Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion..... employ more staff to answer tickets and phones

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Suggestion..... employ more staff to answer tickets and phones

I was going to add that Mark's explanation was fair comment, although some may dispute that all agents are multi-skilled  Lips_are_sealed until training is completed  Wink
However jelv's comment un-eased me a bit, Mark could you please explain a bit more about how it works with the different queues, thanks.
Edit: spelling!
johpal
Grafter

@Mark
We spent a lot of time looking at the options, but the downside way way outstripped the benefit and in fact there was no benefit, for us or our customers, from this solution.

So, when did the customer have the opportunity to chip in their views? Queue information systems are used in many parts of Europe, have been since the eighties!
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: Mark
Lets say your calling to report a problem with email, no other higher priority calls in the queues and your number 3 in line to be answered, suddenly 2 adsl faults hit the queue and a home phone fault. Next thing you know you've gone from 3 to six with no understanding why.

That just seems plain wrong. As shutter so eloquently put it, PN is more analogous to a supermarket, not A&E, and we're just queueing for service, not medical treatment.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

But calls need prioritising don't they? or are we suggesting that all calls are placed in a single queue regardless.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
csogilvie
Grafter

I think I'd much rather just listen to hold music, regardless of adverts and the VERY annoying 'Your call is number X in the queue' messages that everyone else most people seems to be advocating...
Also, if someone is calling to report the fact that their Home Phone line is down, then I'd think they deserved more priority than someone phoning up to ask a question on what email server to use - not having a working Home Phone line is probably much more important than someone not being able to get their email...
Strat
Community Veteran

Not everyone Colin Smiley
The practicalities are far more complex than the theories.
Inbound call traffic has to be prioritised in order to provide a reasonable service and therefore a single queue is simply not practicable.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: Strat
But calls need prioritising don't they?

I don't think they do, Strat. ISTM the priority is how long you've been holding.
or are we suggesting that all calls are placed in a single queue regardless.

If the max answer time is reasonable (and why shouldn't it be?) then yes, why not?
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
csogilvie
Grafter

Quote from: 4Candles
If the max answer time is reasonable (and why shouldn't it be?) then yes, why not?

Presumably because you can't do Skills Based Routing if all the calls are in one queue.
Strat
Community Veteran

Exactly.
James
Grafter

Re:Suggestion..... employ more staff to answer tickets and phones

We simply have to prioritise some calls - Notably home phone faults ones.  Having a single queue is not an option.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Ok. so calls have to be "prioritised".... is there some kind of "mystic meg" telephone operator, sitting in the basement, in front of a PABX with a crystal ball (sorry LCD screen) who can determine that (for example) Strat is on the phone, with a call about his email, and just before he called up  Asbo Dog called in and is now talking to CS about his broadband fault, when I come along with my call, and hear the "all our operators are busy, we will answer your call as soon as possible "  while Strat is waiting (and listening to the same message(s) ....
I want to speak to CS about my Home Phone . 
Now this "mystic meg" has not spoken to either me or Strat, (because "all our operators are busy........")  yet she decides that my call is more important than Strat`s call...? ? ? ? and connects me before Strat?
How can you "prioritise" a call, and the service to be rendered, without speaking to the person calling first? and how can you not be "in a queue" even if it does not say you are, you must be, by virtue of the fact that you are "patiently" waiting  ? ? ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You get put in a queue based on the numbers you key in response to the prompts.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Gerry,
Every single path you choose in the IVR will go into a different Huntgroup.  The Huntgroups are prioritised based on the type of call.
There are lots of huntgroups!  We just can't do it.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: 4Candles
But calls need prioritising don't they?

I don't think they do, Strat. ISTM the priority is how long you've been holding.
or are we suggesting that all calls are placed in a single queue regardless.

I tend to agree that calls do need prioritising, but if the system really does work that you go back down the queue, if a higher priority comes in, then it should also prioritise a call that's been holding for more than 10mins so it doesn't go down the queue.
However, as has been said the practicalities are more complex that the theories, but to me that doesn't sound like a complex algorithm.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: Jameseh
Gerry,
Every single path you choose in the IVR will go into a different Huntgroup.  The Huntgroups are prioritised based on the type of call.
There are lots of huntgroups!  We just can't do it.

Hmm OK...    so It can`t be done.....      Roll_eyes    as they say in the "Carlsberg adverts................ Probably..."  Lips_are_sealed