cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still using misleading sales techniques...

kanda
Grafter

Still using misleading sales techniques...

Hi,
I signed up early for broadband as I wanted to give plenty of notice to my existing ISP, and the introductory offer of £2.99 for 12 months seemed too good to miss. So with just hours to go on the existing "offer" I signed up for broadband at the introductory price only to see it replaced by another "offer" for £2.75. It may only be a difference of  around £12.50 a year but that's not the point.
It is misleading to suggest an offer is of limited duration when it is replaced by an identical product at a slightly less expensive price immediately after.
To add to this the website also displayed a "countdown timer" indicating that the offer was shortly to run out at midnight.
The Trading Standards website states
"The following practices are considered unfair in all circumstances...Falsely stating that the product will only be available for a limited time or that special terms for that product will only be available for a certain time with a view to persuading you to make an immediate decision about the purchase."
adie:green removed pointless poll
17 REPLIES 17
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Still using misleading sales techniques...

So based on your logic, If you'd have signed up after the offer was over (with the vision that there wouldn't be an offer afterwards) - You wouldn't complain that you missed the offer and want it honouring?
You can't predict the future.
You have an amazing offer as it is, just let it go.
Cheers,
Matt
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Oh what I wouldn't give to get internet at that price with PN.
Isn't the difference actually 24p a month?
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: kanda

It is misleading to suggest an offer is of limited duration when it is replaced by an identical product at a slightly less expensive price immediately after.

Nope
You see many other firms doing this - it is normal business practice
Typical might be "only 5 left in stock - buy now while stocks last" - this is factually correct.
When that stock runs out the firm will get in new stock of say 100 items.
Depending on how their supplier prices the product and umpteen other considerations like shipping etc, the price of the new stock to you the consumer might be higher or indeed it might lower than the previous batch.
......but according to you if they price the new stock at a lower price, then this is against the rules as the previous offer now becomes misleading!
which in turn means that new stock can only ever be priced at a higher price than the previous stock
and this leads to the result that prices can only ever go up - can never go down
Well this is an interesting business concept!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Most existing customers would be more than happy to get £7.00 per month off their broadband for a few months, let alone £7.24.
I assume the majority of long term customers, like me, are paying full price.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

IITC that to advertise something as a special offer (e.g. from £9.99 £2.75 a month) it must have previously be offered at the full price for an equal length of time?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro

It's being sold constantly at full price to existing customers, I'd have thought that would qualify any special offer.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Full price for us Market 1 customers is £16.99/month for unlimited. I'd be more than happy with £3.99/month, never mind £2.99. It's nice to know we are subsidising the cheap deals! Roll_eyes
The O.P. has posted the same on Moneysavingexpert and receiving similar replies.
picbits
Rising Star

I personally have no issue with PN offering lower rates to attract new customers - you have to attract new customers somehow. Generally people are happy with their service and will stay if it is a good value service. Yes it would be nice to get some kind of loyalty bonus for existing users but I've just signed up for another 12 months of LRS with PN as I can't see myself moving for the foreseeable future.
kanda
Grafter

Well, the replies have been interesting, and I've calmed down now (never post on the internet when annoyed :-[)
I do take on board the comments that you're all paying full price. If anything I think there should be a level playing field - not offers designed to pull the customers in. The "race to the bottom" with broadband prices is almost the opposite to that shown by other utilities. The main thing that gets hurt is customer services - staff cuts, lower morale amongst workers, longer waiting times for customer services - need I go on? A fair price for all would be better, not introductory offers or having to ask for your MAC before getting a better offer for your "loyalty" which is what made me move away from my previous ISP.
gnicholson8
Grafter

So why didn't you cancel your new order (as you're allowed so many days to cool off/foc cancel) and then rebuy at the new price... if you REALLY cared..
However I have to say your own moaning about 24p a month is pretty petty 😕
w23
Pro

Well, with the extra saving, you could just about get a coffee every couple of months or so at Costa.  Lips_are_sealed
Call me 'w23'
kanda
Grafter

Quote from: gnicholson8
So why didn't you cancel your new order (as you're allowed so many days to cool off/foc cancel) and then rebuy at the new price... if you REALLY cared..

Quote from: w23
Well, with the extra saving, you could just about get a coffee every couple of months or so at Costa.  Lips_are_sealed

Well, I'll freely admit to being a tight git :-[) Even though my financial circumstances are looking more than a bit perilous at the moment I think most people would agree on that. Let's just say I'm more likely to be visiting Cash Generator than Costa. What I most object to is the way the package is advertised using the headline amount of £9.99 discounted to £2.75 rather than the previously available £2.99, and the countdown timer. Not such a sense of urgency then, is there? And I have every sympathy with present customers seeing the offer price who are paying the normal price.
w23
Pro

Well, I'll freely admit to being a tight git :-[)

Good for you, and a warm welcome to Plusnet and the forums.  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
gnicholson8
Grafter

Quote from: gnicholson8

Quote from: w23
Well, with the extra saving, you could just about get a coffee every couple of months or so at Costa.  Lips_are_sealed

Well, I'll freely admit to being a tight git :-[) Even though my financial circumstances are looking more than a bit perilous at the moment I think most people would agree on that. Let's just say I'm more likely to be visiting Cash Generator than Costa. What I most object to is the way the package is advertised using the headline amount of £9.99 discounted to £2.75 rather than the previously available £2.99, and the countdown timer. Not such a sense of urgency then, is there? And I have every sympathy with present customers seeing the offer price who are paying the normal price.

But that's the thing, the £2.99 offer was on for such a short time that they can still advertise it as £9.99 previously and that is their standard rate.
If they'd had it as advertised as £2.99 for over three months (I believe) then that becomes the standard rate and they would need to advertise it as £2.75 (£2.99)