cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Six weeks to get a phone and still not over yet

MrsH

Six weeks to get a phone and still not over yet

We moved house on 30 September and on 12 November are still waiting for Plusnet to sort out our phone. We’d ordered Broadband on 22 September and that has worked from Day One but the system does not seem able to cope with setting up a new phone number.
Here is a simplified version of the story:
There is a working line here, the phone was working when we moved in, but then the previous owners had a new line put into their new home and the BT Openreach engineer insisted they transfer their number. So we needed a new number but Plusnet placed the order on the old number despite our protests. We had the order cancelled and resubmitted on 13 October, with a charge of £49.99 and a working date of 31 October. On 31 October they told us our phone was working, we told them it wasn’t; this process was regularly repeated. (NB we’ve had to use an expensive mobile with a dodgy signal - often outside in freezing temperatures).
Three times the following week I thought that the CSR had understood the seriousness of the situation and was going to do something about it. They phoned the number Plusnet claimed was working and got the previous occupant. Fine. Then someone else did it again, much to her understandable annoyance.
Finally I got someone who pestered the technical staff till he got a suggestion of what to do. I was given a magic number to phone to discover what telephone number was attached to this house. Progress! Getting a phone connection was still going to take the best part of a week to 11 November. In the mean time we were being charged not only for line rental for the original number, now in use by someone else, but also for the phone calls made on  it. I can see the record of calls made, which seems a very serious breach of privacy.
On 11 November we’d had no confirmation that the set up had been completed but I tried the phone in mid afternoon and it worked on the new number. Today, 12 November we’ve been told our broadband order has been resubmitted. Why? The phone records still show the original number and someone else 's calls.
Huge number of issues here but  one is, how can any system allow a problem to drag on for this long without a senior individual taking ownership of it? I am amazed this is the case in a company like Plusnet which sells itself on customer service reputation.
Secondly Plusnet do not seem to have any working means of communication with BT Openreach and therefore are not in a position to provide new phone lines, so should not be offering this service. The friend who recommended Plusnet is mortified and all thought of tranferring her phone service have long gone.
My patience wore out long ago. I am now in despair, wondering if this will ever end.
If someone in the forum could sort this out, I might get a decent night’s sleep at last.
6 REPLIES 6
Mand
Grafter

Re: Six weeks to get a phone and still not over yet

Hi there,
I'm really sorry about all the problems you've had so far with the move.
I've just updated the rest of your details, so at least your account shows the correct information.
I'll pick up the other issues when I'm back in the office tomorrow.
If possible could you please PM me a suitable number to call you on tomorrow afternoon?
MrsH

Thanks Mand. I do wish I'd discovered this forum a month ago.
You can try phoning the number which you have updated, if that has ceased to work, try the mobile number which is also listed on the lengthy open question.
Mand
Grafter

Thanks.
I'll do some digging tomorrow and then give you a call.
MrsH

Friday 13th may be lucky for some.
I had two phone calls from Plusnet today - one from S Africa trying to reassure that I wasn't going to lose my broadband, just because they told me the order was being re-placed.
And then a call from Mand reassuring me that everything is sorted out and offering a refund of the unnecessary connection charge and some free broadband months.
I won't completely uncross my fingers until the broadband is officially transferred to my correct number, and until I can see my own calls rather than someone else's on my phone record.
But more has happened in the past twenty four hours than in the previous forty two days. 
Lesson to be learnt? Use the Rants forum. There are some  folk at Plusnet who can solve problems - but it's very hard to find them through the standard system.
Thank you Mand.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi MrsH, welcome to PlusNet.
Hopefully you won't have to use the Rants forum again Wink
There is a good range of boards where you can usually get all the help you need not only from other PN customers like me, but from members of the PN Comms team - like Mand.
If you then find your problem is not being resolved satisfactorily or quickly enough, then feel free of course to come here and have a jolly good rant Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Re:Six weeks to get a phone and still not over yet

I'm glad I could help and, again, I'm sorry for the problems you've had so far.
Everything should now be sorted for you, but you have my direct contact details if not.