cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So long, farewell Auf Weidersehen, goodbye......

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

So long, farewell Auf Weidersehen, goodbye......

After six months and with engineer number number ten or eleven (or is it twelve) due to arrive later this morning, it's time to move on I think. Will they be able to finally resolve my über slow download speed? I very much doubt it, so on that expectation I will be giving notice to quit and will be asking for a refund for a service not had and for one I will not be getting for the next month.  It may well be of course that I will still have issues with another ISP, but it cannot be any worse than those I have been getting since the beginning of last March.

Your time and effort in this matter is appreciated plusnet, it's just unfortunate for the both of us that British Telecom are unable for whatever reason to fix the problem. You will no doubt have your own arrangement to recover any costs from them.

Ciao

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
8 REPLIES 8
nadger
Rising Star

Re: So long, farewell Auf Weidersehen, goodbye......

Unless you're switching to Virgin one wonders how changing ISPs will help.

If you're not using fibre then an adsl llu provider may help.

Minivanman
Legend

My thoughts as well nadger including the llu provider, but what else to do?

The engineer has not long left and tell me that the AC balance (which is the noise on the line I guess) is at 52db and should be no less than 60db. We are 4.4Km from the exchange and the line speed leaves at around 8meg and should arrive us at around 4 and a half meg rather than the less than the half of 1 meg which we are getting. All a bit out of my ballpark of understanding I must admit. Hopefully he will phone back as promised but with all due respect to the guy, I do not see the issue being sorted any time soon.

What a pity to leave plusnet on such a sour note. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@nadger wrote:

one wonders how changing ISPs will help

The way I see things is that there are two sorts of customers. Those that just sit on their hands when things go wrong, and those that bang on the door and demand to see the manager.

I've generally been a door banger. Plusnet are BT's customer. What sort are they?

Minivanman
Legend

They remind me of a poor solicitor trying get some sense out of an even worse barrister. My Mrs made the comment this morning that because of their close association with BT it must be like complaining to a relative rather than somebody you do not know.  Either way, it does seem rather half hearted at times.

Me? I'm a door banger and a door kicker - or as Mrs Minivanman says, a right royal pain in the derrière!

Herman Melville
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

As per your other current thread,try A & A -BUT BE PREPARED FOR MUCH HIGHER BILLS!!

Minivanman
Legend

I have and never have a had any issue with current plusnet charges where the are fairly applied, but you must agree, those phone calls and broadband charges are just an aside to the real meat on the bone - which is the line rental. Point proved is that plusnet (after me threatening to leave) have now offered me broadband for £2.50 a month along with six months free anytime calls.  

Herman Melville
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I'd regard £2.50 pm for barely usable broadband to be the insult! Many (inc me!)have negotiated free broadband - and I get ~ 16Mb download -but we all have to pay the line rental -can't remember anyone posting a discounted line rental price? You have to go to the likes of Sky and TT to get line rental deals -and that really would be frying pan into fire!!

Minivanman
Legend

I agree david66, but regardless of broadband costs, what's the point of paying for a line rental that does not give you even half decent internet, would you? Give me anywhere near 16Mb or even the 3.5Mb I was getting up until six months ago and I would be more than happy to pay for it. 

Here's the deal then, free broadband, download of less than 1Mb...... and a line rental of lets say £16 a month. Cheque in the post, or direct debit? Smiley

Herman Melville