cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summary of Internet Activities chart enhancement request

fudokai

Summary of Internet Activities chart enhancement request

As it stands the chart showing the Summary of Internet Activities is probably fine for non-technical users.
For those of us of a more technical persuasion it would be nice if there was an option to show a detailed chart by port number/service name - after all the Other section doesn't help a lot and since, last month, 30% of my access was logged under Other (probably mostly rsync) more information would help.
I'm assuming that you are collecting the raw data by port number Wink  so as an alternative access to the raw data (filtered to the specific account of course) would be really nice, e.g. a link to download a text file
If this is too much to ask then could we please have something which translates the headings into port numbers/service names in the glossary
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Summary of Internet Activities chart enhancement request

Quote from: fudokai
I'm assuming that you are collecting the raw data by port number Wink

Almost certainly not! P2P applications particularly tend to use ports used by other more friendly protocols in an attempt to circumvent ISPs traffic control.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

No, not at all.
We use Ellacoya boxes which detect the traffic type via traffic signature as well as a number of other methods.
I'm afraid that what you're asking for just isn't possible.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
I'm afraid that what you're asking for just isn't possible.

Or at least not possible for PN to offer as a service.
You could track your own usage though using an internal web proxy for example, and if you set one up on a separate machine, you could use it as your firewall too, and simply set your router to forward all traffic to the firewall box. Then you could capture all elements of web traffic, except the TCP/IP Signalling used for maintaining and managing your connection (which isn't captured by PN anyway as it doesn't get as far as their network)