cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There must be something better than this ...

irritablegit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: There must be something better than this ...

@oldjim
There probably is a little noise on the broadband socket compared to the test socket.  I have been through unplugging and the various connections (and there are several).  Did it make any difference to the line noise .... possibly, difficult to say for sure as it was not that loud anyway.
However, today is another day.  Obvious as it might seem, the point is that my bb speed for the past month, although appalling most days, it was not all day every day.  Worse during office hours probably .... but thereagain sometimed in the evening too.
It might have been a good idea if I had done a speed test before re-plugging the connections, but this morning the download speed has improved by a multiple of 8
http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
DL UL
1808 335
1808 359
1816 358
BUT the upload speed has dropped !

Router statistics
                  DownStr DownStr UpStream UpStream
                Connection Line Noise Line Noise
Date          Speed Attenuation Margin Attenuation Margin
02 05 10 3520 44 9 12 23
03 05 10 3264 43 8 12 23
Today's router statistics show noise is down slightly, but that surely cannot account for the download speed increase. 
And why would upload speed have dropped ?Huh
And what does all this mean when looking at my previous postings which show that I can only ever get a basic broadband service ........
Any suggestions gratefully received
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you checked the router stats when connected to the test socket
irritablegit
Rising Star

@oldjim
No, I haven,t tried the router at the test socket.  I haven't got an ethernet cable long enough and I would rather not unplug the router from its current location.
I might try a spare router in there when I get a chance.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you want to raise a fault the first thing you need to do is try the test socket otherwise it could be your internal wiring causing the trouble and then you would be stuck with the BT charge (£130 I think)
Anonymous
Not applicable

From the BT website -
Do I have to pay for an engineer visit?
For most engineer visits, there is no charge. The call out charge does not apply if the engineer is already visiting the premises to carry out other work. However, there may be a charge if it's something you can fix yourself. So please check your own connections and equipment carefully before arranging a visit by an engineer. When charges do apply, they are: £149 plus VAT call-out charge and the 1st hour of work, then £85 an hour plus VAT for additional/part hours.
irritablegit
Rising Star

@oldjim
OK - I have just gathered the router stats at the Master TEST socket, Master FRONT socket, and my usual socket (an extention installed when house built - wires in wall / ceiling).
The results are attached.  The noise is the same on all sockets (12db).  The only big difference was the connection speed on the TEST socket - much faster.
A bit of history - we have been in the house since it was built.  The master socket and extensions came built in.  In the early days a BT man visited as we struggled with the dial-up line.  He did not like the way the master was wired and changed it (he said it was not done by a BT-trained person ...).  Before he left, he said there was a bit of noise on the line and gave me a filter to put at the front of the phone wire.  That filter has been there for 8 years - until last week when I was unplugging / re-plugging and decided it was not helping.  (If it means anything, the id nos on the filter are LJIO/14A    PRL  I7    98).
Perhaps I should report it to BT - what do you think ?
irritablegit
Rising Star

Those figures I posted this morning were the readings this morning (Sunday) at around 8am. 

In recent days my internet connection has been dropping and I have had to re-boot the router.  (This is something I have rarely had to do in the past).
It is now Sunday at 10:30pm and I have had to re-boot the router for the second time today.
The downstream connection speed is now down to 2976 kbps, Line Attenuation 42db and Noise Margin has settled down to 6db.  This is at my usual extention socket. (This morning it was 12db)
What on earth can be causing these fluctuations and the line dropping ?  The router is re-displaying figures every 5 seconds.  10 minutes ago, the Noise Margin was displaying as about a 10digit number !
If anyone has any ideas on this I would be pleased to hear. 
Mand
Grafter

I see your picture, and raise you a picture of your connection logs for the last week or so. Smiley
It's not as bad as I thought it'd be reading this thread, and I'm sure it's something we can sort.
Are you still connected to the test socket? If not can you be?
Can you reboot the router and let us know the stats again (you should get a better connection speed in the morning than in the evening).
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: irritablegit
@oldjim
OK - I have just gathered the router stats at the Master TEST socket, Master FRONT socket, and my usual socket (an extention installed when house built - wires in wall / ceiling).
The results are attached.  The noise is the same on all sockets (12db).  The only big difference was the connection speed on the TEST socket - much faster.
A bit of history - we have been in the house since it was built.  The master socket and extensions came built in.  In the early days a BT man visited as we struggled with the dial-up line.  He did not like the way the master was wired and changed it (he said it was not done by a BT-trained person ...).  Before he left, he said there was a bit of noise on the line and gave me a filter to put at the front of the phone wire.  That filter has been there for 8 years - until last week when I was unplugging / re-plugging and decided it was not helping.  (If it means anything, the id nos on the filter are LJIO/14A    PRL  I7    98).
Perhaps I should report it to BT - what do you think ?
I have just seen this reply.
Your internal wiring is causing major problems and will need to be sorted out
Can you post a picture of the inside of the removable lower faceplate showing the connections
irritablegit
Rising Star

@Mand
I am not on the test socket and I probably will not have time today to get a reading from there.  However, the reading from my usual extension socket a few minutes ago is attached.
Noise Margin is now 13db
Did you want a reading at a particular time of the day ?
Mand
Grafter

Those connection stats are from the same as from the resync last night though right? You can see the reconnect on my image just after 11pm.
Ideally, I'd like to see stats in the test socket after connecting there sometime during the morning (as this is when you'll get the best conditions). I'd expect a speed increase, and some nicer stats all round.
irritablegit
Rising Star

@oldjim
Photo attached.   Left to right, colours are white with blue, white with brown, brown, blue.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There should only be two attached - to connections 2 and 5
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
irritablegit
Rising Star

@oldjim
Interesting ..... presumably lots of houses still have the 4 wires attached ...... does it only cause a problem sometimes ?
Is this my side rather than BT's side ?  I wouldn't want to upset those awfully nice BT people .......  Wink
Presumably the extension sockets would need all need to be "adjusted" to match ?

@MAND
I will see about some new stats after I have re-wired the house  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Everything after the fixed part of the master socket is yours.
It's not really necessary to disconnect the wires from the other sockets but sometimes it can help.
See what the effect is of only removing them on the master socket and plugging the router into it