Did you mean: 

The Future of PlusNet is Under Review

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: The Future of PlusNet is Under Review

@JonoH wrote:

the plan isnt to merge PN and EE with BT under the BT banner

Maybe they are merging, maybe they are not merging, whatever you take that to mean. But they are already on the same page under the BT banner.

Billybob25
Hooked

I hope that this doesn't happen, I have been with Plusnet and it's predecessors Care4free and Madasafish for over 20 years. Never had any issues with the service.

Bill 

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@Billybob25 Me too. I went through hell in a year withTalkTalk and joining PN was a revelation. I also have never had a problem wih PN.

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I joined plusnet about 18 years ago, and left for a better value deal earlier this year.

If Im correct that was just before the BT buyout, and over that time period Plusnet have changed signifficantly - a sort of slow death by a thouand cuts steered by the dead hand of BT

Dont spend money on TV advertising as customer growth is by word of mouth - gone

24/7 call centre availability - gone

webspace - gone

up to date call centre stats all openly published and even webcams at various points round plusnet - gone

line rental saver/pay a proportion up front - gone

and thats pretty much just the start

I stayed with plusnet for 18 years as each time when it came to contract renewal they were always helpful enthusiastic and keen to offer a competitve retention deal that made staying with plusnet worth it, the last time i tried to renew the pusnet staff seemed bored and had zero enthusiasm in even coming close to matching any deals on the market - even saying that Plusnet were a premium top tier ( not budget) service provider and thats whay whty are uable to price match as with plusnet you pay more for a premium ISP.

Now they have finaly started to offer FTTP but tats a complete dogs dinner, either lose your phone number or lose your email.

The big crunch will come when PSTN is switched off/migrated to Voip , although by then i expect Plusnet will be no more with customers transfered to EE and the call centre/support staff either receiving P45's or transfered to EE (EE basic broadband?)

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@pint, BT bought out Plusnet is 2006

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Presumably it's the "landline" number that you'd lose not our mobiles which are physically separate.  Wouldn't bother me as I don't have a phone plugged into mine and have only kept it (with a phone receiver in a cupboard) for emergencies if the mobile is not working.  No one legitimate uses that number, only chinese spam.

Of course, with VoIP replacing the old centrally-powered physical lines, voice comms are much more vulnerable to connection problems.  We might have to refresh our letter-writing skills Cheesy

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@pint   You forgot something.... Live Chat.. the shut down of which was very badly mishandled and  which has impacted heavily on those with hearing problems,  i.e DISABLED customers.

hpjohnson
Dabbler

Some further news on this front. BT Sport to be axed according to ISPReview, and Plusnet Business gone. And rumours swirling that Plusnet Mobile is going to EE at the end of March. Is there any further news on the Digital Voice Front? What happens to vulnerable pensioners or the disabled when copper is ceased, who need their landline? It looks as though Plusnet is being put back to what it was originally intended for, a low cost broadband only service without the bells and whistles, which is cool for me but for those who need a home phone, it looks like Plusnet are going to lose a good share of the market.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@hpjohnson Is BT Sport to be axed in total? - if so, nothing to do with the PN brand as such.

As regards the voice service, this will affect everyone, but there are alternatives, and those who are vulnerable (care alarm users, for instance) will be helped by the alarm providers.

As to the home phone re-quote - see above.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

For clarity this is the story @hpjohnson is talking about.

broadband isp plusnet uk predicted to remove bt-sport addon 

HTH

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Cheers, @Dan_the_Van . From the number of 'please remove BT Sport' requests I've seen, many users don't want to pay for it, anyway.

John