cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion..... employ more staff to answer tickets and phones

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Suggestion..... employ more staff to answer tickets and phones

there is also a 01 number for PlusNet sheffield, that is Free on BT lines (most packages)

but not during the day on the home phone Eve & weekend nor on my Heritage 240,  on that it comes of the 240 mins, whereas the 0845 is totally free
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Afternoon all,
To respond to the replies to my post yesterday I have re-read this thread and others such as http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90750.64.html.
I didn't wish to come across as smug, I was probing for  a little more detail from the OP, which I'm grateful for shutter. It's clear to see from the off that the main concern here is wait times on the phones although in saying that I'm not dismissing ticket response times, we need to work on both.
It's clear to see that the stats we present at the moment for ticket responses are improved We're looking at 1 day, 1 hour, 52 minutes and 22 seconds at the moment compared to 48 hours 1 minute 23 seconds posted back on 7/11/09.
As a general measure of customer satisfaction it's worth a look here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90750.msg757856.html#msg757856
These stats are from last November and I hope to bring you some more up to date ones soon.
Looking back at comments made by Steve Woods last February its clear to see that things were improving at that time and have since. However increased marketing and the move to bring support back to UK have unfortunately and clearly led to some set backs in terms of response times. So we now need to focus on bringing these down and in my personal opinion here's what I think we need to look at:
recruitment - This is still ongoing and has stepped up another gear, its easy to tell when we have a recruitment day at Plusnet as it's hard to move around the canteen and the training areas. Internet house is a very busy and bustling environment but is becoming ever-more so. We also have some new recruits in training at the moment, which leads me on to my next point..
Training - We're taking a detailed look at the material we use for this and how it's delivered. We're looking to add more weight and emphasis to what we are seeing to be some of the more important areas and get focussed towards a one-touch solution for our customers (in an ideal scenario).
More support for agents after training - We now have more of a spread of experienced senior agents across the CSC teams now and we are considering new ways of making sure agents on the phones (especially the newer ones) get any help they may need as we know this does improve the customer experience when put into practice.
So to summarise as I believe it we need to recruit, train and then support new agents and work very very hard at it too. I'm not going to blindside anyone, things aren't better, but we want them to be and you need them to be if your going to stick with us. Please let me know (as I'm sure you will) what your thoughts are on this and if you think I'm missing any important points.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Thank you for taking the time to read the whole of the thread.... I am sure that you are now more "up to date" with how things have not progressed since it started.
Your very well considered response to it all, seems to be saying... OOoops.!  we messed up,.... we should not have had so much focus on getting new customers, BEFORE we got the present (now, past) CSC problems sorted out first.... ( agreed, no company can "stand still" on gaining new customers..... however, the poor infrastructure already established, was not, and never would be, able to cope with the increased amount of complaints due to the increased numbers of customers signed up).....
In your summary, you hit the nail on the head.....

things aren't better, but we want them to be and you need them to be if your going to stick with us.

and it is refreshing to note that, at least, one person on PlusNet staff has the guts to admit it..... 
Unfortunately. we are seeing the same responses.....
we are recruiting more staff.... and the canteen is busier.... Erm.... yes, the canteen may well be busy,.....but really we need the staff to be "at their posts - working" !... 
and we are doing more training....  and more support after training....
all the above point were made by Mand , Chris, and others .... so can you give your crystal ball another polish up, and forecast that things will get better,...... SOONER rather than LATER this year.
( I would like to re-iterate, that I have no personal gripe  [at the moment] with the CSC staff..... my only intention is to try to motivate your end, to support our end and live up to the promises thatt you advertise ..... )
As previously mentioned.... no matter what your "stats" show.... - and they can be so designed to reflect whatever you need to "look good" on paper.... the plain facts are, the increasing numbers of customer complaints in this Feedback Board....
where there should, (according to what Mand, Chris, and others promised last year) be a serious increase in bouquets instead of brick-bats...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks Shutter,
I'd like to state too that we have done well to keep up with the increase in demand for support as our customer base has grown and grown over the past few months. However I know this is not easy to appreciate from a customer's point of view. I'll for one do what I can to keep the right people on their toes that can really make a difference to this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shutter
Community Veteran

Attention Adam Walker.......
just so you know that it is not "just me".....  complaining about the phone lines.......it still happens.... no-body on the phone lines, but still a wait of 20 mins before answering....

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92884.0.html
(if I remember, my call was about 21:00 .... )
The op of the post above shows the count as zero calls waiting, but my situation was the opposite.... it showed callers waiting, when in fact the guy on the phone said there were no calls in the last 25 minutes,.....
Your use of "stats" to prove that things are improving, is so much smoke screen when you get things like this happening that things have not improved, despite the assurances given by Matt, Chris, and Mand... ... ...  Undecided
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi shutter,
No we don't deny that wait times can be high at the moment.
I saw that post last night, I'm wondering if we have an issue with the stats updating less frequently than they should be too. We're not using them as a smokescreen but I'm wondering like I say if there's an issue affecting the credibility of that information. I'll be looking into that.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shutter
Community Veteran

YAY !...  Cheesy
James
Grafter

Looking at http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=212 I'm fairly certain there wasn't a time last night when there weren't any calls in the queue last night!
Gerry, just as an FYI, we had 13 guys start on the call centre floor this week, we have 14 in training and a further 16 will be in training next week.  Just to give you a bit of an insight into the numbers of staff we are employing.
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh

Gerry, just as an FYI, we had 13 guys start on the call centre floor this week, we have 14 in training and a further 16 will be in training next week.  Just to give you a bit of an insight into the numbers of staff we are employing.

Hi James.... yes, you keep quoting these figures, and have been doing so for the past 13 months...
. and at the same time saying things will improve, just give it a bit of time.....  Roll_eyes 
obviously, you (PlusNet) consider that you are employing "enough" people,  but the equation between the number of staff employed, and the number of customer complaints is not being kept to a proper proportion, judging by the recent history and judging by the recent influx of new customers....
Now, you can`t say that  " we have too many customers"... and they are causing all the problems.... because...... the problems are still there, when you did not have as many customers as you have now...

The problems remain.
... despite the assurances that things will improve... the problems remain... despite the number of staff employed since November 2009, .... the problems remain .... despite the recent additional staff you just mentioned.... the problems remain.... despite the new recruits that start next week
and looking at the Feedback forum... they are the same problems recurring all the time....

notice anything that has remained constant over the last 14 months? ? ?   
the problems.... they have remained constant... same complaints... but from different (new) customers does not mean that things are improving... and certainly to those who have the problems, there is no improvement in either the service level, or the response level, until that problem has been resolved....
The problems should have been sorted a long time ago... deal with the problems,... and the complaints will eventually turn into praise...
In this modern hi-tech world, transferring a customer from one supplier to another should be (almost) un-noticed....
for example.... If I switched supplier from British Gas.  (supplying my Gas only) to Southern Electric.... I would not have to spend days on the phone chasing up Southern Electric, because I have not got  the gas supply.... similar with the Electric supply... when the transfer happens. the service is continuous throughout the transfer period.... and the only thing that MAY cause a problem is the eventual final and first bills arriving on the door mat...
There really is no reason why transferring a broadband/internet connection should not be done in the same manner....as any other service, as outlined above
James
Grafter

Hi Gerry,
I wasn't saying that we have enough staff, I was giving you an indication of the numbers rather than just saying that we're employing staff.
Due to natural churn, we're probably about 20 staff short on where we would like to be and so continue to recruit heavily.
We're not happy with the amount of time that our customers are having to wait at times to have their calls answered and for delays to their tickets.
Obviously if we were employing enough people we wouldn't have this problem.
FWIW, people always complain.  Simple fact of life. I think it's part of being British Smiley
csogilvie
Grafter

I almost responded to this the other day there, but decided against it. However, I had an interesting chat with some high-level directors of a large business yesterday afternoon, and their thoughts echoed my own so it's obviously not just personal opinion.
People will only post to forums when they have a problem, because they feel it's either the only way to get it answered, they want to provide feedback or they want to verify that they aren't the only one with the problem. People that have no problems with the service RARELY post to forums, or provide any feedback what-so-ever on their experiences if they are actually good.
You need to keep that in mind... 1000 people could be posting here, and I'm sure to one extent Plusnet would say that's possibly 1000 people to many - but no service is going to be perfect - but there are another 249000+ (I'm guessing it's way more than that!) customers who are not posting because they are potentially very happy with the service, or are getting on perfectly well with phone support or ticket support and therefore don't need to post to the forums.
The people on this forum are only very probably the minority of people, less than 6% of customers are registered here at a guess, and I'd hazard a guess that an even smaller percentage of them have problems.
Perhaps a thing called 'perspective' needs to be applied?
shutter
Community Veteran

James...
you have not read the last post of mine, and let it sink in.....  It is not the number of staff.... it is the problems.... that need attending to.....
And you are quite happy with the last statement. inasmuch it covers all the problems that PlusNet have with their customers.....
i.e.   so what... we have a rubbish way of transferring you from one supplier to another.... you may not have the connection for 24/7 during this "transfer" period , or for days afterwards....  because we are incapable of doing that, however, if you want to complain... then go ahead... that is part of "being british"...  

no James... it is being sloppy.

and not giving your customers the service they deserve, because you have not addressed the problems... you have just by passed them saying it is in people`s nature to complain. ... so let`s give them something to complain about...
and your response was sloppy too....you said... "Obviously if we were employing enough people we wouldn't have this problem.".... as I pointed out... you need to "get rid of the problems".... and then you will not need so many staff to handle the complaints...
ergo.... it is cheaper to resolve a problem, than it is to employ people to handle complaints..
To quote you.... " simple fact of life "
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

but you're assuming every call in the queue is a 'problem' that needs to be solved, except I suspect a fair few tickets and calls are not problems per se but requests for help setting up email or routers etc.
so is your issue with speed of which these calls / tickets are responded to or some massive underlying fault?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

@ cso...

People will only post to forums when they have a problem, because they feel it's either the only way to get it answered,

and why is that?...... because the system in place at the present time.... and the one that has been assured is being overhauled, all during 2010, yet still functions in the same manner as 2009,,, is not working ....
Realistically, if people were getting their problems sorted quickly and efficiently, by the system in place,... then ipso facto.... there would not be a need to post on the forum...  Roll_eyes

Yes there is the perspective to apply to any number of "complaints" and the ratio of customers.... yes, people who have a problem will complain... BUT to those people, it is a one hundred percent problem... and it is the same problems over and over and over again ... that these people are complaining about...
no matter how high up the executive chain you go to canvass opinion... it is the paying customer who keeps them there... and if they want to ensure that their business and their position is secure, then they must stand back from their highly polished desk, and look at the basic infrastructure that supports them... i.e. the customers..
now, if the customers are continuously complaining about the same problems over and over again....

then it is the problems that need to be fixed....

.just because you consider 6% of a total customer number is low, does not detract from the fact that to each and every one of those 6 % the problem represents 100% ....
as I have just pointed out in my previous.... seamless transfer from one supplier of services to another is taking place throughout the world, except it seems in the case of broadband/internet service which PlusNet are mainly concerned with.... Perhaps they (senior PlusNet staff and executives) should go and visit the major Utility suppliers to find out how it is done. and then implement changes to facilitate a seamless transfer between suppliers...
believe it or not.... IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE... it can be done....
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd guess there's 300,000+ Plusnet users who are either totally unaware of the community forums or don't realise that by posting on here they may get better service. I'm not saying that the 300,000 are having problems, just that we have no way of judging how many of the people who don't post on here have problems.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)