cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for Plusnet to be honest with their customers

docmikebell

Time for Plusnet to be honest with their customers

I was about to post my sad story of failure to get phone and internet from this "Award-winning" company when I read some of the other posts here. I am one of the lucky ones! I have only been waiting a mere 5 weeks!
What I do notice when I call is the same saga of PlusNet Customer Service repeating the same response sequence every time:
1. Apology
2. Explanation - once you have received a few of these you realize that they are mostly fictitious as they often contradict what has gone before.
3. Blame BT Wholesale / BT Openreach but never explicitly name them (calls may be recorded after all) so they are always referred to as 'our suppliers'
4. Promise prompt personal action, usually within 24 hours. Easy to do because you never speak to the same individual ever again.
5. Put the problem 'on hold' but set a new date about 3 - 4 working days ahead so that you think "Oh well, just another few days then!"
6. Fail to do anything.
To be repeated ......

Come on PlusNet - this is what you should be saying.
"We are sorry but BT are completely overwhelmed with orders from us and all the other ISPs at the moment but we will put you in the queue. Currently it takes x weeks for even the most straightforward orders to be completed." [I don't know what the value of x is but I bet PlusNet's executives do.]
"If you have phone and internet already count yourself lucky and don't consider changing to us until we can promise you a changeover date that we can actually deliver."
If I had received that honest message I would still have phone and ADSL from Eclipse.net. Instead I gave them one month's notice the same day that I placed my order for phone and Fibre Broadband with PlusNet (4th Dec 2015). Now 5 weeks later I have a phone that won't accept incoming calls and no internet, just a succession of broken promises and (to date) six repetitions of the sequence 1 - 6 noted above.
Shame on you PlusNet! Why not try some honesty?
3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Time for Plusnet to be honest with their customers

Hi Docmikebell,
A warm welcome to the forums.  A really positive first post over the issues with providing service.  Indeed such open honesty about things is beneficial in that it clearly manages expectations.
However, not wanting to shoot the messenger, with the same openness you might be a victim of your own actions here...
Quote from: docmikebell
If I had received that honest message I would still have phone and ADSL from Eclipse.net. Instead I gave them one month's notice the same day that I placed my order for phone and Fibre Broadband with PlusNet (4th Dec 2015).

When migrating suppliers, it is essential to leave the whole of the migration process to the acquiring service provider.  At the point you notify your existing service provider that you want to terminate THEIR services, they will place a cease order on the phone line.  If there are any other take-over orders on the line, since they own the line, they can cancel them without reference to anyone.
Once there is a cease order on a line, no other order can be placed on that line until the cease order if fulfilled (on the end of service date) or is cancelled by the current service provider.  In such situations, the acquiring service provider cannot place new orders, until the service is ceased.
I am sure that this is not what you want to hear and (understandably) no service agent is going to suggest to you on the phone that the situation is consequential to your actions - it might be truthful, but its only going to give you a bigger hump!
All that said, in the time after the 4th Jan, there is a multitude of issues which could arise when trying to place the order on the now "free of tie" phone line, any of which could have been honestly advised in the manner you suggest.  I just hope that BTOR has not completely lost your old phone number for you... as its down to their rules that there cannot be more than one order on a line at one given time.
EDIT: Thanks AO, more than one typo there!  Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Townman
....... At the point you notify your existing service provider that you want to terminate THEIR services, they will please a case order on the phone line.........

You mean cease order Wink
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: docmikebell
Come on PlusNet - this is what you should be saying.
"We are sorry but BT are completely overwhelmed with orders from us and all the other ISPs at the moment but we will put you in the queue. Currently it takes x weeks for even the most straightforward orders to be completed." [I don't know what the value of x is but I bet PlusNet's executives do.]
"If you have phone and internet already count yourself lucky and don't consider changing to us until we can promise you a changeover date that we can actually deliver."
Shame on you PlusNet! Why not try some honesty?

If these delays are down to BT Openreach  then this would vary from area to area,and also from one week to the next ,I would suspect that a chunk of these delayed activation/installation dates are down to how some staff at plusnet have actually placed the orders or their ordering system, it would be interesting to know how many orders get thrown back to PN from BT Wholesale
I have only ever had one activation failure back when i was on ADSL2+ and was migrating the bb to BE broadband, the OR engineer  at the exchange  re connected the jumpers at the exchange to the old E'side pair  which was of course not connected any more, so i lost bb and pstn ,And i had to report it as a voice pstn fault to get an engineer out , as the woeful tech support @ BE thought that the circuit was in sync, and wouldn't raise with BTOR  be btw was( LLU SMPF) so they did have access and control of the Dslam