cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed up and Not happy at all.

anthgood
Grafter

Signed up and Not happy at all.

I am posting this for help as I really have little confidence in this process now to be honest.  To be quite frank when I seen horror stories of being messed around by BT openreach I knew I would be one of the people affected. And with no surprise, I am.
Ordered Fibre broadband on the 4th July 2014. Arranged for the installers to come today on the 14th July in the PM (so 1pm to 6pm).
I stayed in all day waiting for them to arrive. And nothing, no emails, no phone calls, nothing just nobody turned up.
I telephoned plusnet and had the 15 min wait before even being spoken to. And got one of the most miserable people I have ever spoken to on the telephone. She immediately put me on hold to look into the issue.
10 mins later (three full songs of hold music) - what could she possibly be doing for 10 mins given it was one paragraph she was told by Openreach. The agent returns to say there is a problem with the cabling at my main exchange, there is no timeframe for when this will be fixed. This is not me paraphrasing this is what I was told.
This got me worried. So I am now wanting to know what this means and when I can expect to get my fibre connected. Was told she does not know when I will get it. Asked her to make a worst case scenario estimate. She said she will speak to someone.
On hold a further 10 mins now. (Starting to get the idea as to why its so busy and such a long wait to get through to you guys if this is the wait for a simple question) She comes back with no timescale possible but she will email the suppliers to find out what can be done and to ask them to me back in 48hrs.
Then she says that the engineers (conveniently) messaged them today at 4pm to say there is a problem with the cabling. Then she switched it to say that you were actually first told really on the 4th July I wouldn't be able to get Fibre due to this cabling issue (then why did you book my installation for today if you knew this!).
I asked her to message me the wording of the problem from Openreach and this is what I was sent by her
Please be advised the cable link is not yet complete. We will review progress with the planners and can advise to check for further updates in two weeks Customer Update Please be advised your order has been delayed due to VLAN/Cable Link not being completed. We apologise for the Delay in Progressing your Order. Review Date: 30/07

So ok, from googling I can say my exchange has been active for Fibre since September 2013 (and many people have fibre with it) but my Cabinet at the end of the street has only been active for Fibre since 30th June of this year.
I have little faith of being called back as Openreach do not speak to people on the phone. Something the customer service rep said to me when I asked for their number, and something the agent then stumbled when I asked if they wont speak to customers on the phone why are you promising they will call me back.
Sky are seemingly begging me to return to them who I have left to come to you. And have offered me half price everything for a year if I come back as I was with them for 14 years. So after this shambles I really am thinking of cancelling this contract (If I still can) and going back to them,.
Please can someone give me some coherent answers;
1. When can I expect my Fibre connection being active (is it really the 30th July when it will be switched on, or even later than that, or will it be earlier than that)
2. Why if you were told on the 4th July I couldn't get fibre did you setup this installation and make me sit in all day today for it knowing they weren't going to turn up
10 REPLIES 10
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Signed up and Not happy at all.

Quote from: anthgood
but my Cabinet at the end of the street has only been active for Fibre since 30th June of this year.

Or was scheduled to be active on that date.  What you are being told is that did not happen so it's really anybody's guess when it will be active.  This is totally unsatisfactory, I know, but I don't think there is anything Plusnet or any other ISP can do about it.  They can try to ask BT Openreach but would you trust the answer?
anthgood
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
Quote from: anthgood
but my Cabinet at the end of the street has only been active for Fibre since 30th June of this year.

Or was scheduled to be active on that date. 

I don't agree with this as when I put my phone number into
btwholesale.com
It states its available and gives me speeds for it.for my individual cabinet.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

So what does
VLAN/cable link not being completed
mean?  If this is not you here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4341898-installation-delay-question.html then there is another Plusnet client in identical circumstances.
anthgood
Grafter

No thats not me, but I also found that on googling the comment in the email.
dick:quote
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Well 'MrSaffron' on ThinkBroadband knows his stuff (far more than I do).
If I put my number into the availability checker ( https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html ) I am told FTTC is available but there is no fibre cabinet yet erected near my nearest phone cabinet (which I presume serves me) and the other recently-erected fibre cabinets in my area do not hum so I don't think they are live yet.  Go listen for yourself.  Active fibre cabinets require cooling so have fans which make noise.
Anyway, I don't believe what the availability checker tells me is correct.   
anthgood
Grafter

Can someone from Plusnet please reply to confirm which is correct.
First email I received said
Account username: anthgood
We have been advised that the appointment to install your new broadband service has been changed to 05/08/2014, PM.

Second email I received said
I can now confirm that the order has been accepted and the appointment booked for 05/08/2014 between 8AM and 1PM.  Please ensure that you are at the property during this period as the engineer will need access to install the fibre equipment. If the engineer cannot gain access, a missed appointment fee of £50 will be due.

So first email said PM appointment, second said AM. Which is true? Given that you are threatening me with a £50 charge if I don't let the person in, I wish to know which is correct to ensure I will be in (and I would like to add given this threat, if I take a day off work - again - and this installer does not turn up - again  - can I then ask you for that same £50?).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi anthgood,
First of all I'm sorry that you've not had a staff response to this thread yet and also for the issues you've had getting started with us.
It's definitely a PM appointment (between 13:00 and 18:00)
It's human error as to why this was noted incorrectly on ticket 88554607. I've passed on to some feedback for the agent that made the error stressing in particular that we must take more care especially when there's already been an issue between you signing up and us getting the service activated.
I'd honestly be surprised and highly disappointed if there is an issue with the next engineer visit.
In the unfortunate event of that, I'd first of all advise you to follow the advice in this post: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,112969.0.html and make sure we're aware via another reply to this thread so I can make sure we're straight back on top of this and that we've arranged a goodwill gesture for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
louialive
Grafter

I have had exactly the same problem as you with my installation.
One no show, one engineer visit then saying no capacity in cabinet and now no definite install date
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi louialive,
Just checked your account and it honestly looks like a different issue.
I can see we've picked this up on ticket 87985764.
Hoping to see this resolved soon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
louialive
Grafter

Still not resolved though apparently cross connections should be done by 1st August (I assume 2014)