority).
Just thought of another difference between a typical PN customer and a JL customer. 
In the event of a BB fault requiring a home visit by a BT engineer a typical PN customer will have to take a day's holiday and wait in.  So it all has to be sorted out in advance to make sure both sides can be available on a particular day.
A typical JL customer/family probably has one person in the family who doesn't work or even if they do then the nanny, cleaner,gardener whatever could easily let the BT man in so scheduling repair visits would be far easier.
Alex
Community Veteran

Quote from: Chris
There isn't much else we can say

Much else? That implies something was said in the first place? And that was?
The best one I remember was something along the lines of "We are selling John Lewis products which have been designed with their user base in mind" (my paraphrasing).
So when you look at it, is slightly better than nothing,
So PlusNet already provide an unlimited package (I assume it can't be too unprofitiable and take too much time to develop as you offer it already).
At least I know how to make a thread fall silent from staff posts Roll_eyes

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You missed out the "... not Plusnet customers in mind" bit. I thought that explained the situation well.
David
Alex
Community Veteran

Yep, quite right.
Surprisngly this thread has fallen slient too Roll_eyes
Like the other one it must have been "missed but not ignored".
The missing and ignoring seems to be quite selective I find.
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Quote from: x47c

....snip....
So, a typical John Lewis customer is not the sort of person who will be spending hours of their time on the web, nor will they be downloading endless films.
They have things to do, families to sort out, business to run, flights to catch, holiday homes in France to visit, expensive wines to buy, cruises to go on....................
So PN can safetly offer them unlimited internet usage in the sure knowlege that their customers as a group will never actually use up much "usage" and they both PN and JL customers don't really have to bother about it.
..snip...
Just thought of another difference between a typical PN customer and a JL customer. 
In the event of a BB fault requiring a home visit by a BT engineer a typical PN customer will have to take a day's holiday and wait in.  So it all has to be sorted out in advance to make sure both sides can be available on a particular day.
A typical JL customer/family probably has one person in the family who doesn't work or even if they do then the nanny, cleaner,gardener whatever could easily let the BT man in so scheduling repair visits would be far easier.

Excellent post x47c but in my experience the major users of broadband allowance will be the teenage offspring of a "John Lewis" couple.
Teenage kids of my friends seem to stream video all  day - Youtube as a video jukebox for example!
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

You can now get PN (oops i mean  JL) unlimited broadband for the equivalent of £9 a month or 20gb for £ 5.50 a month for 12 month, as the first 6 months are free, very tempting. Phone must be taken at £ 13.50 a month .
https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/?WT.mc_id=jlp_001
Regards Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I wonder how many PN customers are watching the BBC's web coverage of the olympics? Not many I'd wager.
I have a 120GB limit on extra fibre and although I watch a bit of the catchup on the BBC site, almost always the next site I visit is to see how much bandwidth I've used and although to date I'm nowhere near my limit I still wish I didn't have to think about it.
I think PN are second to none in service, support and internet options but I think after the 18 months is up I'll be thinking about BT or Sky or even JL now it seems.
I know they send a reminder if you are getting near your limit but automatically charging you (unless you've told them not to) is a bit draconian in this day and age.
I wonder how much revenue is actually generated from people going over the limit?
Gerry.