cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So long and thanks for all the fish...

Estragon
Rising Star

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish...

@w23
Yes, but you are quoting from 13 July from a response to a post that seemed at the time to be simply about the LRS balance that would be lost. The poster didn't say they also had the Anytime Calls package.
I can't remember which thread(s), but IIRC at least twice I have agreed since then that people with that package are indeed affected. (Material detriment). That's why they are being offered the get-out :).
gofaster
Rising Star

Quote from: Estragon
That's why they are being offered the get-out :).

But .. but.. but ... the "free" get-out will cost me more than the increase in the call package  Crazy
To be truly free I would need a pro-rata refund of any unused LRS
Estragon
Rising Star

Fully agreed already in the other thread(s) :).
h_milsom
Grafter

My penalty-free transfer away from PN to BT happened today with only a few hours downtime.
Excellent ping of 28mS and Down of 15+Mb/s & Up >1Mb/s
I'm happy.
I send all who remain with PN my best wishes.
Hugh
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Estragon
Fully agreed already in the other thread(s) :).

Hope you didn't think I was having a go at you (sorry, I haven't read all the other threads), just pointing out a situation where the 'get out free' simply doesn't work (it certainly doesn't for me - I either lose 9 or 10 months of pre-paid line rental or I stay and absorb call package and call charge increases).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
g1000
Grafter

Quote from: gofaster
But .. but.. but ... the "free" get-out will cost me more than the increase in the call package  Crazy
To be truly free I would need a pro-rata refund of any unused LRS

Indeed. I can highly recommend emailing contact@ofcom.org.uk to anybody who finds Plusnet are not obliging Smiley
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

I'd love to go to AAISP but I looked last night and after scratching my head a bit I concluded that it's £40pcm for an 80/20 service with 100GB allowance (more than enough for me). Now several times over the years I've pointed out to people that you get what you pay for but going from £23pcm to £40pcm is a bit mad. So I dunno. One of the things I liked about my PN is that it's unlimited (I had a problem with my email server in early 2013 and nearly chewed through the allowance my previous ISP gave me). And to be fair - the service I get from PN is usually enough and if it isn't a gateway hop or three should sort it out.
Oh and another thing I need which narrows my search somewhat is a static IP address.
I'll keep looking but it may be better to just stay out of contract and try and avoid talking about ISP choice with my knowledgeable friends  Lips_are_sealed
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

100GB i hope rather than 100MB
Andrue
Pro

Haha - yeah, good catch. I've corrected that.
dick:quote
leader
Grafter

Its not mad going to £40+  (value /price et'al)
No peak time slow downs over here or any l2tp scaling issues.
Keep an eye out for the new  backhaul* provider  fftc product coming out in the not to distant future, with a sizable increase in usage allowance ( * rhymes with stalk ..you didn't hear it from Webif shhh)
Some seem to be pushing  Pulse8 for some reason?
Pulse8 are just a TalkTalk Business  re-seller - They have no LNS's and just "manage accounts" with the opal api.
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: Webif
Its not mad going to £40+  (value /price et'al)
It is if you don't really get much you don't already have (and I'd go from unlimited down to 100GB allowance). I've had to jump gateways twice this year and aside from that PN has given me full speed 24/7. It doesn't offer IPv6 but then I've had that and it's still irrelevant and not worth worrying about.
AAISP appeals to my technical side but from a financial POV it's just too far out there.
Estragon
Rising Star

That was why I started looking at line rental prices.
AAISP do line rental at £10pm but it is line only. No phone service at all. Adding their VOIP to it is £2pm IIRC. I didn't fancy that, having looked into it n a bit more depth.
That's why in the end I plumped for Pulse8 WLR3, as I expect you know. The jury is still out regarding my FTTC. Line transfer due Tuesday 28th.
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: Webif
Some seem to be pushing  Pulse8 for some reason?
Pulse8 are just a TalkTalk Business  re-seller - They have no LNS's and just "manage accounts" with the opal api.

I don't see that as a problem. But any discussion needs to be outside this particular forum.
chrcoluk
Grafter

makes you wonder if in 5 years aaisp will be the cheapest isp. Smiley
they not abusing line rental whilst just about everyone else is doing 5+% increases every year, eventually the prices will meet each other.