cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of leaving

millsdon
Grafter

Thinking of leaving

I'm currently thinking of leaving plusnet which is down to my yearly review of who I'm with (which I do for everything eg car insurance etc)
I'm fairly impressed with plusnet and would stay if they offered more or had something concrete in the pipeline.
I'm on fibre unlimited and have been since the day it started in my area and it's been rock solid.
So what do I want?
Firstly, I was on the pro addon which I eventually got rid of because it really didn't offer that much more for the percentage price increase that it had with it.
Secondly, I'm desperate for a block of static ip's which I'm told I can't have. I waited and waited for the ipv6 to come but that trial was cancelled with empty promises of "it will be soon" in that forum.
Ultimately for me, it's down to no traffic shaping and a block of ip's which I don't mind spending that extra £5 a month to have but doesn't appear to be on offer.
So I'm now looking at Zen Internet and giving it serious thought. I don't want to go but plusnet just doesn't appear to fit my needs anymore.
For bog standard internet and the average user, I'd still recommend plusnet though!
6 REPLIES 6
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Thinking of leaving

Hi
Zen don't have any support for IPv6 either.  Also, last time I asked them for a block of 8 IP Addresses (about 18 months ago now), they initially refused the request and it took some pursuading to get them.
How many IP's are you after?  Could one of the Business packages work for you?
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

millsdon
Grafter

Another 2 ip's. I'm running webservers with https so the headers can't be read and I need them on 443.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi,
I've read that if you can justify your needs, blocks of IP addresses are available on some account types.  See here - http://usertools.plus.net/ripe/ - though rather old, but you could just try poking it.
I know I've read recently (forum search is not overly helpful!) that if needs cannot be fulfilled through NAT or port mapping methods additional IPs are available.  It might just be a matter of asking he right person.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why don't you go to an ISP that offers IPv6?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
millsdon
Grafter

Well..... I've now gone for the move to Zen so hopefully everything goes ok.
This is by no means any disappointment with Plusnet and I would certainly consider coming back.
In fact, Plusnet would probably be the first place I would look in the future if this was the case.
I'm a fidgety type of person and like change which prompted my move to Zen and I'll review Zen when I'm out of contract with them.
So, on a final note.....
Thank you Plusnet. You are good and I'd certainly recommend you to all of my friends & colleagues.Might see you next year?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Damn.  You just missed:  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,121170.0.html
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager