cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed up to Fibre but now getting SPAM SMS Messages!!

Pulse8

Signed up to Fibre but now getting SPAM SMS Messages!!

I do not know where to post this but as I have just signed up to fibre I guess this is the correct place.
I signed up to the  "Unlimited Fibre - Broadband and calls" package the other day (40Mbps / 20Mbps) and am looking forward to getting connected.
I am a little hesitant as I have a perfectly good ADSL connection getting around 14-16 Mbps constantly but with only 0.8Mbps upload but thought I would take the chance and test fibre out as I guess I would get a good speed on fibre too and also massively improve my upload speed too.
When I signed up I was asked to provide a mobile phone number in case Plusnet needed to contact me. Now I do not usually give my mobile number out to anyone other than to people I trust but thought in this case it was a good idea so provided my mobile number.
During the sign up I made 100% sure that my mobile number could NOT be used for any other purposes other than plusnet to contact me if they needed to and to update me on the progress of my installation.
I can not remember if it said "untick if you do not want to receive SMS messages" or if it said "tick if you do not want to receive other messages", but whichever it was I made 100% sure I did the correct thing to ensure I did not get any spam, I thought therefore I would NEVER receive any SMS messages from anyone other than Plusnet and put my trust in them by providing my mobile number.
However....
Yesterday however I received my first ever SPAM SMS to my mobile only a few days after I gave Plusnet my mobile number!!!!
I have had my mobile number many many years and barely ever give it out to anyone other than family and friends but yesterday at 16.49 I received a SPAM SMS message to my mobile from someone called "SP Energy" asking me to go to their website and look at their cheap energy deals.
then shortly afterwards at 17.35 I received an SMS update on my order from Plusnet
If this is a coinsidence I would be very very surprised as in the last 4 or 5 years I have never had any SPAM on my nuymber and it seems very strange that the other day I gave plusnet my number and also that within the hour I also got a message from Plusnet.
If Plusnet have given my number out I am furious!!! and appalled that they would give personal numbers out by their customer who trust them.
If I am now on some spam database I will not be happy.
I would like Plusnet to ensure that if they have given my number out (or worse still someone has access to customers personal details) that they remove my mobile number from ANY databases and ensure I NEVER receive any more SMS messages.
I signed up with Plusnet because I thought they looked a good trustworthy company and this (if it is true) is very very bad and dishonourable service.
I just hope nothing further comes through to my phone and Plusnet look in to this and find out how my number has seemingly become available for SPAM messages
Not very happy so far!  Angry
7 REPLIES 7
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Re: Signed up to Fibre but now getting SPAM SMS Messages!!

Are you certain it was about cheap energy deals from SP Energy?
As far as I can tell, SP Energy is a Electrical Distribution Network Company (known as a "DNO", in the Industry) who I believe do NOT supply direct to domestic customers! Effectively they could be described as a "sub-contractor" to your current supplier!
However, if this is the case, please be aware that throughout the Industry/Country, DNOs ARE making contact with Consumers to make them aware of what to do in a Power Cut - this follows recommendations set by the Department of Energy & Climate Change (DECC). THis follows an in-depth investigation into the problems occurring during the winter of 2013/14.
DNOs have been requesting all sorts of personal data, from YOUR Electricity Supplier (including email addresses & telephone/Mobile numbers). Your Electrical Supplier is meant to comply with the Data Protection Act & seek your authority BEFORE passing this information on - unfortunately, some suppliers have just given out this info WITHOUT seeking this authority!
How do I know about this? Because I received an "out-of-the-blue" email from my local DNO & they had obtained my Data (WITHOUT MY AUTHORITY) from my Supplier! Needless to say, in my case, it is the subject of an on-going Formal Complaint!
HTH.
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

@ Pulse8
I'm sorry to hear about this spam message you have received. I can, 100% confirm that Plusnet do not pass on your personal details to third party companies. The only messages you will receive are from Plusnet and nobody else. JohnJ_B is absolutely correct that your existing provider for energy services may have already given out this data without your authority.
Cheers
Ben B
thunderer
Grafter

To report a spam text forward the text to 7726.
You may get an automated response thanking you for the report and giving you further instructions if needed. You will not be charged for sending texts to 7726.
An easy way to remember ‘7726' is that they are the numbers on your telephone keypad that spell out the word ‘SPAM'.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

It's 87726 if on Vodaphone.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Quote from: Ben
I can, 100% confirm that Plusnet do not pass on your personal details to third party companies.

Sorry Ben,
I simply have to challenge that assertion.  PlusNet do (have) passed on customer's email addresses to 3rd parties who handle PlusNet's marketing activities (mailshots).  That is thought to be how email addresses, uniquely associated with PlusNet billing / account record,s have become widely SPAMMED as discussed here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133959.0.html
If your assertion is indeed 100% correct, then one has to conclude that the leak of data discussed in the above thread came from within PlusNet, even if it cannot be identified, when, how and by whom.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pulse8

Hi and many thanks to all who responded to my initial post, I have been very busy the last few days so did not have time to reply until now but felt it only correct to do so and to clear things up (for the sake of Plusnet & other members).
Firstly the message I received was sent via sms and came from "SP Energy"
The Text in the message stated:
Our cheapest energy tariff comes without exit fees!
See what it means for your pocket @ http://sp.uk.com/?jsdhgfhgsd

(I have actually changed the end lettering on the link so it can not be followed)
Now I would never normally follow a link as it is most likely spam and may alert someone that it has been clicked and of my existance (which equals more spam) but with what JohnJ-B had kindly stated I felt I needed to find out the source so decided to see where it lead.
I can confirm when I followed this link it actually went to a webpage from Scottish Power offering new deals, so the "SP Energy" were in fact Scottish Power.
Scottish Power are actually my current energy supplier and to the very best of my knowledge I have never given them my mobile number (nor permission to send me sms messages) but as they are my supplier I can only assume they have got it somehow and I guess it was just a coincidence that this messages was the first ever spam message I have received sent shortly before I received the SMS from Plusnet.
So
@ Ben B
Thanks for confirming that, it is reassuring to know and it seems it was my energy supplier who was to blame who somehow have my mobile number (even though it is not shown in my account, nor have I ever given them it - to the best of my knowledge). It is good to know that Plusnet respect their users privacy which is how it should be

@ JohnJ-B Many thanks for your input and help, as you can see the SP Energy was Scottish Power so that is cleared up, Many thanks

Thanks also to everyone else who had an input.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Plus8,
BTW welcome to the forums.  Though your first visit was not for positive reasons, I hope you'll stay around and contribute where you can.
Finally, it is right big of you to come back and clarify the background of your concern and your findings - most grumblers would not have bothered.
+1 respect point!

Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.