cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is the last straw for me

JoeB
Dabbler

Re: This is the last straw for me

Even worse today, and it's 12.16pm, not exactly peak time.
It's totally useless.
zubel
Community Veteran

Reading back through the thread, it seems that you've complained, but not actually let anyone go through troubleshooting steps with you.
Speeds that low will be beneath your Fault Threshold Rate, and as such will be able to be raised to BT to investigate.  However, certain steps need to be taken first.
Of course, if your exchange is red then that may be causing the problem (you haven't indicated whether you have checked)
So, you can either accept some troubleshooting steps, and potentially solve the issue or you can migrate out with your MAC and potentially find out that it is an exchange issue or a fault, and be stuck with exactly the same issue at your new ISP.
B.
JoeB
Dabbler

Hi Barry, thanks for the response.
I have been through troubleshooting steps many times as laid out on PN's help pages and on this forum.  I am not a PC novice and also have have a family member who works in 2nd line support dealing with broadband support, who has also helped me with various tests.
Just reading this forum is enough to tell me that PN has problems, they have even apologised for the issues, which suggests to me that it's their fault and nothing to do with my equipment or the exchange.  And yes, I always check the exchange when I get poor speeds.
http://www.plus.net/support/network_update.shtml ; -  Apologies are all well and good, but I would much rather have the service I am paying for.
My equipment/set up doesn't change ever, so either it's faulty at certain times of day, or PN's bandwidth is poor.  It's either faulty or it's not, and it's not.
Add this together with the stupid bandwidth shaping, and given that I can get a far superior and suitable product for less than half of what I pay now, then I see no reason to stay with PN any longer.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

From all the information I've seen it looks like it's a BT issue , not a Plusnet problem.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JoeB,
I'd suggest raising a fault in the first instance - please do give us a chance to investigate the issue before you request the MAC. It might also be worth looking at the newer products as you're still on the legacy broadband plus - you might find things better on the value account and you'd be saving money too.
Having said that, you're on a market 3 exchange so could get premium for only a pound more a month than you're currently paying. If you'd like to try it for a month I'd be happy to arrange that for you - if you don't like it you can move back to your current product, there'd be no issues with that.
JoeB
Dabbler

Thanks Matt.
To be honest I am not prepared to go through all the hassle.  I've done it twice before, once PN blamed BT, the 2nd time it took 2 days to reply that the speed issue was because I was over my peak download limit, so I see little point as I have no faith in your ability to resolve my issue.  Other posters in the forums seem to feel the same.  I realise that many people have positive experiences with you but I really don't see how you can fix my issue when it only happens at certain times and you've already admitted that many users are experiencing unacceptable speeds.
I've looked at all your other products, and the value option is no good at all with it's paltry download limit, and the premium is more expensive for me.
I am moving as soon as is practical to an ISP that can offer me 8mb with no stupid bandwith restrictions, no download limits and for less than half the amount I am paying now.
I have been a loyal customer for a number of years, but it's time to move on to an ISP that can deliver.
gswindale
Grafter

I'd be interested to see that ISP.
the 2nd time it took 2 days to reply that the speed issue was because I was over my peak download limit,

Does make me wonder if you're going over your usage allowance frequently - are you wireless and is it secure?
JoeB
Dabbler

Geoff - I went over the usage limit just the one time, and I hadn't realised.  It was to do with iPlayer and kontiki stealing all my bandwidth.
Every time I get slow downs the first thing I do is check my usage, and it's always well under what I'm allowed.  Yes I'm wireless, and yes it's secured with WPA-TSK.
I accept that I can go over my usage limit without realising, but what I can't accept is that PN take 2 days to notice this after doing other fault testing first.  It was my mistake, but surely it should have been flagged as the cause as soon as I raised the ticket.
And the ISP I refer to is 02.
tobykim
Grafter

I hope it's the LLU option you're going for
JoeB
Dabbler

Yes it's LLU, it's not something I am jumping into blindly.
JoeB
Dabbler

It is now over the five working days since I requested a MAC key, and it has not been received.  I remember when plusnet were good  Angry
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JoeB,
I've got someone looking at this for you now, I'm sorry for the delay. This should be added to the ticket shortly.
JoeB
Dabbler

Thanks Matt.
It speaks volumes that the only way to get a result is to come on here and complain.  I replied to my ticket asking about the delay and nothing happened till I mentioned it on here and you gave them a push.
Incidentally my speed tonight is showing on speedtest.net as 0.12 MB.
JoeB
Dabbler

It's been like this every evening for the last 4 days now.  Seriously can't wait to leave now, it's pathetic.