Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorry to be Leaving

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Sorry to be Leaving

I fully understand the service frustration experienced here. Another SU has also raised concern in the private discussion.

I hope you get better speeds with your new provider ... once BTOR has located the fault location.

Note the speeds you’ve been quoting. Are the line synch speeds (which is what is guaranteed) or data throughput speeds ... which are not.

Good sync speed but poor data throughout points away from the line towards the back-haul (BTw) capacity.

Connection stability - has that been shown to be lines sync instability ... or end user perceived stability?

The last question is if particular interest. I’m doing some new router / modem testing and I’m seeing a lot of intermittent internet connectivity issues ... if it were not for the fact I’m seeing this on my main laptop (which I’m on for several hours a day) I would be suspecting line instability ... if it were not for the fact that I have permanent line performance monitoring running on another computer ... which clearly reports the line as being sound.

I’m presently suspecting the laptop’s NIC. Though having your background I’m sure that is something you will have evaluated. I have a new NIC to be installed ... when I’ve got time to do it in a controlled manner.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sacha100
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Townman 

I fully understand the service frustration experienced here. Another SU has also raised concern in the private discussion.

• I am not surprised, I do not no or understand what is happening within PlusNet, there defiantly seems to be a trend appearing which does not look good It could be because BT are now pulling the strings and are restructuring the infrastructure within such.

I hope you get better speeds with your new provider ... once BTOR has located the fault location.

• That is my hope, I fully understand changing suppliers will not rectify the ongoing problem's experienced but at least I will be able to call upon the services as my line will be running below the minimum guaranteed speed.

Note the speeds you’ve been quoting. Are the line synch speeds (which is what is guaranteed) or data throughput speeds ... which are not.

• I understand line sync speeds and data throughput speeds, as you rightly stated both are different and only one is guaranteed.
  • Even though I have been on a 40 Meg contract with a minimum guaranteed speed of 34Mbps, I fully understood that the best I could have hoped for was 34Mbps anything above would and has been a bonus.
  • The point I am making is due to the distance/closeness of the fiber cabinet to me property meant being on a 40 Meg contract see me have a data rate of 40/10 thought the first complete contract, receiving  throughput speeds at the PC of 37.79 Mbps down and 9.38 Mbps up respectively.

Good sync speed but poor data throughout points away from the line towards the back-haul (BTw) capacity.

• The problem is there is so much instability now that I do not see good sync speed which in turn have the impact on data throughput.

Connection stability - has that been shown to be lines sync instability ... or end user perceived stability?

• I would say it is sync instability, I did flag up some time ago with a few techs and have done so many times regarding what I can see at the router Send Termination Request.
  • The first contract see a stable line with hardly any router Termination Request if any at all, on the second contract and then on I have seen many Send Termination Request which happen at least three to four times a week, in my eyes this would be looked at as an instability issue of which the line would then be downgraded.
  • As stated I have mentioned the possibility of the routers software being an issue hear but nothing has ever come of it.

The last question is if particular interest. I’m doing some new router / modem testing and I’m seeing a lot of intermittent internet connectivity issues ... if it were not for the fact I’m seeing this on my main laptop (which I’m on for several hours a day) I would be suspecting line instability ... if it were not for the fact that I have permanent line performance monitoring running on another computer ... which clearly reports the line as being sound.

I’m presently suspecting the laptop’s NIC. Though having your background I’m sure that is something you will have evaluated. I have a new NIC to be installed ... when I’ve got time to do it in a controlled manner.

• Instability at the PC or Router are two different things, unless the PC is causing spike or software request to the router to dropout/ lose connection from the main server I can no reason whatsoever of this having any impact on the Data rate at the router.
  • As you know my background being Electrical data engineer installing essential structured cabling that was fifteen to twenty years ago, since then I have worked with the likes of Intel, AMD, Asus, NVIDIA and a few others as a technical advisor and marketer as well as working with PSU suppliers dealing with issues such as clean lines and eddy currents/magnetic fields and the effects it has onto days technology.  
  •  I am by no means bragging but some of the technology you see today and use today with the likes of speed step, thread capabilities, core system optimization and overclocking has had some of my input in it.
  • My claim to fame was being third in the worlds clocking championships, where by running at the highest possible speeds and running programs and stress test using either liquid nitrogen or liquid helium which allowed the cooling down of the computer to nearly -269 C I have also broken many world records in reaching such.
  • I am not saying I am a brain box far from it that would have been the guys at Intel or AMD designing and building wafers but as you can see do know my way around things when it comes to data and Pc’s.
  • PlusNet does have a few wonderful people that still work there, I just feel sorry for them as am sure there is a bigger picture to what is going on within the structure of PlusNet now it is owned by BT.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Reading here - https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/quot-PPP-LCP-Send-Termination-Request-quot-analysis/t... - if the analysis is correct, then the termination is at the LCP layer (below PPP but above xDSL) - which implies that this is NOT a line sync issue, but possibly a loss of PPP*.  It is also note worthy that this user also reports that the issue appeared to be more noticeable AFTER a product upgrade.

Have you ever tried using something other than the Plusnet Hun One Router (which is a BT HH5a in pretty colours)?  Personally I have never been a fan of anything made by BT ... going back to when they made telephone handsets at four times the price of far better models from other suppliers.

In the meantime, though this is probably a lost cause, I have flagged this up to another within the SU group who looks after routers.

* Are you on a static or dynamic external IP address?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sacha100
Rising Star

@Townman 

Hi I did not upgrade my second contract it remained 40/10 agreement so should not have changed anything, the funny thing is though as soon as i agreed to renew within a few days the problem's stated that was 18 months ago. The line is static so again should have no bearing on what is happening, as for routers i could have introduced a third party router quite easily something I used to do before fiber but not now as you would guess the supplier would turn round and say it is the router i was using causing the problems, by using the Hub One Router there can be no doubt or any other explanation.

Just had a text and Email from PlusNet asking if i wish to stay with them and offed me an incentive to do so,  i find this very strange as you know it is prohibited for the current ISP to be contacting me with any offer or incentives to stay with them.

I think you should if possible flag this one up right away as i new Plusnet seem to be on a downward spiral but in the wrong hands this would not help there cause.

sacha100
Rising Star

@LaurenB @Townman 

Well if you thought the incompetence could not get any worse, not only did Plusnet break the conduct rules by offering me an intensive to remain with them yesterday, today i have received a letter telling me as i will be terminating my contract before the end date i will be charged accordingly. ( See attached Letter )

As you know there was a compete balls up when i did decide to remain with Plusnet, the contract i did agree to which had a minimum guaranteed speed of 35Mbps this contract did not go though of which i was told a week latter, i was then offed to have this put though which i agreed to this was on the 24th June, unfortunately the confirmation email i received stated that the minimum guaranteed speed was now 29Mbps of which i did not agree to and asked for this contract to be cancelled.

So if i am getting this right i asked for the contract which began on the 24th June to be canceled within the 14 day cooling off period as it did not represent what i had previously agreed to.

I have left Lauren a message on the Ticket but as we know these sometimes go unanswered for weeks on end i thought it best to mention it as well. To note i have keep a full log of the transcripts that have taken place which can and will be used in a court of law if needed.

I did not agree to the above contract as it did not represent the acknowledged email i received previously stating the minimum guaranteed speed of 35Mbps.

The connection of the undernourished minimum guaranteed speed contract did not take place until the 24th June and was subsequently asked to check on this on the 25th June of which i received a reply on the same day stating that nothing could be looked into yet.

I then further received a reply on the 1st July stating (As per your cooling off period, should you be unhappy with the terms you have that time frame to cancel should you wish) of which i had asked for this contract to be cancelled.

If i have this right the new contract i was put on started the 24th June, that should then given me until the 7th July to cancel as to the ruling of a 14 day cooling off period.

I find this strange, as from the 24th June 2020 to the 1st July 2020 is 8 days and within the levy given of cancellation, so why would i have received such letter of intent to state i will be leaving before the minimum term.

I hope that this can be looked into and cleared up.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Just to be clear, I am a customer. This issue has been escalated as something being watched by the super users.

sacha100
Rising Star

@Townman Fully understand and you have been most helpful, as you will appreciate i am  getting very frustrated with being unable to get a straight answer which you would have thought would be easy, wish i had left when i first made my decision to rather than being talked round to stay.

I understand the Covid thing I do but this is beyond a joke now.

Thank you again Townman for your help in trying to get someone to even look at this.

sacha100
Rising Star

Hi all just want to let you all know the switch over completed smoothly without any problems this morning, i fully understand the system has got to go though the stranded training but am already seeing a big improvement, so it may just be worth looking into software manipulation.

Thank you all once again for the past support and help you have shown it was very much appreciated.

Take care and stay safe. ps have uploaded new router speed for your viewing.

Paul