cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ticket handling - updates put ticket to back of queue?

charltjr
Grafter

Ticket handling - updates put ticket to back of queue?

I just chased up an unanswered support ticket by phone to be told the following:
"I see you've put a couple of updates on the ticket, unfortunately that puts the ticket to the back of the queue"
I've been in IT support my entire career and have never heard anything so patently absurd in all that time (that's 15 years, with experience including the design, testing and implementation of a new call logging system!) but I was so astonished I let it pass.
If this is true PN absolutely have to change the way the ticket system works, customer updates to tickets should be treated as updates or escalations as appropriate - never as "reset the clock" events.
Any comments?
Cheers,
John
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Ticket handling - updates put ticket to back of queue?

We have been assured time and time again that this wasn't the case.
However you are going to have to wait for an official response and possibly a bit of agent retraining  Crazy
charltjr
Grafter

Thanks for that, apologies if I'm bringing up something which has been discussed many times before.
I've been with PN for five years and have been very happy with the service I've had so I'm glad to hear that this doesn't seem to be official PN policy.
Obviously it's not great that an agent would say that to a customer if it's not true, but I've lead a support team and know with the best will in the world it's sadly not always possible to control what newbies or people who struggle to cope with the pressure will say to customers.
Will be interesting to see what a PN staffer makes of it if they see the post.
Thanks,
John
itsme
Grafter

You have not been the only one that been informed that an update to a ticket put it to the end of the queue http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,78507.msg635402.html#msg635402 read replies 3, 4 and 5.
charltjr
Grafter

Thanks itsme, I'm trying not to turn this into a rant as I was trying to give feedback on the ticket process but I am becoming extremely frustrated with the ticket system.
My problem is my broadband is completely down, no synch, nothing. I spoke to another agent at about half eleven this morning and was told my issue was still with the fault team and they have found an issue with the line. I asked if it was to do with the LLU on my exchange being changed from Tiscali to BT Wholesale as it seemed suspicious that on the 10th I was notified of a change within a fortnight and lo and behold on the 20th my link completely fails. I was told that "the problem co-incided with the LLU change" and that the agent would talk to the fault team within an hour as he had a number of issues to raise with them.
I said I needed to know what was going on as I am on-call next week and if my broadband wasn't working by Monday I would need to get someone else to cover me and was promised that the ticket would be updated shortly.
Still nothing on the ticket....... Last update was from the automated fault checker at 22:48 on 20/08. If the fault team have updates on the status of my line why haven't they been added to the ticket?
Surely the whole point of having a ticket open on an electronic system is that you don't tie up agents on calls from customers looking for updates and the customer doesn't get upset by being disconnected and generally messed around in a call centre queue - but if the updates don't make it on to the ticket then you may as well not have the ticket system.
Cheers,
John
charltjr
Grafter

LOL well support aren't exactly covering themselves in glory...
Got a phone call at home while I was out yesterday - despite all the contact numbers on the ticket being my mobile number.
Message said it's *not* linked to the LLU change as that was done on the 17th and my link went down on the 20th, despite me being told earlier that it coincided with the change.
Ticket system really doesn't seem to be working at all well for me in this case.
Anyway the issue is now with BT, may god have mercy on my soul.....
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I've just checked the fault on your account and presently BT have been unable to fuind a case for your fault.  As such, I've sent the fault back to them for further diagnostics.
I'd expect them to come back to us within 24 hours asking for engineer appointment times.
Please should up later on this afternoon if you haven't heard back and I'll check the fault again.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

"I see you've put a couple of updates on the ticket, unfortunately that puts the ticket to the back of the queue"

This is not true, I'll take a look at your account and make sure whoever told you this is aware of what actually happens.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
charltjr
Grafter

James, Chris,
Thank you both for your replies. Chris, it's very good to hear that this is not how the ticket system works so thanks for that.
James as you suggested I've had an update on the ticket which now seems to be moving along quite nicely, I am going to borrow a known-good ADSL modem to rule out my router and will also try connecting directly to the test socket before booking a half day off work and risking a charge from BT.
Thanks again,
John
James
Grafter

Hi John,
Your sarcasm has been noted Smiley
Basically, if you've tried using a different router, filters and your internal wiring is sound, you won't get a callout charge.
charltjr
Grafter

Hi James,
No sarcasm intended, honestly! 
I just have a certain amount of experience with BT engineers  Roll_eyes and while some are excellent, helpful and thorough some I have dealt with have decided what the problem is/isn't before even getting to site and *will not budge* even in the face of overwhelming evidence..... In any case if we've got to the point of an engineer visit being required I know I have to rule out all of my own kit so a different ADSL modem it is then!
Anyway, the upshot is that yes it was my kit which was to blame, seems the modem in my faithful Netgear DG834G has had enough and shuffled off this mortal coil.  Cry
Thanks for your help, it really was appreciated and hopefully next time I need to contact PN support things will run smoothly.
I'll update and close the ticket later today (spent FAR too much time on the web this morning already, I'm supposed to be getting ready for work  Cheesy )
Cheers,
John