cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible experience with Plusnet Fibre installation (Or lack thereof!)

NefariousDragon
Dabbler

Terrible experience with Plusnet Fibre installation (Or lack thereof!)

So my fibre broadband installation date was supposed to be this morning. The Openreach engineer arrived around 10:30 am but said that because my Plusnet router had yet to arrive he couldn't activate the line.
He mounted the Openreach modem to the wall and hooked it up to the power socket and phone socket, but said that it is his company policy to not hook up the connection at the exchange until the Plusnet router arrives.
I phoned your support line earlier and was told that when the router arrives, I can just connect it up to the Openreach modem myself, however since the engineer refused to activate the line this won't be possible.
This is beyond a joke now. I signed up for this service on the 12th of May, so you've had plenty of time to post the router out to me. I had to take the day off work today to wait in for the engineer, all for nothing, as my fibre connection hasn't even been activated.
I hope that this is resolved quickly, and I am recompensed for my wasted time and increasing mobile data tethering charges as I have already lost faith in your company. I have been without internet for weeks now and I need it urgently as I work from home most weekends.
26 REPLIES 26
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Terrible experience with Plusnet Fibre installation (Or lack thereof!)

Interestingly, the BT documentation given to engineers says:
Explain what you will be doing.
Talk the end user through the process, including disconnection and any loss of service. If you are there for a Managed Install ask if they have received a router. If they have a card from a failed home delivery, ask them if it’s possible for them to go and collect the router so that you can get on with the job. If they haven’t received their router use the Hot Spares process (only used for some CPs). Obviously an end user would much prefer it if you could get a spare and avoid having to wait for another visit.
Ask if they are aware of the power requirements and if a PC is available to check working service after installation. If you’re dealing with a business make sure that they have told their colleagues that the service is about to be disconnected.

I suggest you have this thread moved to "Your Feedback" for greater visibility and ask PN to explain which of the above eventualities apply to a PN install where no router has been delivered. e.g. is it a Managed Install?
The same document also says:
When it goes wrong If you have to leave the job without finishing it, make sure the end user knows exactly what happens next. If you aren’t going to return that day you must make arrangements to roll back to the original broadband service
but that may not apply as your post suggests you have no service at all at present.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mod Note
I have taken the liberty of moving this topic for the reasons detailed by HPsauce.
Good luck with your issue.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Mod note - as the first post has been moved to here I have removed the duplicate post made by yourself
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi NefariousDragon,
Really sorry you're not up and running yet, I'm just looking at the order and it is showing the work as completed.
Is your Openreach modem powered on, if so does it have a table DSL light?
If not then we'll need to get another engineer out out asap for you.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: NefariousDragon
The Openreach engineer arrived around 10:30 am but said that because my Plusnet router had yet to arrive he couldn't activate the line.
He mounted the Openreach modem to the wall and hooked it up to the power socket and phone socket, but said that it is his company policy to not hook up the connection at the exchange until the Plusnet router arrives.
Quote from: Chris
looking at the order and it is showing the work as completed.

Someone here is being "economical with the truth" as that's a direct contradiction. At first glance that would appear to be the OR engineer and that should be challenged strongly by PN!  Crazy
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Given that in posts seen elsewhere around here, BTOR are only responsible for installing their modem and making sure that it synchs with the dslam.  So why if the PN router is not available can they not still just do their but and leave if there is not a pre-existing service on the line?
Looks like another user let down by BTOR, or was it one of their sub-contractors?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've just been chasing this up to see if there's any update and your order is now showing as committed, so we are now waiting an update on this so we can rebook you in if required.
NefariousDragon
Dabbler

The Openreach modem is powered on and has been since the guy left this morning. No DSL light at all.
Am I going to have to waste another morning/evening off work to get this sorted? Everything's been done in my property, I just need the line activated at the exchange.
HPsauce
Pro

BTOR will probably say they have to visit again, but we all know that's a cop-out.  Lips_are_sealed
I'd push VERY hard to have them do the exchange/cabinet work without a home visit and await your reports after it is done.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Lidia is looking at this personally and will be in touch to confirm where we are with this.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

So my fibre broadband installation date was supposed to be this morning. The Openreach engineer arrived around 10:30 am but said that because my Plusnet router had yet to arrive he couldn't activate the line.

What a complete load of utter spherical objects!
The instructions on how to connect a single PC directly to the modem to test (and use) FTTC without a router are here: http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
OpenReach really are the pits!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
NefariousDragon
Dabbler

Yeah, I pointed out the fact that the router wasn't required and I could just connect my computer directly to the fibre modem, but I got stonewalled with "It's company policy"
It wasn't an actual Openreach guy it was a local contractor of some kind.
Worst part is I've noticed that PN are now doing 6 months half price on their unlimited fibre deal. Bet if I'd waited a few weeks and signed up for that I'd have saved £60 and still have gotten my connection sorted faster than I'm going to get it sorted now.  Sad
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It wasn't an actual Openreach guy it was a local contractor of some kind.

Kellys?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
NefariousDragon
Dabbler

I'm not sure to be honest, I just remember glancing at the van as he pulled up and noticing it said something other than BT Openreach on it. Something Telecoms.
adie:quote