cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping to Fibre - not sure it's a good idea.

lilypenny

Swapping to Fibre - not sure it's a good idea.

Fibre became available in my cabinet so I thought I would apply to upgrade. Great, got  a date one week after placing the order. Engineer called at about 7;40 on Wednesday morning and arrived about 30 minutes later after phone line had gone dead and installed the BT OR Modem, and a new faceplate on my already upgraded Master Socket. OR Modem came up with 3 green lights, engineer didn't do any sync test hooked my PN Router up and said leave it for 25 minutes which I did and nothing. So I started going through the reset procedures as explained in the instructions and still nothing so after an hour I called PN Support who advised that the engineer hadn't closed the call off so as far as they  were aware the install hadn't happened. Anyway from my Smartphone I kept an eye on my tickets and noticed that they then updated to say that the order was complete, but no phone call back from PN as promised. So I tried resetting again and still nothing. So I called PN Support and they started a line test but we got cut off part way through the process so I had to call back again and cue for about 10 minutes when I got through they started the test again only for it to fail. I was told it would be passed back to be tested and I would hear something in 24 hours or so. I understand from having called that the SLA is 72 hours on this so why wasn't I told that in the beginning. We are not over 48 hours down the line and I haven't heard anything. So I guess like many other disgruntled customers it's a waiting game. Having been with Plusnet now for over 11 years before all the advertising hype I have always liked the helpful staff at PN but I am beginning to wonder whether the only way to get a working Fibre service is to sign up with BT (or is that just as bad). Just spent £15 on Data with my EE phone so that I can tether it and whilst it's not ideal the speed I am getting on the H+ network is better than my old ADSL2+ service.
You would have thought that with all the BT and Plusnet hype and advertising that they would have sorted the install process out so that customers didn't have to have their relationship with what was essentially a really good company to deal. I can only hope that the next time Which do some customer satisfaction surveys that Plusnet slip down the ratings.
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Swapping to Fibre - not sure it's a good idea.

Both BT Retail and PlusNET are at the mercy of BT Wholesale and BT Openreach for the delivery of services.  It looks like BTOR did not complete the installation properly, but signed it off as complete.  Unfortunately due to the way BTOR work, this now will be treated as a fault, which has a 72 hour SLA.
It matters not in situations such as this which ISP you are with, it is the same BTOR which has to be dealt with / will eventually get around to fixing the problem.  Min some areas fibre installs are done by contractors; issues with contractor installs are legion.
Hope yours is soon resolved.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lilypenny,
I'm sorry to hear that the FTTC installation didn't go to plan.
I can see that since your initial post we arranged for an engineer to attend this morning to resolve the fault. Based on the notes from the engineer it sounds like they were unable to resolve the issue and have asked for a multi-skilled engineer to attend. I have passed this to our Faults team to investigate further as soon as possible.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.
lilypenny

Whilst I am now connected and thanks to Plusnet for getting BT OR to sort out their new cabinet I went Live overnight and got up to a surprise of internet.. Yippee. Thanks PN
But I do have a problem I believe that the download cap is still on my line because I am only getting about 16 Megs on an 80 Meg service, and yes I know during the first 10 days it can fluctuate but I have been here before when I switched from upto 8Meg (ADSL) to upto 16 Meg (ADSL2) and I had to ask for the cap to be taken off.
The only disappointing thing is that I added a thank you the open ticket this morning and asked for the cap to be taken off, but the ticket is still open and I haven't had a response despite someone having previously put that the ticket should be monitored on Wed from 10am for a resolution by C.O.B. today, now don't get me wrong I am delighted to be online again, could someone take my cap off the download speed. The upload speed seems to be running at around 17 to 18 so it looks like their either isn't a cap on it or it is running at around the same as the download.
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to see that your back online Smiley
The profile on our end was stuck but I've just shifted it now to the correct level.
If you log into your router and disconnect then reconnect your connection the speeds should jump up
Any further issues please let us know
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team