cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP Address - Impossible or Expensive with Plusnet

nickatkinson

Re: Static IP Address - Impossible or Expensive with Plusnet

So the question to Plusnet Spraxyt would be why do they not allow the static ip on the VALUE fibre tarrif
I suppose I am expecting some good old Yorkshire straight talking
I repeat I have no objection to paying the £5 set up fee
What cost do plus net have after that to keep it a static ip address ? If at all
Anyone out there know answers please ?
I cannot get any speed higher than 18Mbps, I do not need more than 40gb a month - therefore I have to pay £3.50 per month for life for a static ip address ?
Why can nobody at plusnet answer straight talking questions
Anyone know how I can talk to somebody that knows something there pleease ?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortanately static IP addresses are not an infinite resource, so we only allow them to be added on our higher cost products.
It's a simple business decision based on that and the general needs of the customer base to allow this.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
nickatkinson

So Chris, do you think a broadband service it would be reasonable to expect it to handle remote viewing of webcam through
android/ios apps such as Icam ?
My question again to anyone at plusnet how much does it cost PLUSNET to provide a static ip address per month
Its unfair to pay £3.50  a month just for that
I would pay if the speed was quicker - but plusnet cant provide that
I dont need extra GB
Please can someone at PLUSNET answer my question
You advertise your service as straight talking!
I am willing to pay the £5 setup fee
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST PLUS NET to provide this please - anyone at Plusnet able to answer please !
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi nickatkinson,
The £3.50 a month does get you a fair bit more than the option to add a static IP address, even if that is all you would be upgrading for. Unfortunately as Chris has said, for various reasons the business has decided not to offer a static IP component on the Value account types. I'm sorry that this is inconvenient for you, unfortunately though it's not possible for us to change this.
The actual cost of the IP itself is negligible (though it is certainly getting higher, at present buying new IPv4 addresses is around $10) but the £5 charge exists in part because of the administration required to apply the address to your connection and also in part to stop customers who don't really need a static IP from getting one.
My broadband is dynamic IP only but I use a free dynamic DNS service to access it through the same hostname whatever the IP I'm assigned is, this would work fine with a webcam setup like you're describing and would mean you don't need to pay any extra to access it.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I'm sorry but what it costs PlusNet is not really relevant. As Chris& Matt say they have taken a Busines decision to ONLY provide a static option on higher cost products.
It's similar to other ISP's , BT for example will ONLY provide a static option on Business accounts http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/business-broadband/static-ip/. At least PlusNet do give an option on a domestic account and for less than BT want to charge.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nickatkinson

Matt thank you for the reply. Can I upgrade to the higher package and then discount it to the actual cost that PN have to pay. I was never shown on sign up this limitation. I am not a technical person please can I ring you and discuss. You agree that I am only interested in the higher package for the static IP address. I would love a faster speed but am happy and content with 18mbps?
So how much per user per month for the static do Pn have to pay ?
Chris
Legend

Can I upgrade to the higher package and then discount it to the actual cost that PN have to pay.

You'd need to speak to our customer options team for that, I understand they have spoken to you previously and suggested that you'd need to go to the Fibre Extra package for this.
If you want a static IP address you need to move to a product that supports it. The product offers more than just the static IP, which is why it's £3.50 extra irrespective of whether you need or want the additional features and usage.
So how much per user per month for the static do Pn have to pay ?

I really don't know that, and I very much doubt that many (if anyone) around the business know the exact cost of this. As we've mentioned in previous responses, IP addresses are running out therefore we cannot give them to every customer. Matt's given a suggestion of how to get around this using a dynamic DNS service.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
nickatkinson

I get the impression nobody at plusnet wants to help or see it from a non techie customer
I am willing to pay the setup fee
I would pay the extra 3.50 per month if the speed could be quicker, not interested in extra GB
Please provide name of somebody in Yorkshire that I can discuss
I would have thought a lot of people want to view webcams remotely, strange that plusnet only offer on more expensive tarrifs
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I use a static IP myself as I remote into my home PC from work Smiley
I would imagine most users don't use one, as they don't need, want, know or care about accessing their connection externally.
Makes sense to me that is not offered on Plusnet's entry level product. If there is no incentive for the higher products then no-one would subscribe to them.
Some technical ability is required to configure router port forwarding, and if you can do that then I'm sure you can set up a dynamic DNS service.
I don't use one myself, but know of people who do with no problems.
I can see it's a pain that you don't need the other benefits and just this one, but as has been said, there is an alternative free option.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Alex
Some technical ability is required to configure router port forwarding, and if you can do that then I'm sure you can set up a dynamic DNS service.

Absolutely true.
Why go for the paid option when there's an equally good free one?
Other than maybe for the "thrill of the chase" in trying to prove a point that no-one else seems to agre with?  Cool
Chris
Legend

Nick,
I understand you only want the static IP and not the other benefits of the higher accounts,however as we and other customers have said, this is part of the upsell reason. As a business we have to have rules to distinguish the different products in our set. I've given you the reason why a static IP isn't available on Value.
Please provide name of somebody in Yorkshire that I can discuss

Me, I'm sat in the office here in Sheffield and am currently discussing this with you.

You have a Private Message.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Alex

I don't use one myself, but know of people who do with no problems.

Actually it isn't, provided you can follow written instruction.
There are router specific guides at http://portforward.com/
The DDNS providers also have set up guides in their support sections.
I use DDNS to allow remote access my PVRs and it really isn't that difficult to setup.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Reasons for not using more static IPv4 addresses... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19600718 ; Shocked Shocked
We need to move to IPv6 sooner, not later.  Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cmarks

Wow, Nick you are really making a meal of this.
What it costs PN is irrelevant, all that matters is what they charge.  You are free to pay for it or not, the problem is you have worked out that moving elsewhere will cost you more than £3.50 extra a month.
Best option is to either bite the bullet and pay, use the other offered solutions or move to another ISP.  You know which one most of us on here think is the best bet.
I am sure there are buttons on your car that you never push and all that speed that it can do but you do not have the chance to use it - did you negotiate a discount for those too?  Oh, and just think about all those features on MS Word that you never use, I would give Bill Gates a call and negotiate the price on that too.