cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ticket No. 90067524 - what is going on?

Steevo
Grafter

Ticket No. 90067524 - what is going on?

Ticket started on 14th Aug, still not solved.
3 engineer visits, still not solved.
Latest engineer visit - 7 days ago.
Latest reply to ticket...? Almost 10 days ago! Not even updated with the latest engineer visit.
Please Plusnet, get your act together!  Cry
23 REPLIES 23
JTaylor
Grafter

Re: Ticket No. 90067524 - what is going on?

Hi Steevo
Really sorry about these issues you've faced. Seems you've had a rough time of it.
I've compiled all the relevant connection information from tests on your line and sent it back to faults to investigate.
I'm reluctant to book an engineer myself because of the visits you have had so would like Faults to look it over and they will contact you asap.
I really appreciate your patience.
Steevo
Grafter

Hi Jack,
Thanks for your help, I appreciate you trying to understand the issue. I did try calling in yesterday to request an update but that did not appear to move things along greatly.
The main troubles I am experiencing are:
1. Connection drops/slows when phone calls are received. In particular, long calls appear worse than short calls - on a copy of occasions PlusNet phoned and left a message and these caused complete router connection drops.  I'm doubtful if this happens when calls are made but I am unsure as very few are made on this line. What is clear however is that the upstream SNR margin takes a complete nosedive when calls are answered. I am unsure whether the 14db this appears set to is correct, or is increased as a result of these regular drops.
2. The FTR/MSR rates calculated for my line are (i am told) completely impossible to receive, which I believe given it is a long line. That said, despite a number of line resets they are the same figures as shown in a ticket from back in February.
3. Downstream SNR margin is normally set at 9db rather than the usual 6db. I am told this is as a result of my long line, however given the FTR/MSR figures appear fixed it (and I wonder how far back they go) whether the SNR margin is the fixed for no specific reason the same. Furthermore, the SNR itself is almost 10db higher than it was in the same figures mentioned above in February.
Unfortunately when it takes 7 days or so to get a reply from the faults team it's rather hard to flag these issues up specifically as each new person that views the ticket has so much information to take in and often gives the same generic answers as the previous person without understanding the matter fully.
I appreciate you updating the ticket with the relevant test results. I note that the drops seen on the Visual Radius chart coincide exactly with the upstream SNRM drops seen. To clarify, these drops are at the exact timng of phone calls. Please feel free to call the line yourself at a specific time if needed to illustrate this.
Thank you once again for your help.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Steevo,
There's a test you could do if you haven't already: unplug the telephone(s) (including any in extensions) and then call your number using a mobile. You'll hear the ringing tone. Does that cause the noise margin to drop?
Could you post your full router stats please. If you are using a Plusnet supplied TG582 they are at http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Steevo
Grafter

Hi Jelv,
Thanks for your message. I did as you suggested and rang the line without the phone connected (just the router). This caused a dip to 3db as shown in attached screenshot. Stats also attached as requested.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Well that gives the engineer something very concrete to look at. Have you tried with a different filter?
I've seen similar symptoms with a duff line card in the exchange. I suspect Plusnet's next move will be to request a lift & shift.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That mirrors exactly my problem
Often the line would resync with an upstream speed as low as 128kbps
In my case changing the line card didn't fix it
After several BT engineer visits I got a really conscientious one who checked the lines from the cab to the exchange (they were all fairly bad) and moved me to the one which gave the best upstream error results when ringing
The line has been stable ever since but unfortunately I lost about 1Mb in downstream speed (4,800 to about 3,7776kbps) which I can live with as streaming iPlayer still works finew
Steevo
Grafter

Thanks. Trouble is all they seem to want to do is plug in the JDSU, test the line. I mentioned calling the line last time the engineer was here but he reckoned he had found a fault 200m away so got a hoist here and climbed the DP where he thinks he found a dodgy connection. Only trouble is....nothing changed!
Lift and shift?! You mean another engineer visit and a line card swap? According to the engineer my line quality is very good which is encouraging. Only trouble is that apparently the DP has 15 connections, all of which are full so it doesn't seem like anything there can be rejigged.
Is this a broadband fault I am experiencing...or a telephone fault?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Lift & shift is connecting your line to a different card inside the exchange which should be able to be done without needing you to be at home.
Steevo
Grafter

Thank you, that's most helpful.
If PlusNet actually replied to the ticket that would be a good start to moving things forward. Kindly Jack T has given it a nudge (as Alastair C did yesterday) which is brilliant, but unfortunately nobody seems to be picking up the baton on the other end.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi. hang in there. I'm certain our faults guys will be picking that up and replying soon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Steevo
Grafter

Thanks for your reply Adam. I'm afraid I have little choice to do as you suggest, however I think 8 days without a reply is rather taking the mick.
As with all issues in life, the initial problem itself matters very little because we accept problems occur with everything. That said, it is the way in which it is handled that the customer remembers.
Steevo
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Hi. hang in there. I'm certain our faults guys will be picking that up and replying soon.

Roll_eyes apparently not! Just spoke to CS to be told that there isn't even a fault logged any longer "just a series of questions back and forth". Had I not tried YET AGAIN to spend my time calling in to chase this up again nothing would have happened.
PN have another thing coming if they think i'm going to renew next time around at this rate.....
EDIT: Guess what CS did in response....start another ticket! Is it any wonder the system is overloaded with tickets and is thus creaking at the seams?  Undecided
Steevo
Grafter

Please will somebody from PlusNet take ownership of this problem and ensure that it is finally sorted once and for all.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Steevo.
Sorry I think we're at a misunderstanding. No one has replied further to the fault ticket yet since Jack did (before I replied earlier today).
Whilst I don't wish to show that we're giving any undue priority I'll do my best to get our faults team to reply either today or tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team