cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of moving to Plusnet? Think again

eightyfourb
Dabbler

Thinking of moving to Plusnet? Think again

We've been Plusnet customers for a couple of years now and to be honest I never had complaints until now.
Back in the day I really believed that Plusnet were one of the best but no more.
We recently moved to the Plusnet Pro package because we need that sort of internet service as we do work from home.
Recently we've been hit with traffic shaping so extreme its virtually impossible to do simple things like watch a youtube video.
The funny thing is that the speeds always decrease around the same time every day; 4:30ish and then go back to normal around midnight. 
Yes I've raised a fault ticket and I even called the tech support who were essentially useless in this matter.  Clearly they went to the read from a script school of tech support.
Not only am I upset that a once great ISP has fallen into the we're to big now to be of any good category I feel we were blatantly lied to when we were sold the Pro service and we're being lied to now.  They know whats going on but don't want to admit it.
I have no hope that this problem will be fixed anytime soon.  I think we're stuck with a contract but have no qualms about breaking it if we get traffic shaping since that is contrary to the product we actually purchased.
Judging by the threads on third party forums there are clearly worse ISPs than Plusnet but my experience indicates it's time to move on.
They can't cope with their size anymore it seems.  What made them great before was the great support and personal attention.  Now you're just another person.
Eddie
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: Thinking of moving to Plusnet? Think again

Hi Eddie,
I'd let the team on here have a look into your problems and see what they can do to help you - I wouldn't let one poor experience cloud your vision of a service that you've enjoyed up until this point.
Given that you've moved onto the Pro package, that should actually mean that you shouldn't be seeing a slow down on your speeds unless it were being caused by something at your exchange - because the Plusnet service should be optimising your traffic at all times.
I'm sure someone in the Digital Care team will see your post (although I don't think testimonials is actually the right place for it...) and then they can check to see that your account is on the right profile and help you run some checks of your own.  I wouldn't give up on them quite just yet Smiley
eightyfourb
Dabbler

Thanks for the positive comments.
There's a thread that I started regarding this already so it's known.
It just doesn't make much sense that this is happening and they see nothing wrong (I was told that when I called).  if BT is doing this then why don't Plusnet know about it especially since BT owns Plusnet don't they?
I've been told by the tech support (an oxymoron is I ever heard one) that it would take up to three days for Plusnet to find out what's wrong so I just have to wait I suppose.
The problem I have is that when I explain the problem to tech support they seem clueless - this never would have happened when we first joined Plusnet - and all we got were scripted answers and a nothing we can do but I'm trying my hardest to pretend I care even though I clearly sound like I don't type of attitude.
I suppose it's no surprise.  Actually when I heard about Plusnet being purchased I thought to myself well there goes a good service provider!  It's inevitable.
Anyway, on the subject of tech support is there anyway to get through to an english speaking tech support line?  I hate those based in who knows where type of support lines.  I'd even pay more if I got to speak to someone in the UK.
Eddie
James
Grafter

The thing with BT ownership is that Plusnet are owned by the retail arm of BT and it's Openreach and Wholesale who sort out the broadband faults and by law, no division of BT is allowed to be given preferential treatment over that of which other ISPs would receive.
Plusnet have staff in Sheffield and Durban, South Africa.  I think there's well over 100 members of staff in the call centre in Sheffield these days, but I've been a bit out of touch so I'm not really sure Smiley  I guess it just boils down to where the call is actually routed at that time.
The three days point isn't a fob off - it could be related to what is called your IP Profile, sort of like a speed cap on your broadband speed to ensure that the connection remains stable, which is reviewed every three days.  I'm afraid that I don't know the actual history f your problems, but I'd assume that the traffic management profile on your line has been double checked just to make sure that you really are on a "Pro" profile.  Moving to Pro should actually make things better rather than the other way around.
I think it's been a good three years since the BT purchase of Plusnet actually happened (although I might be wrong there).
I'd bear with it and see if someone is able to pick up your thread on Monday when the Comms Digital Care guys are back in.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and for eightyfourb,  if you doubt what James is Saying, He has an exempliary record and does know exactly what he is talking about
pierre_pierre
Grafter

eightyfourb
Dabbler

Thanks for the link Pierre.  I don't doubt that what James is saying to be honest - I have no reason too.
The problem I have is that Plusnet used to be good and now it's not.  What adds to all of this is the fact that my fault seems to appear at 430ish every day and disappear by the morning.  Even if we weren't on the Pro we shouldn't be seeing speeds like this:
Date          Download Speed  Upload Speed 
Today 17:54 70 kbps (8.75kB/s) 66 kbps (8.25kB/s)
Clearly something dodgy is going on and I'm not really pleased at all to say the least.  I can't see how this is happening without Plusnet knowing about it.  Just sound weird is all.
Eddie
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Are you still having problems? Everything seems fine on your account, and you've certainly been on the correct service offer since yesterday (your most recent billing event). That indicates that it's not a problem with traffic management.
There also don't appear to be widespread issues at the exchange, so if you're still having problems give me a shout and I'll get one of our faults guru's to take a good look at this.
eightyfourb
Dabbler

Quote from: Mand
Hi there,
Are you still having problems? Everything seems fine on your account, and you've certainly been on the correct service offer since yesterday (your most recent billing event). That indicates that it's not a problem with traffic management.
There also don't appear to be widespread issues at the exchange, so if you're still having problems give me a shout and I'll get one of our faults guru's to take a good look at this.

Hi
Thanks for the response.  As of yesterday there was still a problem.  I won't know for sure until 4pm today.  The speed restrictions usually occur from them onwards.
Last night around 230 am our connection went completely dead so I called the support line.  I was told that in the previous week our exchange did experience problems and perhaps that is why there were speed restrictions placed on the line from 4pm onwards (which is when peak time occurs).

Anyway I'll run a speed test later today and see what happens.
Eddie
eightyfourb
Dabbler

Well new day and still we have problem and even worse I have no idea how long it will take BT to fix this problem.  (assuming its a BT issue)
Here are the speed test results for today and yesterday.  The problem isn't as bad but still not good considering...
Today 21:12          671 kbps (83.9kB/s)  136 kbps (17kB/s) 
Today 19:00         2002 kbps (250kB/s) 374 kbps (46.8kB/s) 
Today 02:51         14801 kbps (1.85MB/s) 377 kbps (47.1kB/s) 
Yesterday 21:54 4571 kbps (571kB/s) 369 kbps (46.1kB/s) 
Yesterday 20:56 98 kbps (12.3kB/s)    56 kbps (7kB/s) 
Yesterday 16:17 98 kbps (12.3kB/s)         67 kbps (8.38kB/s)
Yesterday 15:37 5002 kbps (625kB/s) 324 kbps (40.5kB/s)
Yesterday 04:58 14908 kbps (1.86MB/s) 376 kbps (47kB/s)
Eddie
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
I've got one of our faults guys looking at this for you now.
Mand
Grafter

It looks like an exchange problem, we're contacting BT to check the status of the virtual paths at your exchange.