cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop the double-talk over Netgear Routers

nethlyn
Dabbler

Stop the double-talk over Netgear Routers

Either you do support them or you don't, I get a different answer every time I call.
Joined Plusnet April 08, got a BT Router and was told Linksys or D-Link were the other brand (sadly an existing D-Link I borrowed refused to work at the time). Spent 18 months offering you money to get a 4-port because I was one month ahead of when you made them standard, refused every time and not given a straight answer as to what brand I could buy that you did support.
Then that single-port router died last month and I couldn't afford to sit around with no internet when the first Thomson order wasn't actioned for 12 days - went and bought a Netgear because I was told "any Wireless-N" will do. Rang up Tech Support and was told "We don't support Netgear", never mind the two other staff that said any modem will do as long as it's Wireless-N native or b/g with the handshaking ability for N.
So the Netgear I bought (DGN1000) will give basic service but not Steam for gaming and the full functionality in general. When I had to ring you up to sort out the router when my internet went off at 2am last week, I was told "well any router that's compatible [will work with Plusnet]"  - to be fair to the Tech operator he got the connection going again but it's not great for your staff that a hard reset's all they really have to try.
So if Netgear modem/routers aren't supported - as in not supported full stop, NOT that you need the middle to top of the range for the same service as a Thomson - then print it in big letters on the website or in the T&Cs, and train your staff to give one answer.
10 REPLIES 10
Alxns
Grafter

Re: Stop the double-talk over Netgear Routers

Yes the plusnet service - ADSL/ADSL2+ will work with most if not all ADSL routers
it doesn't mean they will provide support for something that they are not officially trained for in other words use at your own risk kind of thing.
If you are having real trouble just get a offical PN router for 4.99 its probably the easiest solution.
James
Grafter

HI Nethlyn,
Your Netgear router should work perfectly fine with ourselves, as will other router/modems suitable for use in the UK.  However, as it's not a router we supply, we wouldn't be in a position to offer support troubleshooting router issues.  We would however be able to give you the generic settings as per those available on our website.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Nethlyn,
What you've just posted is one of the reasons these forums exist.
You seem to be mixing up support and compatibility; Plusnet will only give support on the equipment they provide, but there are hundreds of routers which are compatible with Plusnet.
If you've sourced your own router and are having trouble post your questions in the Broadband and Routers forum. I'm sure there will be somebody around with the same if not similar router that will be able to offer advice.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nethlyn
Dabbler

Quote from: KyleS
Yes the plusnet service - ADSL/ADSL2+ will work with most if not all ADSL routers
it doesn't mean they will provide support for something that they are not officially trained for in other words use at your own risk kind of thing.
If you are having real trouble just get a offical PN router for 4.99 its probably the easiest solution.

Do you mean the one I spent 18 months requesting every time I called before giving up? And the "Official" Non-Thomson brand they refused to tell me about this time round, considering D-Link and Linksys would naturally refresh their range over 2.5 years? If I thought the whole modem was only a fiver and not the 40 quid I was quoted I'd have carried on calling and asking for it but they left me stuck with the one-port.
As it turns out, the Netgear will get me online in an emergency like the death of official equipment and that's the real reason I got it, I wanted an internet connection that worked even if it was slower - I don't know about you but I'm not paying for a connection to lose it for one-third of a billing period.
nethlyn
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
HI Nethlyn,
Your Netgear router should work perfectly fine with ourselves, as will other router/modems suitable for use in the UK.  However, as it's not a router we supply, we wouldn't be in a position to offer support troubleshooting router issues.  We would however be able to give you the generic settings as per those available on our website.

Thank you James, as long as that's the position in the T&Cs I'll look at those rather than calling to talk to anyone from now on.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you gave details of exactly what problems you are having we might be able to offer some advice.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: nethlyn
If I thought the whole modem was only a fiver and not the 40 quid I was quoted I'd have carried on calling and asking for it but they left me stuck with the one-port.

Depending on when you placed your order and which package you were ordering; I seem to recall that the basic package at one point did only come with a 1-port router for the cost of P&P whereas the 4-port was more expensive.  More recently they're just doing the 4-port routers for the cost of P&P provided you don't leave within the first 12 months - if you do leave during this time; then you have to pay for the equipment.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I've no wish to muddy ant waters, but my daughter and spouse bought a DGN1000, when the DG834 v3 died. It keeps dropping connection and has to be rebooted.They're rejecting it as not fit for purpose.
Plenty if you google DGN1000/2000/3500
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
nethlyn
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
If you gave details of exactly what problems you are having we might be able to offer some advice.

I am sorry about my tone jelv, forgot the cardinal rule of not posting to a forum when you're actually having the problems but sleep on it and calm down.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

NP