cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There must be something better than this ...

irritablegit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There must be something better than this ...

My Plusnet deal is PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 3 (Monthly Contract)  £19.99
There might be 3 or 4 PCs online but we do not do anything special.  Usage has been as follows:
Billing Period Total usage
26 Mar - 26 Apr  22.71GB
26 Feb - 26 Mar  20.31GB
26 Jan - 26 Feb  20.43GB
I have been with Plusnet for years and have not gone for a cheaper option so that we always have good speed.
However, the speed has never really been as fast as I would like, but for weeks it has been appalling.
I have just done 3 tests and the average upload is 250kbps:  download 372kbps (actually, one was 267).
This is simply hopeless.  I have just filled in the Broadband Fault Checker, but while I am waiting for Plusnet to come back to me (as I am not optimistic)
a) should there be a better deal for me than the one I am on from Plusnet (in case they find a solution)
b) can anyone recommend another broadband supplier  Huh
39 REPLIES 39
Apprentice
Grafter

Re: There must be something better than this ...

Check and see what is available from your exchange if you know what it is called.
irritablegit
Rising Star

I was just looking at alternative Plusnet products, clicked something and this popped up
"Why is this speed estimate lower?
Your telephone exchange has been upgraded to use the latest generation of broadband, called ADSL2+. This offers an 'up to' 20Mb service.
To take advantage of ADSL2+ speeds, you'll need to choose either Plusnet Pro or Plusnet Premium.
All our Value accounts use MaxDSL, which offers speeds of 'up to' 8Mb."
There is no opint in having up to 20, when I am currently on up to 8 ........ but get nothing like that !
How do I know that ADSL2+ will be any better for me at all ?Huh
irritablegit
Rising Star

On my Plusnet account a window reads:
"Line checker results
Phone Exchange: BROMSGROVE Estimated maximum speed:up to 0.5Mb "
It might seem like a silly question, but does this mean I can never get 20, or even 8, but rather I can only ever get ½Mb ?????    ½Mb MAXIMUM that is !
Why do we not pay for the speed we actually receive rather than some theoretical limit ?  I suspect that would result in speeds picking up pretty rapidly !
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: irritablegit
I was just looking at alternative Plusnet products, clicked something and this popped up
"Why is this speed estimate lower?
Your telephone exchange has been upgraded to use the latest generation of broadband, called ADSL2+. This offers an 'up to' 20Mb service.

That explanation for 'why is this speed lower?' is a load of nonsense. Plusnet have a task in hand to sort out that message. This message can also appear when your exchange has *not* been upgraded (as applies in my case).
However the Bromsgrove exchange has been upgraded according to the BT Wholesale list reproduced in the 21cn exchange availability blog.
There is no point in having up to 20, when I am currently on up to 8 ........ but get nothing like that !
How do I know that ADSL2+ will be any better for me at all ?Huh

What does the complete narrative shown by the BT ADSL checker say? However with an experience described as "currently on up to 8 ........ but get nothing like that" I suspect you would gain little if anything from ADSL2+.
With regards to your speed problem have you done a test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ to verify your IP profile, and is the same value reproduced as 'current line speed' in the Member Centre?
Also what are your router stats (sync speeds, attenuations and noise margins)? These help determine what you should expect from your line.
David
irritablegit
Rising Star

Result from the From BT ADSL checker
"Exchange BROMSGROVE
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive fixed 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL Max broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.
Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL2+ broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service."

Well, no wonder people are confused.  So, I can't get 20, nor 8 but only a maximum of ½Mb.  Then I can't get 512 or 256Kbps. 
So ADSL2+ might not work either, but apparently I can get a basic service of some sort ....  Perhaps that describes what I am getting right now..
Anyone would think I lived in the wilderness .... it is Bromsgrove.  Google Maps tells me from the exchange to my place is 1.5 miles - that's driving.  I wonder what proportion of people live less than 1.5 miles from their exchange ?Huh
I did have a go at the BT Speedtester and it gave me a figure of download speed 198.  It then asked me to change the username and password in my router so it could try something else, but I have not got time for that now ...
Apprentice
Grafter

My Plusnet deal is PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 3 (Monthly Contract)  £19.99
There might be 3 or 4 PCs online but we do not do anything special.  Usage has been as follows:
Billing Period Total usage
26 Mar - 26 Apr   22.71GB
26 Feb - 26 Mar  20.31GB
26 Jan - 26 Feb  20.43GB
I have been with Plusnet for years and have not gone for a cheaper option so that we always have good speed.
However, the speed has never really been as fast as I would like, but for weeks it has been appalling.
I have just done 3 tests and the average upload is 250kbps:  download 372kbps (actually, one was 267).
This is simply hopeless.  I have just filled in the Broadband Fault Checker, but while I am waiting for Plusnet to come back to me (as I am not optimistic)
a) should there be a better deal for me than the one I am on from Plusnet (in case they find a solution)
b) can anyone recommend another broadband supplier   Huh

If you decide that Plusnet is no longer for you then I would have a look at the O2 LLU packages (not O2 Access as it's not LLU and is best avoided just now).
It can be a lot cheaper at times if you sign up to O2 through sites like Quidco and Topcashback.
Your exchange has a lot to offer with the exception of VM Cable.
With it being a market 3 exchange I think that some of the PN packages have a cheaper monthly rate after the first 3 months have expired, but maybe that's just for new sign ups.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the new Extra package will give you 60G and will be cheaper, the pro package and value wont suit as the limit is Pro 20G and value 10g
as you aere market 3 its
More for your money
Around 80% of homes can get Plusnet Extra for £11.49 a month (that's only £5 more than Plusnet Value).
Mark
Grafter

Hi there
I have been with Plusnet for years and have not gone for a cheaper option so that we always have good speed...........I have just done 3 tests and the average upload is 250kbps:  download 372kbps (actually, one was 267).

I think we've all gone down the route of looking at new or differing products whilst missing the underlying problem. Lets get your connection looked at before we look at alternatives Smiley
What tests have you run already. Where did the speedtest results you've posted come from?
Can you post some stats from you router and run a BT speedtest and post the results of both back to the thread?
irritablegit
Rising Star

From
http://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive fixed 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line."
http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
Shows that houses all around me are getting much higher speeds with other ISPs. 
This morning I did three tests on broadbandspeedchecker and the result is
DL UL
232 370
224 372
224 371

@MARK
What does "stats from your router" mean ?
I do not have time to run the BT speedtest today - as I mentioned yesterday "I did have a go at the BT Speedtester and it gave me a figure of download speed 198.  It then asked me to change the username and password in my router so it could try something else, but I have not got time for that now ...". 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

noise margin, attenuation and speeds
This tells you how to get them http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
irritablegit
Rising Star

Attached are some new figures from about 9:30 this morning
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There are several things which are concerning about those figures.
Obviously the first one is the result of the speed test - is that with a wired or wireless connection.
Less obvious is the fact that your sync speed is far too low for the attenuation and noise margin. This points to there being a lot of noise/interference on the line
The IP profile is low for the sync speed reported in the BT test (it should be 2,500kbps) which either indicates that there was a lower speed sync or the IP profile is stuck
First thing is whether you can hear noise when you phone - dial 17070 option 2 Quiet Line Test
Second can you try the test socket with nothing els connected and report the stats
Finally which model Netgear Router do you have
irritablegit
Rising Star

@oldjim
The quiet line test ........... is not quiet.  There is a mild buzzing.
Router is DG834v3
We do not use any wireless.  It is all ethernet.
We have possibly 5 or 6 pcs plus a printer all connected to a netgear switch (FS608UK v3), which is connected to the router.  (ALL the PCs experience the slowness)
Tomorrow I might have a go at the test socket.  Thanks for your help.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If there is a buzzing when connected to the test socket (phone only no router) it should be reported as a voice fault.
This buzzing could be a part of the problem