Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid & Misleading Offer

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Stupid & Misleading Offer

Glass half empty - you get a discount by taking both services rather than just one. Much like dual fuel discounts with British Gas.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Current subscribers get penalised for only taking broadband - there are no discounts.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@VileReynard that's not entirely correct I'm afraid. Whilst this may have been the case at one point, our retention offers change from time to time. Can I arrange for one of my colleagues to call you back?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
VileReynard
Hero

OK - I will risk hearing what Plusnet have to say. Lips_are_sealed

I'm willing to sign up for a new contract - provided that some unexpected amount isn't levied when it expires.

I'm not interested in Plusnet's phone service since I've had no problems with BT for several decades.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@VileReynard fantastic cheers, I've passed your account details to one of my colleagues to call you back in about 20 minutes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I'm not interested in Plusnet's phone service since I've had no problems with BT for several decades

Does it really matter that much who you buy it from?  Why pay more than you have to?  Why not accept the discount arising from taking both services from one provider? 

It is essentially the same technical service ... much like it does not matter who you pay for your gas or electricity, it is the same gas delivered down the same pipe and its the same electricity delivered through the same wire!!  All that really changes is what your bill looks like and the price you pay.

Also why face the issue of needing to project manage fault conditions yourself...

• BT: "You say you think the noise on the line affects your broadband service ... in that case you had better contact your ISP..."
  • Plusnet: "We understand that you're having broadband issues, but the BTw fault tester is reporting a PSTN issue ... which BTw say your phone service provider needs to deal with..."

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero

If I have no signal on the phone (very rare), I contact BT.

If I have a broadband issue then Plusnet will either raise a voice fault or a broadband fault with Openreach.

Since I would get no discount by taking both services and I make few calls (nearly all "free" local calls) the only difference is the line rental which is a pretty standard rate everywhere.

Actually, according to my bill for the last quarter, I made 166 calls, all of which qualified for the free anytime billing.

BTW Plusnet were unable to come up with an offer of 80/20 fibre for less than the increased price of £20-99.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If I have a broadband issue then Plusnet will either raise a voice fault or a broadband fault with Openreach.

If that is your experience, then you have been very lucky!

If you are a broadband only customer, Plusnet can only deal with BT Wholesale and have no recourse to BTOR if BTw says its a PTSN issue.

BTw will not deal with PTSN issues ... as has been reported elsewhere around here recently where BT Retail brushed off a user because they mentioned impact on their broadband service.  When Plusnet investigated, they found a line fault ... which BTw dictated was the responsibility of the voice service provider - BT Retail - where the user started originally.  See https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Profitable-circles/m-p/1534748#M323150

VileReynard
Hero

Diagnosis Procedure applicable to all:-

If your broadband goes sub-standard:-

1. Check phoneline on any phone (DECT etc)

2. Try dialing quiet-line on 17070 using non-digital phone.

3. If its quite noisy - its a voice fault, so contact your voice provider (BT or Plusnet)

4. Otherwise its a broadband fault, so re-boot router, if still present its definitely Plusnet's problem.

It's possible to get a fault which is not a localised one - so it takes Openreach weeks to fix those.

Voice faults are usually obvious (and rare) and don't necessarily destroy your broadband.

A few years ago I got a voice fault, so I raised a problem with BT via their website over the faulty line.
Fixed within 24 hours.